Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Some toys from when I was a kid » Archive through May 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Hubley "Rifleman" flip special cap rifle and "The Rifleman" lunchbox w/thermos. I even have an actual cartridge fired from Chuck's flip special Winchester! What a great show.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise your hand if you had a pea shooter. Got in big trouble for hitting the neighbor girl in the eye.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every corner candy store had those and cracker balls. And I saw cracker balls at a $1.00 store recently.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5029
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Creepy Crawlers "Thing Maker" appears about 2/5 of the way into Laurie Kedrick's "I Was Milton Bradley’s Love Child" Part 1 webpage. They also had glow-in-the-dark goop to make the bugs even creepier.

After that became such a success, they came out with an edible version called Incredible Edibles. The tutti fruity flavor was horrible, but still fun. Laurie says "I seem to remember it tasting like ass." TMI!

Laurie Kedrick's "I Was Milton Bradley’s Love Child" Part 2

The best toys are the ones you make yourself. I gutted and old telephone handset and packed it with electronics so it would make a wawawawawa sound when you picked it up. It had a battery so no cord was required. It had a mercury switch to detect when it was picked up. Great gag item!

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 07, 2008)

Jimaz

Post Number: 5030
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Incredible Edible Oven

The Incredible Edible Oven
It worked like a waffle iron. From his mouth to yours!

Bigb23

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

I want to see your Tape Measure. (2/5ths),(5/7ths)? You must have had too much glow in the dark goop. :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 5031
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I want to see your Tape Measure. (2/5ths),(5/7ths)?

I'm just trying to help folks position their scroll bar out of respect for their time, although I think most of us would want to read the whole page anyway.

Another toy I made was a rubberband gun. Not just the simple clothespin design. No, no. That's not good enough.

I cut the two big parts (outlined in black) out of a 1/8th-inch-thick nylon sheet. The small circles are pins stuck into a 12-inch ruler (in gray) that was the barrel. The top brown rectangle is the rubber band to be shot (hooked around the other end of the ruler). The other two brown lines represent a weaker rubber band that resets the whole mechanism after each shot.

Rubber Band Gun Trigger
When the trigger is pulled, the wheel's hook on the ammo undergoes a catastrophic failure so there's very little friction unlike some other designs.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Cad system are you using?
And don't say Etch-a-sketch.:-)

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember an accessory that was basically an aluminum tube with a flapper valve built into one end,that had a tab that stuck out. Looked like a tail pipe.This tube had a bracket that allowed you to mount the thing to the stud on the rear wheel of your bike. When the tube was mounted and the flapper tab was oriented into the spokes of your bike, it sounded just like a motorbike when you pedaled it. Worked on the same principle as the playing card and the clothes pin, but more robust.Seems like I bought a few at Western Auto supply back in the 50's. The flapper didn't last al;l that long ,as it was made out of some plastic/nylon material that eventually snapped off. End of motor noise.Could not be repaired.It was really neat though.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the Playmobile, Deluxe Toys had others listed in their catalog. I recall other children having the "Suzy Smart" desk, "Jimmy Jet", "Mighty Mo" or the hair dryer.
deluxe 1

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite G.I. Joe. Mom used to get pissed because I always had the slop-sink in the basement filled to the brim so I could play with it.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My younger sister had the Easy Bake Oven, made "pancakes" with it on the first try, and asked me to try one. Not certain but I think the mix was included with the oven...most awful tasting pancake ever!!

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen - that thingmaker with the bugs and the flowers was one of my favorite Christmas gifts ever - and I could remember what that plasticgoop smelled like until just a few years ago.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope to put some new life into this thread. Here are a few things I have held onto.

Tin Trucks

Spacemen

Wonder Bread Premiums and Safety Patrol Belts

Matchbox BP

Matchbox Police

Michigan State Police

Flanders_field,
I have fond memories of the Easy Bake oven. One of my best friends had a sister that I liked very much, and she had the oven going one day while I had her brother tied to the clothes line pole.

The reason he was tied was because we were seeing who could escape the bindings quicker.

I was enjoying Oatmeal cookies with her on the back porch and only leaving her company only long enough to recheck his knots!

Life was good! lol

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved my Verty-Bird,
and I guess Sis lover her Snowcones!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone loved Twister.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have the two cars that came with this set.
A Gold T-Bird and a Red Cougar.

Walkie Talkies are long gone.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electric Football

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the snow cone machine but it didn't come with enough syrup.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE this thread
My dad flew outta selfridge, the bx there had a german toy called fischer tecnique, it was a lego on steroids. Motors, gears, only the deiters could come up with something so intricate, it was truely awsome. I got a new set every year.
Johnson an smith, thanks for the link. I always was asking my mom to take me to mt clements so I could go to the "presumed" store they had there. I loved thoes catalogs and just ordered my new one through the link provided earlier.
I inherited a vibrating football, what a racket that thing made.
Bongman, awsome GI JOE, he was a favorite. I had the command tower, unfortunately I threw it down the stairs in a temper tantrum. I regretted that day so much, im still in anger mgmnt.
Im 39 yrs old but was lucky enough to have had the original metal mold creepy crawlers. The later plastic versions creatures shrank after a few days.
With all the lawsuits these days, could they even make a verte bird as a childrens toy?? that was definately a fav. Igota go, check e bay.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone have a Johnny Express? I had the tanker, it was 2 feet long. The remote really sucked down the batteries! These were beauties, with removable wheels for flat-fixing, the tanker actually held and dispensed fluids....I had the fork lift too.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that Ragtoplover has posted our childhoods on this thread! lol I really did love my Snow Cone Machine! I agree that it did not come with enough syrup and it was a lot of hard work to grind out even a small snow cone! We did love the electric football, but it sure made a lot of noise! I don't think mom appreciated it nearly as much as we did. I'm sure she was glad when we turned it off!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends of mine are in a comedy sketch group called "Stunt Johnson theater", they perform at local comedy clubs. They have a bit where they spoof all of the toys we had as kids. When they get to electric football one guy stands in position, his arm bent like he is going to hurl a pass, the buzzing sound effect comes on and he just twirls in circles.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite toys/possessions was my transitor radio of which I would like to CKLW while riding my bike (3-speed Free Spirit from Sears) up and down the sidewalk.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ever hear of Pulsar the action figure, i got one in my moms basement. he coulda been from the land of forgotten toys, yet when i got older i heard the story of how my mom got him and i was more thankful at 25 then at ten. but then again Pulsar might have just been too creepy in the 1st place.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend that had Merdel Skittles, Pre-video game era
It was the most fun as a kid.
I liked it so much I bought one on eBay a few years back.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all these memories. I keep wanting to say, "yeah, I had that one and loved it", and then I see the next post and same thing happens, so I'll just say thank you to all of you. I guess it isn't that strange that we all played the same games, is it? What is awesome is that Ragtoplover's pictures could be my family pix, also.
We really aren't all that removed from each other, are we?

Jimaz, thanks for the Milton Bradley's Love Child links. I enjoyed them.

Now, I'm going to wonder all night whether my childhood was 38 years ago, or just yesterday.

(Message edited by kathinozarks on May 02, 2008)

Jimaz

Post Number: 5270
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, you are most welcome.

Laurie Kedrick knows how to write an attractive webpage.

Even if this thread dies we can be sure it will be resurrected some day.

See you then!

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the electric football game...the one that had a vibrating "field" which caused the "players" to run wildly all over the board. It was fun though.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ten-cent paper kites with a ten-cent ball of string wrapped around a stick or.... with whatever concoction used as a "tail" for the kite. Life expectancy minimal, crash and burn, re-fabricate. Buy another with your allowance when this one ended up in the trees or power lines without using "For everything else there's Master Card".