Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » HP to buy EDS for about $13.2 billion in cash « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While EDS is headquartered in Plano, TX it's Administrative offices are in the RenCen.

http://ap.google.com/article/A LeqM5j1FGR_0CDqt10g0D6ZkubVRzi iIgD90KRHU00

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To make sure the EDS takeover pays off, HP indicated it will make significant layoffs as it eliminates overlapping jobs and other expenses. In Tuesday conference calls with media and analysts, HP Chief Executive Mark Hurd and EDS CEO Ronald Rittenmeyer declined to estimate how many workers might lose their jobs."

GREAT!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 828
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll be consolidating that save for what they do for GM - so much of that is in India now anyway, so who knows what'll happen. But I think there is going to be another round of unemployed technology exports who either a) move to get a job or b) start companies.

I'm hoping for b. This could be a great opportunity for us - since they're going to hack'n slash jobs. I don't know if this is true as it's hearsay, but I've heard multiple times EDS doesn't make money, or that much money, on the GM account.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle - Do you work there? I know that some administration is there, but how much of that is related directly to GM business?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont work there. Just info off of their website.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5345
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press: HP to buy EDS
Detroit News: HP to buy EDS for about $12.6 billion in cash

I'm interested if anyone can add any more information.

I've had the opportunity to work with HP field engineers over the years and they seemed to me to be quite compatible with Detroiters. That was just a feeling though. Is this a good thing?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The press has portrayed important factors about these events. These strategic moves will significantly boost HP services. Big blue has expanded beyond the mainframe and quietly become a consulting services giant.

HP out-sources large portions of their IT infrastructure - and not always to the lowest bidder. A few years ago, firm I worked for handled several very large (expensive) software projects for the Print Division of HP here in San Diego. Big on new technology, HP is fleet of foot and aggressive. HP FEs tend to be a fun-loving bunch, however that may be a function of the stereotypical CA lifestyle.

EDS played a part in my initial interest in software development in the mid 80s. A friend was a COBOL programmer for EDS at the GMTC in Warren. This was when people in IT still wore suits.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can always hope for the best, but most likely, this will lead to once again, more layoffs for Detroiters and Michiganders.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The economy is doing pretty well in Texas these days I hear.

Bob

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything is bigger in Texas.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EDS has been taking big lumps in Michigan. It won't be easy to pull apart loses due to GM's slide from the aforementioned attack upon redundancy via acquisition. I don't know anyone at EDS who has felt any security for at least the last few years.

Bob

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know EDS used to have lots of contracts with the State of Michigan to run their computer systems and train the state workers on technology, not sure if that is the case any more.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have not told us a thing. Just we are still EDS...an HP company.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen some commercials for EDS down here in Charlotte recently. I had remembered the name being on 500 tower at the Ren Cen. I didn't know that they were national. Very interesting.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul: EDS is international and does business on every continent.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well unfortunately, a lot of great companies come out of Michigan, but not too many are moving in these days. SPX (albeit out of western MI), is doing quite well down here in Charlotte.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hereby nominate EDS to the Guinness Book of World Records, in the category: Most times being bought and/or sold

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul: Actually EDS comes out of Texas. Its headquarters are in Plano Texas. They didn't have much business at all in Michigan until GM bought them.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HP to buy EDS... Wow, where did Highland Park come up with $13.2 billion?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw: That's where Kwame's stashing his loot to hide it from the prosecutors.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: My next door neighbor is the former CFO of HP.... and remember all homes in Highland Park are available for just a buck ... kinda like the Mc Donalds value meal ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: As CFO of HP I’m hoping you mean Hewlett Packard. ‘Cause if you’re talking Highland Park, Kwame’s boys are looking for him. I would advise hiding in those hills until it passes over.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Kwame get all of Highland Park and my next door neighbor is of the Palo Alto HP variety.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.