Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Open Grill in City Parks Illegal????? » Archive through May 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12664
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, all appearances notwithstanding, I am ALL FOR refining our collective sensibilities.

Pingree does his OWN laundry?!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6512
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at you all resolving your debate peacefully, and recognizing that each person has their points. I must be on the wrong forum.

Gannon

Post Number: 12668
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might've gone differently if Eric_c and I didn't have previous tangible experiences, I know that he is a character...but fucking SOLID and community minded. And a hoot to boot. (his closest companion is wonderful company, too)

(Of course, that will do NOTHING for his credibility and standing with those bitter folk he still associates with who choose to be negative...and judgemental)

It is the right forum...getting righter everyday if we keep it real.

Cheers

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you grilling in Grand Circus Park?

Stop that.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to picture open grilling in downtown NY, Boston, Chicago.
Tacky Tacky Tacky
You expect to see homeless in a city park, not a hibachi.

PS Please do not barbecue until Quicken starts construction. That might be the only thing that would change Dan Gilbert's mind.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11631
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

hanging your laundry on Hazen Pingree

Are you saying that the fountains aren't for doing laundry. That would explain all the funny looks.

Gannon

Post Number: 12680
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gilbert's an angry protein-deficient Vegan, too?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amgasper sure is inventive

bbq

Gannon

Post Number: 12685
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Necessity is a Mother, I always say.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try grilling next time in Capitol Park instead. It seems anything goes in Capitol Park. Who knows you might make some friends

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hazen

change is afoot

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6527
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There goes yet another perfectly good keyboard.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to pitch a show to the Food Channel, Urban Park Grilling Secrets. We'll film it in Grand Circus Park, this way I can get some of that film incentive money.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6528
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Amgasper, I must salute you on your engraving abilities. That's professional work there.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 807
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you not think ol' Hazen would of enjoyed some ribs or burgers? I think he would.

Remember, this is the guy who promoted backyard potato farms.

I understand the "ornamental" park thing, but I'd much rather have life with BBQ grills than with life with crackheads - although, some BBQ sauce can be addicting. A good line would be food, but no commercial sale and no alcohol (which is the same as it is now).

There isn't any other greenspace - and people, even in high-rises, need green space and those new lofts have none of their own on property. Maybe we need to rethink a little what the park is for as when it was built it was all offices - now, the majority of actual life there is residential.

Times change and adaptations should be made.

p.s. Bewarned, I may leave work and crash your party. Keep a burger around just in case.

Jt1

Post Number: 11634
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DV does raise some good points. Consider my opinion changed.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voight Park, in the Boston-Edison neighborhood, is also classified as an ornamental park. A year or so ago, the City's rec department wanted to put in playground equipment and benches. Neighborhood opposition put an end to that plan. IIRC, LaSalle Park is also an ornamental park.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh... grilling is likely the least worrying thing I've seen happening in Grand Circus Park. Not the classiest. But on the grand scale of things...

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Circus Park was originally a residential park, DV. Offices and hotels came much later.

This is actually a very good "problem" to have. Nevertheless, our formal parks are not for horseshoes or BBQ.

Perhaps the question should be, "Where can Downtown residents BBQ?" or, "Once I decide to move into my high-rise loft, am I OK with not being able to BBQ?"

Another thought - is there any place in the Downtown area that could be converted to meet the need?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6786
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Eric_c, there used to be many stately homes surrounding GCP.

And there were more churches as well. There used to be a church on the Tuller/UA block along Bagley between Clifford and Park. Early in the 20th century it shared the block with the older half of the Tuller Hotel (Park & Adams). Then it was torn down for the new half of the Tuller, as well as the United Artists Building/Theatre.

Gannon

Post Number: 12700
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe one of our future public works projects to employ people to earn their food and lodging will be to finally get bike racks and park grilles placed properly.

I'm getting a little sick of the lack of bike racks in this city.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or the poorly placed ones. I'm thinking of downtown, which has bike racks that aren't actually next to anything- when they'd be really useful in other spots (like in front of CVS.)
Not trying to threadjack, sorry!

Jt1

Post Number: 11639
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are bike racks right across the street from CVS in front of Borders.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Eastern Market, bought some beautiful steaks. I marinated them, got on the wifebeater, went out to my front porch with my bag of coal to find scrappers got my little tiny grill. Im talking the 15" diameter little guy. DAMN.

Gannon

Post Number: 12708
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Django, bring those steaks and coals over here...one of the video company next door's old employees left his little grille when he quit, and another dude left his huge 55-gallon grille for the whole place to enjoy.

Bring 'em on, I'll rush out for some beers. I've got some greens and a little Sala Thai leftovers for our veggies, too.

Gannon

Post Number: 12709
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet, let's go grille 'em at the Park!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 808
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c...

How far back are you going? pre-1910?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like its time for a different type of "Hash bash" Dig up the old family Corned beef recipe, grab the Weber and head for Grand circus park.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5304
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grand Guerrilla Grill-off.

Uh-oh. Now we've started something.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, It's possible to keep it classy guys. Forget the grills for a second. Is it okay for me and my fiancee to go have a Sunday picnic in Grand Circus Park? What about Campus Martius? They had pictures of people picnicking in Campus Martius on some of the original construction renderings. Are blankets and picnic baskets really that tacky?

Now add a grill. There are battery powered electric and propane powered grills that have no flame, covers, and are very small and discreet. They are made just for this purpose, and don't look at all "trashy". I guess some of the new charcoal grills don't even look all that bad nowadays.

Why would you not want people picnicking in the parks on Saturdays and Sundays. That is the only activity you are going to have then. The offices are closed. Picnickers add life to the parks in my opinion. Life means more people in them, which means more eyes on the streets, which means more people acting as crime deterrents.

The people in Park Apartments, Kales, and Fyfe (as well as many apartments on Washington) don't have any porches. That is why park locations are often preferred over other places. It's a nice public green space. Like Digital Vision mentioned above; if you live in a high rise, a porch isn't an option. I don't understand why this is a bad thing.

That type of thinking just seems so... suburban. Lets keep the streets empty and do all our socializing in our backyards on our decks. The lack of that kind of thinking is one reason I like the city.

Amgasper01, be sure you use a grill with a lid. Also, make sure you have a small fire bucket (coffee can size) if you are using a charcoal grill.