Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Harmonie Park lofts? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any info on the building that Mezzanine is in? Are there living spaces in there? Any other downtown loft info (other than boydell) would be great, thanks everyone!

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that bldg is primarily zoned commercial. Are u looking for all residential lofts downtown, or specifically that area?

Chitaku

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown reasonably priced, kind of like boydell sans the noise and junkies. I know there are some lofts downtown not listed online that's why I'm asking. I tried Harmonie Park lofts but they're full.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in that building. There are a spattering of apartments mixed in with some commercial/retail. These are not your typical lofts. They're former office spaces hastily converted to apartments probably 40 years ago based on the bathroom and appliances.

There is a manual elevator which is cool but burdensome when you come home with groceries and have to run up to the 7th floor to bring the elevator down.

The landlord is an extremely old and cranky old woman who is fine as long as she likes you...if you get on her bad side then watch out!

Harmonie Park is an awesome location though and I enjoyed living there. I guess I would say that I preferred living above Coach's Corner more than living in the Merchant's Apparel Building.

There is a third loft building across Harmonie Park from Coach's Corner in the old Pewabic Tile Show Room building. Can't think of the name right now but know someone who lives there and could find out.

Chitaku

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know about Cadillac Sq? They are nicely priced and located.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 618
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live above coaches corner. With the few negatives; heat issues, slow responce to issues, Living in Harmony park has been awesome.

Close to restaurants, bars, a few novelty shops, an scattered clothing stores, its a neighborhood on the verge.

Quicken's arrival to te neighborhood will be a big plus. Even the start of the Paradise Valley project will spark more interest to the area.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys are thinking about the wrong building. above coaches corner is the harmony lofts, which is a boydell building. the lofts above mezzanine are live/work lofts. i believe hamilton anderson (architecture firm) has taken over almost the entire building. however, they're moving to the first national building soon so space may become available. that building was developed by mr. schervish and was still owned by him up until recently, i believe. i think he was foreclosed upon and the DDA now has ownership of it.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, Mezzanine is on Grand River.
Hamilton Anderson is around the corner on randolph.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh whoops; you're completely right! for some reason in my mind i was reading intermezzo, instead of mezzanine. sorry about that!

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at a space in that building. All of the appliances were from the 50's (seriously) which was kind of cool. Huge space. That cranky old lady and the elevator added to the "charm". :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I believe that bldg is primarily zoned commercial."

To clarify, buildings can't be zoned differently by floor for example. If a building contains multiple uses, then it probably has a MUD (mixed use development) zoning.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.