Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eastern Market Management Improvement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12767
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How to spot bad management...heh...only in RetroSpect. Great work, new folks.

What a HUGE positive difference in every way, shape, and form over previous years...wow and more.

Kudos to the folks running the show down here now, I know I've met a few of you. Sorry if I don't call anyone out directly.

Headed down and out to Zeff's for our regular breakfast ritual this morning...beautiful sunny day. This place all a-jumpin' with springtime love, happy folks all around, parking already starting to get busy even up here in the dirtlot next to the Fire Department maintenance, at eight in the morning. Just your usual May Saturday in the Market.

Until we got to the first shed, where we were pleasantly greeted by smiling faces handing out a a brightly colored card actually advertising the legendary Flower Day, with a map on the back showing the locations of the events.

Sounds pretty normal...but it hadn't been the case down here, ever in my recollection (sorry if I missed anything from the past). This is brand new, and welcome...more than welcome!

They were also handing out reprints of a Metro Times article...this one done by another, larger group...which from memory has a very selective yet unexplained graphic on the top curiously missing some major spokes on the wheel, and nothing even merely glanced towards Downriver.

My Livonia friend and his bride were a little shocked that it was truncated, as well as no mention of their new hometown on that graphic, and were a bit bummed until I showed him that Gratiot and Sterling Heights weren't on it, either!

I saw individuals clearly hired as walking cleaning crews, with new shuttle trucks driving around supervisors and other ranking workers. Very cool. The one street sweeper was genuinely confused when we all said hello to her, just doing her work on the corner!

Then...the killer...placards in place a few steps inside the entrances of each area...warning at the end that NO Grumps would be tolerated, or some such phrasing. We got a good gut laugh over that, because that one loudmouthed bearded vendor seems to always put ME into a grouchy mood...so we pondered where the true culpability would lie.

(yeah, I know I should own my emotions...but today was, um, stretched a wee thin hung-over from last night!)

Mrs. Livonia Friend said she thought nobody could be in the market during springtime and stay grumpy for long...so I reminded her that most would be type-As coming down reluctantly with their spouses after a grueling week trying to keep their personal economies afloat. The Livonia Friend told us to stop talking about him...cased closed!

There could be some marital distress at those signs as confusion would set in whether they should stay or go. Some might take it as license to run back to the car and snooze a wee more...leaving hundreds of poorer depth-perception tuggers of those little red wagons...all being encouraged to get outrageously decked in an upcoming promotion/competition!

(don't get down on me, I'm not the one that made higher estrogen a limit to three-dimensional perception and imagination rendering)

So, I'm asking, maybe BEGGING, the Eastern Market staff for a little slack towards those grumps, at least not a ONE STRIKE policy...our type-As need some lovin' too. Ain't a place I know of in the city more consistent delivering that than the Eastern Market.

As we sat in our booth finishing breakfast...a woman came through and the Flower Day promo in my Livonia Friend's hands caught her eye. She jumped for joy..."Where did you GET that Flower Day guide!" We graciously offered her ours, doing our part for local recycling...not unhappy to relieve ourselves of that pesky graphic denying our roots and important (if undeniably white) areas of Metro Detroit.

Now if only the Detroit Police will direct the flow, and then highly ticket those speeders and reckless others...and that damn woman who illegally parked in Sala Thai's lot, even though she FELT the glare of my stare.

Nah, we'll be towing them next week for sure. Or just gluing their doorlocks shut...whichever service will give us the bigger kickbacks. That IS how this city works, right? heh

Great to see how things can actually work when the bullshit politics of the city are removed from the equation. Again, wonderful work, Eastern Market management team and employees.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11669
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks great but I would love to see some bike racks installed in the new infrastructure improvements.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12768
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we'll get those when they can finally afford to get the Cut finished to Mack and better!

Maybe THAT'S what I'll do with my wee space...get the fellows from BackAlley to hang out and sell a discounted tune up and wheel straightening for all who ride into the Market. Maybe sell a few kevlar tires, some fenders and perhaps some luggage racks/saddle bags in the process.

Might just give away some coffee or fresh-squeezed lemonade and some joy to any who do business with them at their temporary digs in my backyard.

Teach a few folks about the complexities of High Definition Television and other weird home entertainment issues...sell my new seminar series and shopping service.

Safe bike storage at Gannon's Loft...anonymity guaranteed for you, Jt1, you shadow!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah it is looking better and more 'managed'. even noticed the sidewalks along Orleans by what i believe is an old DWSD building cleaned (this is north of the dirt lot). They used to be covered with the glass from the now boarded up broken windows for months, now its spotless. Shed 2 is coming together nicely too. Hopefully the can finish the year round shed improvements before December!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.