Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Michigan/Detroit politicians that do a good job « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11673
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the area is mired in the KK stuff I realize that we are always flooded with information about politicians that do wrong (as we should be) but very rarely do we hear about politicians that work hard for the citizens and do a good job. I'm wondering what politicans do you believe do a great job with little press in SE Michigan.

From what I know/have seen I like Hansen Clarke, Steve Tobocman and Ken Cockrel, Jr..

Who are some of the people that you like in SE Michigan government.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4770
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Gaffney-- State Rep for the far NE side and Grosse Pointe. Soon to retire.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame too, we actually DID have some decent candidates running for mayor besides Kilpatrick.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Tobocman has been a wonderful force for SWD.
Unfortunately, he is term-limited.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leon Drolet...oops, I thought you said worst politician in Michigan.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Tobocman is term limited but his potential predecessor is a great woman who has potential to be just as good. She worked for Tobocman this last term and is a dear friend of mine. She would be a great choice for Southwest.
Rashida Tlaib.

Here is her bio:
I am excited to inform you that I have decided to run for State Representative for the 12th District (Southwest Detroit).

As the oldest child of immigrants, who taught me the importance of hard work, honesty, and commitment to community, I am fortunate to have this opportunity to make a difference in the community I grew up in. Southwest Detroit helped shape the woman that I am today and provided my family with an opportunity to share in the American Dream. Despite the challenges of having to care for my 13 younger siblings, I was able to earn my B.A. in Political Science from Wayne State University (1998) and earned a law degree, while working full-time and attending weekend classes at Thomas Cooley Law School (2004).

Many of you have witnessed my passion and commitment to advocate for public policies that improve the quality of life for families in need of better access to human services, education, immigrant and civil rights. I provided social and advocacy services to thousands of Southwest Detroit families at Latin Americans for Social & Economic Development (LASED), the Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services (ACCESS), the Office of State Representative Steve Tobocman, the International Institute of Metro Detroit, and the Neighborhood Tax Center.

If elected to the State Legislature, I will take that passion to Lansing to advance progressive values and policy change that is important to communities across Michigan. I hope I can count on your support.

If you would like to make a contribution, checks must be payable to Friends of Rashida Tlaib, P.O. Box 9380, Detroit, MI 48209. The door-to-door campaign will begin next week and I need volunteers. If interested, please send an email to rashida4rep@yahoo.com.

I look forward to your support.

Sincerely,
Rashida Tlaib
Candidate for State Representative
12th District, Southwest Detroit
P.O. Box 9380
Detroit, MI 48209
313-297-8800(0ffice)

Jt1

Post Number: 11675
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Steve Tobocman has been a wonderful force for SWD.
Unfortunately, he is term-limited.

Anyone know if he has his eye on any other office after his final term is complete?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Tobocman should run for mayor. The primary is about 15 months away. He will need that kind of time to raise the necessary money. His time in the State House has given him statewide fundraising contacts that can give him an advantage over some other potential challengers.

There's a real danger that the current mayor will neither be convicted of a felony (because the text messages are ruled inadmissable) nor get ousted through a successful recall. In that event, Mr. Kilpatrick will almost certainly run again. But he will be vulnerable to an issues and policy focused candidate that is well financed. Challengers will need to start early just like Dennis Archer did for the 1993 election cycle. Mr. Tobocman can do it though. If Barack Obama can win over Iowans, Mr. Tobocman can do the same with Detroiters.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6145
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to college with KC Jr, he was extremely bright, full of integrity and he loves Detroit. I think he would make a great mayor

Jt1

Post Number: 11676
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that KC Jr has the integrity, intelligence and ability to do it. Sadly I think that he lacks the charisma to win people over.

Ideal for hi would be to have an opportunity as an interim mayor to show what he can do.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senator Buzz Thomas! He's pro-Detroit all the way, gets things done, and also appreciates the Detroit night life/art & culture community.

http://www.detbuzz.com/

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joann Watson. She can be a lightning rod at times, but she fights the good fight for the little guy. This city could dearly use some more politicians like her, Kwame Kenyatta and the Cockrells.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think both Cockrels have their hearts in the right place. I don't always agree with them, but at least I get the sense they're trying to do the right thing.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first saw this post, I thought it would be a cobweb.

It's a shame, still, that only 4 more were added to the original 3. Still, that is 7. 3 more plus some new congress-critters and you have a new mayor, council, and maybe something serious in Congress.

Detroit can then improve.

(Edited to change the numbers... Sheila Cockrel was added.)

(Message edited by jrvass on May 13, 2008)

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm, lots of praise for Tobocman. I really liked how he honored the memory of officers Jerry Philpot, Matt Bowens and Jennifer Fettig by going against the rest of his party and voting for tougher sentencing for cop killers. Oh thats right, he didn't. The bill was not going to pass. Steve could have voted in favor of the bill as a symbolic gesture. But he sided with the party instead.

Where was Steve when the Detroit Recreation Department closed the South Rademacher and St. Hedwig Rec Centers? Where was Mr. Tobocman when the Dix/Central fire station was shuttered. The closure of the 3rd & 4th Police precincts has resulted in fewer cars on the street. What say you Steve? What did Steve do when the Mayor removed a spanish speaking, long time SWD resident from the SWD neighborhood city hall. She was replaced by a good friend of the Mayor.

Crime in SWD is up. Response time of police and fire is up. Fewer rec centers for the kids. If you argue that Tobocman had nothing to do with, and could have little impact on changing these things, I'll say "fair enough". Just tell me then what he has done to deserve such praise. I've met Steve and like him well enough. I just do not think he is all that much better than the rest.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansen Clarke

In some ways, like KC Jr., he is almost too much of a real person and a nice guy to be a successful politician. Which is why I like him. Tobocman has a good resume, and good positions, and I'm going on very limited experience. But the two times I tried to engage him, I felt like he was blowing me off because he did not know who I was or whether I could do anything for him. Maybe I just caught him on a bad day.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like him or not, I think Book Patterson has represented his people well. Same for John Dingell and Kwame Kenyatta.

I think with each of those people you get what you see. Like it or not.

Kenyatta is a punch to the face black nationalist, and if you don't like it, fuck off.

Dingell loves the car industry and if you try to mess with it, he will chew off your arm.

LBP mind my manners, obey my laws, and we will get along just fine. I'll make sure you're safe, that your schools are safe and that there are no strip clubs in Oakland County.

In contrast to Kwame, what you see is what you get. Which Kwame do you like the most? The erudite gib factory? The petulant teen? The resolute husband and father? LBP, Dingell and Kenyatta are all pretty transparant, and I prefer being stabbed in the chest more than the back.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl and Sander Levin immediately come to mind. MaryAnn Mahaffey was dedicated to all the people of Detroit and gave a lifetime of service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.