Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Forest Arms Apartments and the Temple of Oddfellows « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering about the current statuses of these two buildings, Forest Arms Apartments on Second Avenue and the Temple of Oddfellows building on Randolph Street. Each of them faced potentially life-threatening injuries in the past few months, with Forest Arms burning in early February and the Temple of Oddfellows partially collapsing in early April. After each event, word was that the building involved faced demolition, which, of course, would be a huge loss, in both cases. Does anyone have any new information about what their fates may be?

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd Fellows looks like some work is being done to it - renovation style, not pre demo style, but come to think of it, I probably don't know the difference.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like there is some major renovation work being done on the Oddfellows. It appears that it will be saved.

Forest Arms future is much more murky. There have been rumors of the Traffic Jam people stepping in and rebuilding it, a la the Beethoven Apt building nearby. However, none of this has been confirmed.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're blocking up the back of the Oddfellows building as I type this.

Atwater

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news about the Oddfellows!

Hopefully Forest Arms will get some great news of its own..

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4763
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody had any faith in the current developers at the Oddfellows, and when that wind came along, it was a convenient time for those people, including the mayor's office, to call for the removal of that historic edifice. It is clear that the renovation plans they had are for real, and the timing of the wind was just bad, and made them look bad. History will thank them for being so vigorous and perservering in carrying out their plans.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 822
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddfellows does look good. Was there on Friday and they've got new windows and are supporting a couple areas on the front with scaffolding or whatever it's called.

I am very excited about this - I love to be pleasantly surprised.

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the back of the Oddfellows today:
http://i177.photobucket.com/al bums/w206/urbanex12/Detroit/10 0_9507.jpg

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4773
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Detroitsky. Awesome to see.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to see rebuilding, but man that looks like bad plastic surgery. God I hate cinder block.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4775
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just the back of a building. Build another building where there's a parking lot and you'll only see that wall from the alley.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like it will be clad in brick when they are done.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to all the windows?

Atwater

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, if they were rebuilding that wall from scratch, why not add in some more windows?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7343
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Temple of the Oddfellows has been saved from the wrecking ball. Quick thinking by the owner who petitioned the city council to keep the historical structure intact for future use.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by it this morning on my way out of town. New windows in the front. Thought to stop and snap a pic, but was late for work.

Glad to see.

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a cell phone shot of the front:

http://i177.photobucket.com/al bums/w206/urbanex12/Detroit/od dfellows.jpg

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsky-
What the heck kind of cellphone is that? Your pics are fantastic.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to worry FocusontheD. They are bricking up the back.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when the Fine Arts Building in Grand Circus Park collapses (which it should very soon!), will that get renovated immediately?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great building. They need to keep that row of buildings standing; wish every historic building owner had that much savvy.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But what about Forest Arms? Any news on it? It still looks roofless. I can't believe they haven't done anything to protect it, even a tarp.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear there is still ongoing issues with the insurance on Forest Arms not wanting to pay out. Until it is settled I imagine there wont be much happening.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no word on the make and model of Detroitsky's mobile phone.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update on forest arms:

today what I would refer to as "construction doors" were installed on the building. see my (terrible quality) mobile phone pic... interesting... someone was paying about 3 men at least one days work to install these types of doors (presumably the 2x4s will be covered) on the three courtyard facing doors.

forest arms door adon

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Temple of the Oddfellows' collapsed rear portion has been nicely fixed with a cinder block inner layer with a good looking brick outer covering. No fire escape to speak of.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.