Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » GM BUys the ren cen » Archive through May 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0508/REG/617740397/1069/gm-buy s-its-detroit-headquarters-for -626-million

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6561
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought they already owned it, considering they spent almost as much renovating it as they just paid for it. Interesting.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice price...market conditions finally made in cheaper to buy than lease.

I bet Ford paid more to have the thing built in the first place.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

were they not a true city resident beforehand? just checking

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they said Ford built it for 350mil.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6567
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It at least said Ford spearheaded the $350 million project.

So with inflation, has the RenCen lost or gained value?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a surprise to me, since I had remembered the media reports in 1996 indicating that GM *bought* the RenCen at that time, for something around $75 million. Obviously the articles weren't as clear as they should have been.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I always thought it was bought too. That's the impression that all of the wording has ever given me.

Anyway, I guess that it's a good thing that it's now bought?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12755
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they're putting new colors on it today...what is the new ad for?!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6793
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes our less than stellar media reporting DID say that a company called Highgate bought the RenCen back in 1996 for $75 million and then sold it to GM (so as not to let Ford know that GM was going to be the end buyer).

But all the media said that GM bought it in 1996.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Perhaps that's why Crain's broke the story and our two dailies aren't saying much today. I could find no mention of it in the News and only an AP story in the Freep.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting stats on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R enaissance_Center

(Also says GM bought it in 1996)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it was owned by Hines Management. Most businesses aren't in the business of managing buildings, esp. one as complicated and large as the Ren Cen.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E.G., the Wayne County offices in the old county building downtown, which the county doesn't own.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but it has always been reported that GM owned the building.

On the RenCen tours that are given daily, the guide even states "the entire complex, including the hotel and the Millender Center across the street are owned by GM"

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, to make even more confusing, look around and see the Riverfront Holdings play in all of this, maybe then we'll all see what really went on in 1996. And interesting as well, Matt Cullen leaves GM just over a week ago, something bigger going on here.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler...huge plant on East Jefferson in Detroit...investing money into the Detroit Zoo to renovate...GM purchasing the RenCen.

Two of the Big 3 investing in Detroit and its' future.

Where is Toyota, where is Honda?

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hines Management handles the retail management of the building. Before Hines, I think the Taubman group handled it.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honda...
http://corporate.honda.com/ame rica/events.aspx?id=dso

Toyota...
http://www.primenewswire.com/n ewsroom/news.html?d=130802

Moron.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6796
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, we've always been told that GM owns the RenCen and that the County leases the Old County Building.

The fiasco over the scaffolding on the Old County Building tower for over a year brought the exorbitant rates involved in that lease agreement to light a few years back.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal, www.levelfieldinstitute.org and do some reading if you care about the U.S.

You're the "moron" if you don't believe in

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

OUT OF A JOB YET, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11658
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of blaming others and complaining about your situation you should take responsibility for yourself.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6583
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1...who are you addressing your post to?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11660
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was addressing it to you. Since it is a common refrain of yours I expect there to be less complaining and more doing something about your situation.

What's good for the goose....

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

johnlodge, where did you find that graphic and what's the source. I completely agree and I want to use it to show other ignorant a-holes. Just because they may assemble some of their cars here, it does not negate the fact that all the parts are built elsewhere. And, (this is the biggest problem) we do not have free auto trade with Japan and S. Korea who sell approx. 500-1000 cars here per 1 we sell there. I actually have much less of a problem seeing someone driving a VW or BMW than a Toyota, Honda, Hyndia, or Kia.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6585
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Buyamericans link:

www.levelfieldinstitute.org

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6586
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was just in the paper last week about how much money that they lost this quarter and then they turn around and buy the Ren-Cen? I believe that there is something amiss in Utah....dig? Someone is either full of bologna, or the communication is erroneous.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I am still not quite sure what the hell you're talking about. I am an American and proud of it and practice what I preach whenever and whereever I can. I wouldn't have a foreign car in my garage. If you live in Detroit, or in Michigan for that matter, then your priority should be buying one of the Big 3, not foreign when you must purchase an automobile.

What's your excuse?

JohnLodge...thank you for posting those charts.

(Message edited by Buyamerican on May 09, 2008)