Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Soul Food « Previous Next »
Archive through May 14, 2008Chuckjav30 05-14-08  10:54 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Country Boy on nine mile in Hazel Park. Hubby and I went there yesterday he had country fried steak with gravy, great biscuts, fried okra
and collard greens. they serve buttered grits and biscuts with gravy all day. Also they are one of the few places you can find real county ham on the menu. They are east of John R about 1/2 mile on the north side of nine mile. Table service with daily specials and a big menu.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmm Country Boy is good!

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All good but the chitlens!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding chitterlings....

The wife and kids would run me out on a rail if I commenced to fixin' a batch; what with the stench & what-not.

Any suggestions for mitigating the unique aroma - vinegar, tomato sauce?

Thoughts?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with the wife and kids there - just don't do it Daddy!

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

As for me...Pinto Beans, Hot-water Cornbread and a Big Ole' glass of Red Kool-aid is as close as it comes to traditional Soul Food.(smile)...I'll leave the other stuff for my peeps!

Blksoul_x

I hear you on the Pinto Beans! My father makes a pot almost every weekend and not so coincidentally I visit him almost every weekend! Nice and hot with a little salt and some onions cut up on top... Add a skillet of cornbread go to work!

Unclefrank

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding chitterlings....

The wife and kids would run me out on a rail if I commenced to fixin' a batch; what with the stench & what-not.

Any suggestions for mitigating the unique aroma - vinegar, tomato sauce?

Thoughts

Yes! Make sure you clean all the poop out of them. :-) He He He

Alley

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three things you definitely WON'T catch me eating--pig's feet, chitterlings and tripe! They all seem like throw-away parts to me.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is blksoul with the hot water cornbread recipe?

Unclefrank

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot water cornbread...sounds good!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried going to Daves Drive Inn today. Police had the roads shut down and they were filming a movie in Daves. Anyone have any info?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless/until blksoul serves up the recipe:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0 ,194,156160-239204,00.html

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hells kitchen?

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda's Beans and Greens on Warren in Warrendale used to be my favorite. I used to love the pig's feet there.

Milt's is probably the best.

Has anybody been to the Soul Food place on Tireman just west of Livernois? It's pretty new. i haven't tried it yet, but i'm going to the next time i'm over there (probably tomorrow).

Chuckjav

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....and for dessert:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0 ,196,147181-224200,00.html

Speaking from experience - double the recipe & bake two!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tarkus-i just spoke with Dave,yes a movie was filmed there. more details to follow

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617,

In general no one has heard of grits up here. "What are those?" "Grits." "What are grits?"

I love them, though I am not particular about white-at-night-yellow-in-the-m orning or anything. Stoneground is the best - I get mine from Logan Turnpike Mill in north GA.

Re; Karl's reply, I had no idea you could get grits at any coneys, since I virtually never go to one. Innerestin'!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the dude worried about grits, forgetting how many Detroiters are Dixie transplants from the postwar years. Y'all can get your grits all over Detroit, chile'.

I actually tripped up a woman who owned a Diner on Livernois about fifteen years ago; I walked in, and there was one black guy, fiftyish, eating breakfast, the woman, and me, and that was the entire population at the time. She asked me for my order and I told her: eggs over easy, grits, bacon, coffee, black.

She said, "repeat that"? So I did. Then she said "grits? You said grits?" I said, "you got 'em, don't you?" She said "sure, it's just I don't get very many..." and her voice trailed off and she looked kind of embarrassed.

I didn't know what was going on until the other patron finished the sentence for her, laughing: "...white people asking for grits".

We had a good laugh over it, and enjoyed breakfast.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mookies, in Southfield. Greenfield & 10 1/2 next to Bread Basket (home of the big azz corned beef sandwich) also a favorite of mine.

Carry out soul food. Great food, good portions & reasonably priced.

Smothered pork chops, here I come.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a place near Belle Isle called "Kung Food".

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's funny how many black folks, around here, don't know anything about grits. I guess that proves that grits are not so much a "soul food" thing as they are a southern thing.
I love 'em. Please do not befoul them by pouring sugar into them.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be very suspect of any black person that claimed that did not know about grits. I'd also have their black card revoked.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sugar?! I can't imagine. Butter for the Prof. (Don't tell his doctor.)

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tip: Drop whole, peeled onions in your chitlins' while cooking.

Ya'll made me hungry, now I gotta cook tomorrow, and sweet potato pie for dessert! I need to stay away from DYes, it'll destroy my diet!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This ain't my Moma's recipe(I called her, and she was asleep...or either didn't answer thinking I was calling to ask for money..LOL!)

The below sounds about right though...

I found this on my recipes.com

Hot water Corn bread...

Ingredients

2 cups white cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 to 2 cups boiling water
Vegetable oil
Softened butter

Preparation

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; stir in half-and-half and 1 tablespoon oil. Gradually add boiling water, stirring until batter is the consistency of grits.
Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet; place over medium-high heat. Scoop batter into a 1/4-cup measure; drop into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with softened butter.

Note: The amount of boiling water needed varies depending on the type of cornmeal used. Stone-ground (coarsely ground) cornmeal requires more liquid.

...and don't forget to wash it down with a Big Glass of RED Kool-aid!

Makes about a dozen.

blksoul_atcha!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks blksoul_x! I've printed the recipe and will try it next time. But if you do get to speak to your mom ask her anyway and let us know.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this is what my grandma meant when she referred to fry bread? She never made cornbread this way-it was always baked in her iron skillet, which I inherited and use to this day.

I'll report when I make it. :-)

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We mostly eat the instant grits. The ones with red eye gravy. Now that I'm totally starving all this talk of food I haven't heard my favorite desert mentioned. Bread pudding, unless that's a southern black thing.

Deegee
Username: Deegee

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BBQ'd pigfeet are even better than the regular ones.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Bread pudding. Changing the menu...

Otter

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid,

When you're in the south you should be careful about who you admit eating instant grits to - they might run you out, as in traditional circles it is practically considered a criminal offense! :-) It Just Isn't Done.

AFAIK bread pudding isn't specifically southern, or southern black. Perhaps it once was. You can get bread pudding at Avalon occasionally.

Ravine

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once made some of the "non-instant" grits, at home, just out of curiosity. I have to say that, to me, the Quaker instant grits are just fine; the "non-instant" were not any major improvement.
Jmil: Trust me! Some of the black folks you know may not know anything about grits, and you just never had occasion to learn that about them.
Prof: I just don't get the sugar thing, either. Butter, salt, and pepper. Slap 'em ontoppa some over-easy eggs, or slurp 'em down with some fried chicken. Oh Hell Yes.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

collard greens and smoked pork butt....

Otter

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

When you're talking about "regular" grits - the kind that you can get at the store - you're right in that there isn't a lot of difference between instant grits and long-cooking grits. But there is definitely a difference - in flavor and especially in texture between regular grits and stone-ground grits. It's less evident if you're serving something on top of the grits (e.g. shrimp and grits) than if you're having them with breakfast. They are hard to find, though. Zingerman's has some, but they're expensive. You can get a 2-lb. bag from Logan Turnpike Mill in N. GA for $7.50. I'm sure there are other sources.

Alley

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shrimp and grits with cheese is GOOOOOOOD!

Ravine

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, I'm going to make it a point to check those out. Thanks for the directive.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, thank you for that recipe! If convenient, please confirm with your Mom that the recipe is as she remembers it.

I have tried many different corn breads, some tasty, some dry and not so tasty. Others have suggested I find a recipe for "hot water corn bread", and your recipe looks like it is just the ticket.

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubby just wanted me to say thanks for all the talk of good southern food. He was raised in Montgomery, lived there most of his life, and still remembers going to Miss Burton's for the best Sweet Potato Pie and Cornbread in the State. Miss Burton was known far and wide for her cooking and it was an honor to get a chance to sit in her parlor and enjoy a Sunday meal.

Says he agrees with Otter about the grits. Then he shakes his head and says >>>>Otter's right. Ain't no such thing as Instant Grits!! Ain't no such thing<<<<

Wishing all in Motown a sunny day and the chance to sit with family and enjoy it!

Jones

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Sixmilejones! You'll find a lot of discussion on foods here.

I love this thread with all the talk about good southern/soul food; now I know I'm not alone in my passion for the taste of it.

Went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up the white cornmeal. I am making Blksoul_x's posted recipe this afternoon. I can't wait for verification from his mother. I need to have that hot water corn bread today.

Sixmilejones

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome Eriedearie! :-)

Laughing as I post this. My poor hubby. When I first married him I promised to make him homemade cornbread. Big Mistake!! I mixed it all up, baked in a loaf pan (I know!! good grief! and lovingly served it with his dinner. He took one look at the lowly, lumpy cornthing sitting on his plate and said.... "Baby, how come they's corn in it?"

I told him proudly that I loved him and so I'd added an entire can of the Green Giant's finest niblets to my recipe!! The poor man shook his head and said...."Baby, ain't no corn in cornbread."

I stood there hands-on-hips with my little Motorcity attitude and said "Of course there's corn in cornbread jerko! What d'ya think's in cornbread??? Tah-may-tahs!
He sighed and did his best to eat my flour-made,corn-niblet, baked-in-a-pan mess. Guess love is blind and tastless too! LOL!

Next day he bought an iron skillet. I'm still not sure if it was to make cornbread or to do away with his Yankee bride!
Much peace to you and yours Eriedearie! :-)

Jones

P.S. This time think I'll try a real recipe. Going to try the hotwater cornbread. Sounds wonderful!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Sixmilejones, even Yankee women know there's no corn in cornbread (but corn mil). :-)

That's why they use Jiffy corn bread.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sixmilejones! That is a funny, funny story! I love it! New bride wanting to impress her new husband with her culinary talent. Sounds like you married a brave man. :-)

And Detroitrise I gotta tell ya, Jiffy (gag) cornbread don't taste anything like the REAL homemade stuff. It might do for some in a real pinch, but you won't find any of it in my cupboard.

Happy cooking everyone!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eriedearie stated...
quote:

Went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up the white cornmeal. I am making Blksoul_x's posted recipe this afternoon. I can't wait for verification from his mother. I need to have that hot water corn bread today.

Hey eriedearie, via confirmation from moms'... the recipe up the thread that I posted is accurate.

I hope your hot-water cornbread comes out ok...It's to bad Microsoft has not invented 'taste-test-o-vision' so that we could taste the end product!(LOL)

Let me know how it turned out.

blksoul_atcha!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x - WOW this is a keeper recipe that I will make time and time again!

I love your idea of the 'taste-test-o-vision' deal! LOL

These cornbreads turned out so good I will make them for a family get together tomorrow. Thanks, and thank your mom for me :-)

Otter

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say I was a little thrown by the "hot-water" modifier for the corn-bread discussed above, as I wondered if this was something I hadn't heard of...but it just looks like regular cornbread. But I think it's better with buttermilk.

BTW, only Yankee cornbread is sweet. "Proper" (that is, southern) cornbread is not sweet.

I may talk a bit like a real southerner, but I'm only adopted. I'm sure not a yankee, though :-)

Sixmilejones

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Eriedearie and Detroitrise,

Loved the responses! :-) You guys are a riot! BTW Eriedearie...hubby says (in his best southern which sadly he's lost in the past years) "Tell her sho' nuff she raht! Sho' nuff!"

Wishing everybody better days ahead! :-)

Jones

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.