Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Kwame in a dress. Is this really jourrnalism? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080508/METRO /805080380

What is your personal opinion on the general direction of journalism in the Detroit media market since the mayoral scandal surfaced?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a non-story to another quirky Dennis Tolliver created dust-up you have to wonder why Kwame is paying her anything at all.

Who cares what Jr High play he was in while growing up in Lansing. It doesn't lower my opinion of the man, but having his attack dog deny, deny, deny something that is obviously true does make me question Kwame's judgement.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4215
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read more carefully. This story originated in Washington D.C. not Detroit. It probably wouldn't even have been picked up in Detroit if KK's idiots had just shut up instead of making a stink about it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly, ... same story about that Fla TV station: a non-story that morphs into another example of obfuscation.

http://thehill.com/in-the-know /mayors-office-disputes-role-i n-eighth-grade-play-2008-04-30 .html

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL.

That is totally Kwame. It looks just like him!

LOL.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, I don't see it. It may be him, but you'd have to show me more pics of him at that age.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's a total babe!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's either KK or Biggie Smalls

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would actually admire the fact that young Kwame had enough courage and self-confidence to participate with his classmates and dress up in a costume for a humorous children's play. I am not shocked that he would deny that it ever took place; he seems to deny a lot of things that took place!

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno... I sorta see the resemblance...
Little Orphan Kwame

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think the issue is the picture it is the fact that he lives in his own reality. Deny Deny Deny even on the most stupid of items. It just shows that he doesnt tell the truth and maybe it is a larger issue than each separate news story.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 485
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHO CARES? Geez, if I was the subject of a "controversy" for everytime I dressed as a dude for Halloween or a play...
That said, a much better response from Tolliver would've been to call LAUGHING and say, "no, that kid's adorable, but it's not him." Or if it was him, "yes, what fun those little kids must have had twenty-four years ago."
She's the one that blew it up into a big "controversy."

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Definitely, without a doubt," Jim Thomas, now a Chrysler Corp. electrician, told The Hill. "I can name everyone and it was him. I am the cute blond second from the leader (director Michael Crabb) on the right ... we had a great time doing it.""

I think that's a good spirit to take and probably what everyone else in the play thinks too.

Not only is he lying about it, he's turning back on his childhood friends.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Read more carefully. This story originated in Washington D.C. not Detroit."

That's the reason I find this so embarrassing for the Detroit News. It's a DetNews writer reporting on another newspaper's article. You can't just use another newspaper article as your main source of information for your own article. If you want to run an article on this subject (and I don't know why you ever would, because this is not even news) run the original article from the Washington Post (they're both members of the Associated Press) if the DetNews journalist doesn't have any of his own information to add.

I don't know it all just seems so strange and unprofessional to me...

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denise, is that you?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh good grief, read the posts on this thread. It's news because of the overreaction of KK's flack!

And the original story wasn't in the Washington Post, duh, it was in a Washington, D.C. blog called The Hill. Hardly an AP subscriber.

It's funny.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amgasper, the local story is that the Mayor's people are so crazy as to call Washington and threaten to sue. Its a commentary about the state our City Hall is in.

You are wrong to think that its just a copy-cat story or lazy local journalism or journalism light.

This is a story about real paranoia in our City's Executive suite. Any other time they would have laughed it off. Now its something sue-able, huge libel - or something. They are crazy!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is a story about real paranoia in our City's Executive suite.

And that is pretty much explained in the article with these lines:

quote:

The rapid response -- and continued denials amid mounting evidence -- offer a glimpse into the hair-trigger on which the embattled Mayor's Office staff now operates, and provides an unwelcome parallel to the mayor's text message scandal.

(Message edited by dds on May 08, 2008)

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's funny how defensive the mayor's office has gotten about stories like this.

But if you're looking for bizarre reporting, look at this interview from the News, especially the last part.
http://info.detnews.com/video/ index.cfm?id=2210

I don't think the reporter does a great Conyers impression.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he looks like his mom

kwame

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, just FYI, there is another thread on this topic on the Kwame text message megathread.

And Amgasper01,if Denise Tolliver would learn how to spin out of state stories the right way--or to just leave them be and die without Detroiters hearing about them in the first place--the mayor wouldn't look like as much of a buffoon as he has in recent weeks. Of course, it would also help if he wouldn't lie about a stupid picture like this, when it is so easy to confirm the authenticity. Denise might want to have a talk to him about what the difference between the truth and lie is. Then again, as a spin doctor, she may have forgotten what the difference is between the two.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i can't make up my mind whether it looks like him or not,i'd have to see more pics.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 991
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's gonna need a witch doctor pretty soon if things don't get any better.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACT II - detnews has him admitting that IT IS HIM. He claims that he didn't remember it at first.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps he's worn dresses so many times, that he couldn't remember which time he wore ladies clothes and a wig out in public...

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He looks like Oprah. Maybe he should dress like that for his TV show.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 893
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a real mother all right.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.