Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wow, some OC state reps care about the city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11646
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rep. David Law, R-Commerce Township cares so much he is asking for Granholm to remove KK. While I agree Granholm should remove him I am currious how much Mr. Law has 'cared' about Detroit in the past.

Anyone know Mr. Laws record or opinion about the city? I assume he is 'caring' for political convenience but would love to be proven wrong.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080509/NEW S01/80509057

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my recollection, David Law is actually a decent guy and fairly progressive as far as Republicans go. I just have a few second hand accounts to base that assessment on, though they came from pretty good Dems in the area.

I don't know how Detroit-focused he has been in the past, but realistically speaking he's a far-western Oakland county representative. I don't think it's particularly reasonable to expect he eat, sleep, and breathe Detroit and her problems.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could care less if he cared in the past. This is like a spanking that Detroiters need. You'll get the spanking and the lesson because you are loved.

Now stop crying and go to your room until you learn how to vote properly. :-)

Jt1

Post Number: 11648
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't expect himself to be overly concerned with Detroit which is why I posed the question. Has he been concerned in the past or is his concnern here just for political game?

If he has supported the city in how he votes it is great. If he doesn't then I wonder why there is now a concern (If there wasn't one in the past).

He is on the insurance committee so I wonder what his thoughts are in regards to how policies are set in this state.

I'm not questioning if he is decent or not just the integrity of the timing and the concern for Detroit in this instance.

I hope I am wrong and his voting record shows that this is in line with his care and concern for the city and the citizens of the city.

Jt1

Post Number: 11649
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I could care less if he cared in the past. This is like a spanking that Detroiters need. You'll get the spanking and the lesson because you are loved.

That is the question. Is it that he cares or is it from a detached politician grandstanding for his constituency.

quote:

Now stop crying and go to your room until you learn how to vote properly. :-)

Nice. Of course it would be easier to live outside the city, have no voice in who gets voted into office and criticize those that do live in the city. The smiley face doesn't change the fact that is a complete bs remark so you know what you can do with that smiley face.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the Governor have power to remove other elected officials? Can the legislators from Detroit band together and, say, lobby her to remove L. Brooks Patterson from office? Or Mike Bishop?

Jt1

Post Number: 11652
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does the Governor have power to remove other elected officials? Can the legislators from Detroit band together and, say, lobby her to remove L. Brooks Patterson from office? Or Mike Bishop?

I believe the Governor has the power but there would have to be just cause. Being a douchebag that does everything in your power to fight any type of regionalism probably doesn't qualify.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1-

It would be pretty naive to suggest that there wasn't a political component to this. He is running for prosecutor after all. He needs more name recognition and this is the ticket.

But who cares what his rationale is? He may not live in Detroit, but he recognizes, like many on this message board do, that what happens in Detroit impacts the entire metro area. I don't know why we need to have a litmus test for who can and who can't stand up to Kwame.

This is exactly how the Kwame supporters want to frame this debate. You can't have it both ways. You can't demand that suburbanites support the city on the one hand, and deny them any say in what's happening on the other hand.

P.S. I was at time an acquaintance of his at one time, I don't know his feelings on Detroit, but he seemed like an okay guy.

Jt1

Post Number: 11653
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He may not live in Detroit, but he recognizes, like many on this message board do, that what happens in Detroit impacts the entire metro area.

It is true that what happens in Detroit affects the entire region. The question is if he recognized what effects Detroit effects the entire region I am curious if his voting record reflects that.

quote:

I don't know why we need to have a litmus test for who can and who can't stand up to Kwame.

It isn't a litmus test. It is a question if his history shows he is sincere or a hypocrite.

quote:

You can't have it both ways. You can't demand that suburbanites support the city on the one hand, and deny them any say in what's happening on the other hand.

I am not demanding that anyone support anything. If he hasn't previously, through voting record, shown any regard for the city in the past (which I am not saying he hasn't) then he does not have a right to make this political claim.

I think that Kwame needs to go. I do however think that getting rid of Kwame is becoming a cause for people outside the city to show how much they care when many of them haven't cared or
done anything to support/help the city for years.

I am all for the region working to oust Kwame as it does affect the region but I am not for people who ignore the city and the needs of the city then move in to play saviour with some political grandstanding.

Am I good guy if I hit you in the face with a baseball bat but then decide to send roses to the hospital. That is all I am trying to determine with regards to Mr. Law. I would really like to know his views on insurance if he is a champion of the city. Since he is on the insurance committee this would be something to consider.

Unfortunately the informtion on his voting record/bills that he has authored don't really show a whole lot.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is grandstanding by Law. He might be a "decent" guy, if we ignore his drunk driving ways, but he's never had any real interest in Detroit affairs. The worst part of this is that it plays right into Kwame's game play to portray himself as the oppressed mayor picked on by the suburban power brokers. Law would do everyone a favor by sitting down and shutting up.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 704
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartacus, well-said.

"I wouldn't expect himself to be overly concerned with Detroit which is why I posed the question." Perhaps Mr. Law's concern about Detroit, no matter how sporadic, reminds us all that the image of Detroit influences the image of the region and state. As for his political gain from doing this, I can only speculate.

It's funny how if the suburbanites say/do nothing, they are accused of not caring about the City. But when they do say/do something, many Detroiters feel that they're not 'qualified' and don't have a right to say a dang thing. It's a double-edged sword.

My comments are not directed at Jt1, just my general opinions (for what they're worth!). Good thread...

Jt1

Post Number: 11659
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree. Some of us would just like consistency in words and actions of policy makers in this state.

quote:

Perhaps Mr. Law's concern about Detroit, no matter how sporadic, reminds us all that the image of Detroit influences the image of the region and state.

If only that viewpoint was consistent all year around, not just when there is political gain.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Novine, look at L. Brooks Patterson he has had the sense to keep his mouth shut. He summed up perfectly what Law and others should think before opening their mouths, "Until I see a message that refers to the fat-a-- honky north of Eight Mile, I'm not getting involved,".

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.votesmart.org/votin g_category.php?can_id=37820

there is his voting record, judge for yourself. from a quick glance he is for food stamps, HPV information in schools, favors veterans, anti-smoking, pro-helmet, repeal of death tax, ...

not too sure exactly what you're looking for. The State House votes on State issues, so the issues that are purely about Detroit are limited to things that only Detroit has. The Zoo, the DIA, etc

Jt1

Post Number: 11661
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome - Thanks for the link. I did a lot of searching but didn't come across it.

JUst to add, at first glance he supports food stamps issues twice monthly. Different than supporting food stamps but it is good for poor areas that they be distributed twice a month as opposed to monthly.

(Message edited by jt1 on May 09, 2008)

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I am confused... if you are questioning his record, then research his record. I don't know his record, and I'm not even saying he should or shouldn't be doing this. I'm not saying he's being consistent or not. In fact, I didn't really say anything about him or his record, and even said I wouldn't speculate.

My point was this: folks shouldn't be surprised when suburbanites want to do things to alleviate the embarrassment this administration has caused the City. There are plenty of people who live beyond the City's limits who consider themselves "Detroiters". Or at the very least, there are people who proudly identify as suburbanites, but admit that the suburbs and City cannot ignore each other and what affects one affects the other. It's an undeniable connection. At the risk of sounding cheesy, "we're all in this thing together".

Who knows what his true motives are? Frankly, I don't think anyone will succeed in convincing the governor to do this yet, so I don't care about Mr. Law's motives. He may be genuine, he may not. But it's undeniable that Mr. Kilpatrick's Flying Dingbat Circus is affecting the entire *region*.

"Some of us would just like consistency in words and actions of policy makers in this state." You're right! Perhaps you might consider running for office. You seem passionate about certain issues and there is always a need for good public servants :-) If you don't want to run, then I know plenty of good candidates who can use your help. If you're interested in volunteering, feel free to page me on the "Connect" page or feel free to introduce yourself at a forum meetup.

(Message edited by rel on May 09, 2008)

Gnome

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...he supports food stamps issues twice monthly. Different than supporting food stamps but it is good for poor areas that they be distributed twice a month as opposed to monthly.

Hmm, so before you read the bill, or even know who sits on the welfare committee, you parse meaning where there might not be any.

From the evidence before us, no one in Wayne County has the stones to stand up to Kwame' Kwiminals; so if paragons of virtue like Mr. Lemmons Jr, Bert the felon Johnson, Martha the aunt Cheeks, won't step up ... decide for yourself who is helping Detroiters.

Jt1

Post Number: 11664
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome - I assumed that you were referring to this bill: http://www.votesmart.org/issue _keyvote_detail.php?cs_id=1857 4&can_id=37820

when you said at first glance he is for food stamps. That is the only bill that jumped out regarding food stamps. I am not saying that he supports them or doesn't but that bill was how they are issued, not whether they are issued.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This lawmaker is just playing politics. By passing a non binding resolution to request Granholm to oust Kilpatrick, they are putting Granholm in a very awkward position. Something that a Republican lawmaker would love to do. He's basically putting the responsibility on Granholm to resolve this issue. Something he knows she will not get involved in, which will maker her look bad to those who want to make this whole thing disappear.

He doesn't give two shits about Detroit or whats best for Detroit.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As goes the city, so go the suburbs.

Gnome

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this resolution will also force you State Rep to take a stand. Aren't you sick of your Lamar Lemmons and Coleman Young sittting on the sidelines?

District Last Name First Name Party Location Phone E-mail Click on a column heading to sort by that column.
Please note, for locations, HOB = House Office Building and CB = Capitol Building.
001 Gaffney Edward R S 0585 HOB 517-373-0154 edwardgaffney@house.mi.gov
002 Lemmons Jr. LaMar D S 0586 HOB 517-373-0106 lamarlemmonsjr@house.mi.gov
003 Scott Bettie Cook D S 0587 HOB 517-373-1776 bettiecookscott@house.mi.gov
004 Young II Coleman D S 0588 HOB 517-373-1008 colemanayoungii@house.mi.gov
005 Johnson Bert D S 0589 HOB 517-373-0144 bertjohnson@house.mi.gov
006 Cheeks Marsha D S 0685 HOB 517-373-0844 marshacheeks@house.mi.gov
007 Smith Virgil D S 0686 HOB 517-373-0589 virgilsmith@house.mi.gov
008 Cushingberry Jr. George D S 0687 HOB 517-373-2276 georgecushingberry@house.mi.go v
009 Jackson Shanelle D S 0688 HOB 517-373-1705 shanellejackson@house.mi.gov
010 Leland Gabe D S 0689 HOB 517-373-6990 gabeleland@house.mi.gov
011 Hood III Morris D N 0690 HOB 517-373-3815 morrishood3rd@house.mi.gov
012 Tobocman Steve D 155 CB 517-373-0823 stevetobocman@house.mi.gov

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4216
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again the buck gets passed to people who shouldn't even be involved.

I wouldn't want a politician from a neighboring community to demand removal of any of my elected officials. If it were a legal case he would probably be ruled as having no standing.

If the guy wasn't grandstanding and really wanted to help remove KK this isn't the way to go about it. All this is is a Republican political play against Granholm and the Dems.

(Message edited by lilpup on May 10, 2008)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That is the question. Is it that he cares or is it from a detached politician grandstanding for his constituency.

i'm putting my money on the latter

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ? Jt1, I agree with lil pup, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a play against "the Dems". As for the suburban comments, If we are all in this together than why is it always city vs. suburbs?, and what makes every suburban city unite when there is something to be said about the city?

I understand it like this we are all in the southeast region of the state, and all areas are hurt in the wake of this scandal (from a local and global standpoint). So I see it as Grandstanding, and there is another way to go about it.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4217
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, a legitimate action that would carry a lot of weight would be a request for KK's removal submitted by Detroit City Council to the Governor. The only way such a request could be made stronger would be to have the Council's request accompanied by the same request from a slew of city voters.

Maybe somebody could generate a form letter for citizens to fill out and send.

(Message edited by lilpup on May 10, 2008)

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1...let's just have it out already.

Not only DO I NOT LIVE IN DETROIT ANYMORE...I do not live in MI anymore. AM I from Detroit, yes...born, raised and EDUCATED. MLK High, WSU for grad school...do I still pay city taxes...my last paycheck dated May 14th has about $50 coming out...

so kill that whack shyt about folks living in the city or caring about the city.

My smiley face was one of sarcasm...and yes, the writing was on the wall BEFORE the first mayoral election. ALl the voters at the time (including me prior to moving) KNEW full well the mayor was behind the DPS takeover but because our our own insecurities with loving BEING BLACK, you let this man 'blackness' influence your vote.

And during the second election, even though you knew FULL WELL that he used your taxes to kick it at the club and that he never implemented his OWN CAMPAIGN PROMISES of KIDS COPS CLEAN you still voted him him.

So, it could be a Green Party candidate from West Bubba Fuck in the UP to write the resolution, the bottom line is that it needs to be done.

dayum.....

Jt1

Post Number: 11668
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so kill that whack shyt about folks living in the city or caring about the city.

Yes, it certainly is 'whack shyt' expecting people that mouth of about caring about the city to live here. Looks like Madison Heights or wherever lost a treat of a person.

All your bitching from afar does nothing to improve the city so thanks for nothin'.

Jt1

Post Number: 11670
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And during the second election, even though you knew FULL WELL that he used your taxes to kick it at the club and that he never implemented his OWN CAMPAIGN PROMISES of KIDS COPS CLEAN you still voted him him.

If you were in the booth with me you would have seen that I voted for Hendrix. Nice assumptions, but incorrect.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

From the evidence before us, no one in Wayne County has the stones to stand up to Kwame' Kwiminals;

Gnome,

The Wayne County Prosecutor has filed charges against Kilpatrick, and the Detroit city council has asked for his resignation.

Gnome

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, besides Tupac Hunter the othe State politicos have been mute, and squawking about David Law's political motivations gives us a reason to take our eye off the ball.

Kwame has hurt the City, the State, the entire Region and I don't feel bad for a second that Mr. Law's resolution will force the likes of Lamar Lemmons Jr to take a stand and vote for the People or for Kwame.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4220
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Legislature really wanted to squeeze KK they could squeeze the city by fiddling with funding, maybe even drive the city into receivership.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.