Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Packard Plant Photos - 05.09.08 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1618584 3

What a treasure (for folks who like to explore abandoned buildings)

What a disaster (for folks who live nearby and want a better image for Detroit)

Believe it or not, The Packard Plant complex is not entirely abandoned. There are a handful of small, machine or stamping type plants... sprinkled around with the lights on and hard at work.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6592
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with all the boats?

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once heard a story that in abandoned buildings like this and in very desolate Detroit neighborhoods, irresponsible people dump their "beyond repair" boats. Apparently it's rather expensive to dispose of a boat properly?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a number of fiberglass boats when a friend and I were taking photos in the Packard plant several winters ago....I did wonder what on earth boats were doing there!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its crazy because theres at least one boat and motorhome on the second floor, I havnt looked at your pics yet but assume there the ones on ground floor.

In there somewhere I found a light metal tube that looked like a steam pipe. I pulled off the cap it had and there was a folding stretcher inside. It was some kind of emergency stretcher in a can,It just wasnt found. I hid it up there somewhere, I gotta go back and get it, it was in perfect shape.

Thanks for the pics

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's up with "Sg_creative" using the forum (twice now) just to get more exposure for his stock photography?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats his business? I didnt know that. honestly the pics were not that in depth. If he had some good shots of the innards I dont think Id have a prob. I dont know,Ill have to give it some thought. Im still learning here about whats okay and whats not, anyone care to school me?

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he should put them on flickr or some simple flash site if he wants to share them here.

repeatedly linking to a bunch of standard shots of these locations on a stock photography site just seems gross, like spam. it's fine if he wants to show off his photography, but he's really using the forum to try to sell his product, which isn't even all that great.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.