Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » TWO Car Chases in ONE Day? Are We LA Now?! « Previous Next »
Archive through May 14, 2008Pgn42130 05-14-08  6:27 pm
Archive through May 15, 2008Django30 05-15-08  5:43 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the title of the thread. They had the chase on ch4 last night and it was interesting to see all of the various angles that these guys took off on when the truck crashed in the parking lot. Scattered like cockaroaches!

Ragged-

Obviously, you don't know me very well, as the ASSumptions you make in your little rant are not me, or for that matter, Gannon, at all. That's the problem here. You really don't know anything about anybody on here other than what you read, and with that reading comprehension problem of yours, you were a bit harsh, again IMO.

No, Ragged, I don't need a Kleenex and it is obvious that you have never met Gannon. Although his diatribes here can be a bit much sometimes, John is, in my opinion, a very nice guy who seeks the truth in avenues that most of us are afraid to go down. I feel that I know him well enough to say that. Also, at 6"-3" and 220lbs, I don't whine, I speak like a man.

By the way, I discuss a lot of what Gannon posts with him before I go off on him for what he wrote. Often, I have understood what he wrote better by having had said discussions. Trust me, I neither enable him or encourage the anxiety that he displays. I do try to enlighten him, though. He enlightens me as well.

I don't see you VOLUNTEERING the time that John does to the city, either, so please spare us all your tired rhetoric. He is a good guy and at least he TRIES, IMO.

It is apparent that what you read was not what Gannon wrote. Where you came up with that scenario of the car in the driveway leads me to believe that you are a bit delusional, as Gannon never said:

"He's regularly using illegal mind-altering drugs while driving around with an unregistered loaded weapon in his car".

That is not what he said and you need to re-read the original story to get your facts straight. It happened the one time and not again. He learned his lesson, it appears. Cops play games all the time with people. This is a good illustration of that assertion. To deny that is to turn a blind eye to the truth.

Also, if your children are so undisciplined or adventurous that they regularly "inspect" peoples cars in your driveway, then perhaps you should teach them to respect other peoples property/privacy a bit more.

Here is a story for you that you can believe or not. I remember when I first got back from the military and I was required to carry a weapon, first as a reserve cop in the 15th and later as a FFL dealer and for other various reasons that I don't feel the need to divulge here. Knowing that I could potentially have a problem with my kids and curiosity issues, I took them out to the field behind their great-grandfathers house and "educated" them on the evils of weapons. After the tremendous "boom", smoke and the lid shooting into the air from the water jug I had used as a target, neither one wanted anything to do with weapons again. Firecrackers even scared them.

I love how you call him out for being a paranoid, gun toting druggie, but in the very last sentence you say:

"Nothing personal, Gannon. Just lookin' out for you and the rest of us. What you need is a brutally honest friend. Do you have one of those ? I'm not offering, just asking..."

If it wasn't personal, then what was it? Apparently, your comprehension of what YOU wrote is lacking, as all I read from that is a snarky, condescending, arrogant, "I'm perfect and your not". John has plenty of THOSE types of "friends".

He doesn't need a caretaker, either. Maybe a SO, but certainly not a caretaker!

By the way, I'm glad you're not offering to be Gannon's friend. He's got all the folks like you that he can handle!

I'm done here now. Thanks.

Django-

Lets get it ON!! Anytime is good, and it may be a good time to dust off the "collection "! I've got a couple of weapons that you just need to get your hands on! I'm bringing the MRS, as she's a pretty good shot as well. It should be a good time!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3134
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django....no, I'm in Nevada. But feel free to email me direct at RDown3657@cox.net for any discussion you'd like to chomp on.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6679
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080514/M ETRO/805140439/-1/rss

quote:

erndale police responded to a call of a larceny from an automobile Tuesday night, Lt. William Wilson said.
Officers spotted the suspect vehicle fleeing the area of Woodward and Eight Mile and gave chase from Ferndale through streets in Detroit. The suspect vehicle was a stolen 2003 Dodge Ram pickup.
Advertisement

The suspect vehicle fled at high rates of speed. Shortly after Ferndale Police Department terminated the pursuit, the suspect vehicle backed off a dead end side street and rammed a Ferndale police car, disabling the vehicle.

A second pursuit followed with Ferndale and Detroit police chasing the suspects' vehicle. This chase ended when the suspect ran into another motorist in the intersection of Harper and Van Dyke.

The suspect vehicle then ran into three more parked cars, and the four occupants fled on foot. Two of the occupants, including the driver, were caught and arrested.

As Paul Harvey would say, the rrrrrrrrest... of the story.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The ability of civilians to monitor domestic police communications has historically been a proud hallmark of American democracy. Why would the state suddenly go to the trouble of concealing their communications from law-abiding citizens?

Something sinister is afoot. There is no valid reason to draw a curtain designed to conceal domestic police operations from the very citizens they were sworn to protect. "

There is no way I could have said this better.

Talk about something sinister-this radio system was funded by the same taxpayer dollars that fund the police. So we're paying-without being asked-to pay for technology that hides/conceals the operations of a department we are funding. Sure, you can pay for it-just don't expect to SEE your tax dollars at work.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You SEE your tax dollars at work when the cops come to your house to investigate a break-in.

You SEE your tax dollars at work when the cops pull over speeders near your child's school.

You SEE your tax dollars at work when the cops are first-responders to the scene of an accident.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, hear

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 377
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Touché.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark, you sweet thing you
Its our duty to to push our police force to do the best job they can for us. No ones dissing them. We want less corruption and more reaction.

Django

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res.
Kickass, its on. I just want to hear one little bit of trash talk from Gannon to kick it off right. This will be fun. But not until G kicks it off. Then we set the date and time. Gannon may just puss out though. what do You say Gannon. Is Res a better shot?

Django

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im buyin a beer for the crack shot at the Miami afterword.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oohh..All this talk of guns is getting me excited. Who woulda thought it would be this many gun totting libs on this site. Charlie Heston would be proud.

Django

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_
You dont have to be a Lib to understand and believe in the constitution. This country wouldnt be here if (good or bad) if it were not for the power of a gun. War is a terrible thing, I know that. I hate that I know that. Like I have said, I hate guns but I hate other things also that I have to live with.

Hestons a whole other thread, Personally, I thought he had been bought out. He did serve a purpose though with his ramblings on guns and all. Personally, I had a problem with him, Cause I dont want any more guns in my area. YES, Ive got a serious conflict to resolve in my head. In the mean time, Im gonna watch a legal shootout between 2 friends. Someones gonna be bought a beer by me. There both going to be standing at the bar next to eachother with no holes in them after the shootout.

Django

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be no shootout unless Gannon does some trashtalk though. Res has claimed he is the better shot. Maybe G hasnt have the balls to back up his 3" diameter target that he shot out on that paper sillouette.
You know I love you G. But I wanna Hear some dissin toward Res. Its all in the name of competition. When I hear a solid dis toward OUR FRIEND RES Im going to set the date. Otherwise its just flower day on Sunday. Flower days are cool I guess, NOT. I wanna smell some gunpowder.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah - Al Allen reporting on another high speed chase where DPD captured one of these criminal bastards - he was driving at speeds in excess of 120 mph ! Blowing red lights and stop signs like a homicidal maniac.

Im wrong, you guys are 100% right. These fuckers need to be stopped at all costs, and if they get their heads beaten in when the police finally capture them, so be it.

Except.....They didnt beat this one.

Why?

Its a detroit cop.

Django

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Im a little buzzed, did that make sense???^^^^^

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12884
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will not waste talk here, but will at the appropriate time.

Whoa, who am I this morning?!

Res may have met his match. I'll give him reason to remember, in the range and on the billiards table. Heck, skeet too. I'd even run around Waterford Hills or the Belle Isle track in matched vehicles.

As long as money isn't involved, only honor, we've got a competition. None of y'all can bet, either. Throws the karma. It's all good.

He may have more kills than me in the career scorecard, but only because he answered those who pestered him after pegging the ASVAB. I did, too, but they wouldn't make me pilot with my near-sightedness. Their loss, not mine.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my bets are on Gannon!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6686
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Except.....They didnt beat this one.

Mauser, you have no idea what happened when they arrested him, because I saw the same news story. This is what I'm talking about, the immediate ASSUMPTION that cops must just be bad and crooked, without a single damn fact or piece of evidence.

By the way, this wasn't even a high speed chase. He pulled over and gave up. They SAW him driving 120 mph and running signs.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/M ETRO01/805160413/1361

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit cop on the receiving end of a chase?

Gannon said;

"I will NOT put myself on any government list, no matter how benign it may appear at first."

I on the other had, want to be on every list I belong on. They need people like us to keep worrying about. It keeps them away from other's freedoms. The goal is to still be a problem after death, right? I mean, is my country's government, which is the land of the free, really going to be bothered by my opinions and views? Are my fellow citizens really going to tell me that I should leave because of how I see the world? Ah, I see. It's freedom to only those who act, talk, think, and behave a certain way. Is that really even freedom at all?

Gannon, it still amazes me how well you smoke out the trolls. I think I've been beginning to be viewed as crazy sense I defended you in a couple posts on the Non-Detroit side. Guilty by association I guess. I know I said I'd try to bite my tongue on these type of posts, but it's all just to easy (and annoying).

Oh, and hey Ragged, I hear you. I'm not a close friend, but we seem to get along, so whatever. "Gannon, I think that your views make others uncomfortable, and you should stop expressing yourself right now. Many view you as crazy because you think about stuff they choose not to think about. Of course that makes you crazy, and anyone crazy must not be allowed to protect themselves. I mean, it's not like the weakest in the pack need to defend themselves or anything" (for those that are truly off the cracker, yeah they aren't allowed protect themselves nowadays).

Is that better Ragged?

Sorry, guess I'm kind of an instigator.

Do you even know why our fore fathers viewed the right to bare arms as a necessity? It was because true freedom requires it. You need to be able to defend yourself. Some say it's outdated, but is a couple hundred years really that long in the grand scheme of things? Isn't it even remotely possible that something could go wrong in this country? If a nuclear bomb was detonated in either New York, L.A., or Washington D.C. (or all three) what would happen? Would this beautiful country be okay? would we possibly see a little bit of chaos? Would you be worried about rioting happening anywhere? Would you be worried about the nut on the coroner thinking that this is the end of the world and just maybe he is convinced he's going to Hell anyway, so might as well make the best of it. Rapes, murders, and other crimes are not outdated. I long for the day that we won't need guns anymore, I really do. The problem is criminals will always be able to get or make guns whether you ban them or not. They are not the ones who usually get permits anyway. Think about it, would a guy down on his luck, or a guy who is pissed at the world go and take classes and wait six months before he can commit his crime? No, he goes to the guy down the street selling them from the trunk of his car, or a seedy pawn shop. Don't even get me started on terrorists and other militant wackos. They would build their own guns in those compounds they have if they had to.

A gun is a machine, and nothing more. Just like a car, a knife, or Colonel Mustard's lead pipe in the conservatory; it can be used for whatever it is you choose to use it for.

While were on the subject, where can I go to learn about getting a CCW? I am going to be doing some late night deliveries along with street vending in the city within the next year, and I should probably at least look into this.

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 16, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're not instigating anything by logging in with self-important, pedantic, blow-hard posts on an internet forum which, relatively speaking, nobody bothers to keep up with.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you do.

You do right? You bothered to make that post. Not only that, but you also bothered to read my post. Why did you do that if you feel that way? Or is that just what you are saying and not thinking? A little bit of a contradiction there.

That post was also referring to things outside of this forum that a few of the people on here know about. The people out there who I was talking to know who they are.

Edit: Also, I don't think I'm any of the things you said I am. I do not think I am really all that important. The world would be just fine without me. I also don't have a very good self image. I have a lot of mistakes to pay for yet.

I'm not Kwame, I'm not on any sort of mission. But I'm glad to fill a space that is clearly available.

You don't have to remind me where I rank in the grand scheme of things, I get it.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is what I'm talking about, the immediate ASSUMPTION that cops must just be bad and crooked"

I am tired of the assumption that what police do is always good and correct even when it violates the Constitution. You want to live in a police state, move to Myanmar, Texas or someplace like that.

If you cant tell sarcasm when you see it, you need to take a break.

Django

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,Im reading it. I thought it was a worthwhile read. Unlike post 2279 by you

Gannon, That will have to be good enough for me as some trash talk. I Guess. what would be a good date and time. This is gonna be fun. Im really lookin foward to this. Should I bring some shells? Should I bring my 12 Gauge. LOL.

How about Tuesday June 3rd, High noon. ??

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6693
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recognized the sarcasm. The sarcasm doesn't affect the intent of your post in the slightest. Besides, I have plenty of other posts of yours to go on. You have an inherent dislike for authority. No, it should not be assumed the police are always good and correct, they should be monitored like all public employees. However, the knee-jerk disdain does nothing but hurt your own community.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - this Crazy Train thread jumped off the rails quite awhile ago.

Duals ? Races ? Handguns ? wtf ?

My point was always that high speed chases - which are illegal in many states - should not be permitted. Statistics prove that many people run simply because they are afraid of the police, and not because they just murdered somebody. The same data proves that when you run from cops, it becomes a personal insult to their authority, which leads to an adrenaline fueled high speed chase. At the end of the chase it is often impossible for the police involved to control themselves, because they are so enraged that you dared to defy them.

Bottom line is that all police should be required to hold some type of 4 year degree in criminal science.

Ignorant bullboys with a shitty high school diploma with guns = just another gang.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6694
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ignorant bullboys with a shitty high school diploma with guns = just another gang.

Mauser, have you ordered your "No Snitching" shirt yet?

Ravine

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I over-stated my reaction because your post seemed a bit over-the-top. Your references to being flagged, or having been flagged, by various government agencies for whatever quasi-revolutionary acts you see yourself as having carried off may strike a resonant chord (hey, Gannon!-- there's that resonance thing, again!) with some DY citizens who are on the inside of whatever the hell you are talking about, but to the casual reader-- like me, the Bull-Goose Self-Important Pedantic Blow-Hard-- it's just Sean_of_detroityes, tooting his own horn about lord-knows-what, because you're not really explaining, and please don't feel as though I am pressing for an explanation, because I'm not.

As to your comment about a contradiction: No, there is no contradiction, there. The fact that I bother, in a sporadic manner, to keep up with this forum does not mean anything. It's Just Us, here, and We are a very small group. Who Wrote What and Who Read What and Who Answered What are all matters of nearly-zero importance and/or impact, my bloated posts included.
In fact, one of the things which has been driving me further away from this forum is the same hyper-inflated sense of self-importance about which I was kidding you. A growing group of DY participants are increasingly attaching too much importance to what they, and others, write in this forum, and to the forum itself.
Move it along, folks; nothing to see, here.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - you like uneducated police, thats your business. Nothing controversial about what i said.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I wasn't implying that I was a good/better person or what have you. Just that I appreciate someone with a cause, and that I would go to those bizarre extremes to promote our freedoms. That's what I meant by the "I'm the type of person" line. That was worded bad.

The flags I speak of had nothing to do with any revolutionary act, so much as doing everyday things that got me into trouble awhile back. Kind of like that elderly group that was "infiltrated" in Fahrenheit 9/11.

It had nothing to do with anything really. That post was full of jokes, and some of it was meant to be taken as sarcasm.

I really didn't mean to come across as tooting my own horn.

I don't even think I have a horn to toot.

Even if I did, I'm not in the position to be able to do that. That really was not the intent.

I did however, express some of my views in the above post. Is that the same as tooting my horn?

Edit: I deleted the last line of that post so as not to confuse anyone else. All apologies. No more inside jokes.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6709
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Johnlodge - you like uneducated police, thats your business. Nothing controversial about what i said.

Mauser, you hate people who don't have a college degree, thats your business. Nothing controversial about me condemning pre-conceived notions.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11769
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer my police uneducated as it gives me the upper hand in trying to talk my way out of a ticket. :-)

Just like any position the vast majority are people that work hard at their job but the bad ones get the publicity and the perception is based upon those few.

Ravine

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., Sean_of; I hear ya. Sorry if I was caustic. Well, actually, I'm never sorry about being caustic, but I think I was heavy-handed about it, and you probably didn't deserve to have a seven-pound ham dropped on your head.

At least, you seem passionate. The human race needs more passion.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser-

Here is the "Gannon rant for the day translation"! Let me run it down for you:

"Duals ? Races ? Handguns ? wtf ?"...

No duel, Gannon challenged me to a shoot-off, at a local range, as he claimed he was abetter shot, and that he came about it naturally. I challenged him on that immediately, as I felt that I could best him in 10x's. Nothing sinister about a good challenge.

As for the races comment, I believe that he was alluding to being able to beat me at anything that I chose to challenge him on.

He later conceeds(somewhat) that I have more actual experience than him at shooting, but still feels he can beat me even at pool(something we never discussed but that I would also gladly challenge him to any day, time or place.

He also doesn't realize that by me growing up in Allen Park, most of the money that I made during my teen years was done either at Roosevelts or Thunderbowl(Cushion & Cue). Supplemented my Adray's income for about two years.

Handguns refers to the story of "How Gannon lost his gun"! Read at the beginning of the post, or the "Incite a riot" thread.

Hope that clears things up for you!

Pgn421-

After Gannon's declaration that he was trying to figure out who he was today, are you sure you still want to take that bet? I really do have much more experience with weapons of all types than he does:-)!

Sean-

What was that all about? Were you just being facetious, as you claim in post #349, or what?

As for getting in trouble and having a visit from the Feds, unless you had a previous conviction for, or were DIRECTLY threatening the government, I say bullshit on your claim that they just materialized and arrested and tried you for anything. They may have investigated from afar, but they would have made a charge stick if you really did something that, again, DIRECTLY threatened the government.

Aside from that, they usually don't bother.

By the way, some of your writing is obscure and cit can't be discerned whether you are telling stories and being truthful. Join the conversation if you will, but your method of making a point is giving me a headache......

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try to clean it up a bit.

Edit: Oh... no, that stuff about the fed run ins are very real. I'm not bragging, the whole thing was stupid. Like I said though, that's a story for another time. It wasn't that they just didn't like me. That is just why I think they kept bothering me.

It really is one of those things that made me question a lot of the actions of our government. It also really made the stories of conspiracies (like some of Gannon's) seem much more believable.

I really didn't know my posts were that bad... sorry all. I really just try to contribute. I like it here. I seriously didn't realize. My strange views aren't really all that strange. Or rather, they aren't always me. I just try to look at things from other perspectives, you know? I try to look at things from all angles. It is one of my faults I guess. Even in real life I'm a little argumentative. I don't mean anything by it. I just try to point out another view, even if its weird.

I'm really not THAT bad of a person. At least, I don't think I am.

Never was very good in social situations. Maybe that's one reason I like this forum. It's a way to learn.

I'll give all apologies that you guys feel are deserved. Especially for the one about the headache. Did my posts really give you a headache? Wow, sorry.

Please let me know if my contributions continue to be that bad. I really want to add positive things here. The last thing I want to do is detract from this community.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12891
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try to think in Haiku...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haiku?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."

-Henry David Thoreau

I'm still learning... I always will be.

Sorry again.

Django

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit apologizing, your fine. We all have our place here. Res can take some advil. You just need a big glass of self respect. We all piss eachother from time to time. Thats the beauty of this forum. were all learning to be better ppl here.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really just one of those days (or even weeks) for me. Sorry about the comments lately. I swear, you'd think I'd regressed (right word?) or something.

The apologies are warranted in part because I haven't been following my own advice around here. It's strange how that is so easy to let happen.

Anyway, moving on...

Ravine

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of, now I feel bad! You're taking the jabs-- including mine-- too much to heart! I never, ever, try to tell people how to feel, but PLEASE accept my apology and shake off my, and others', remarks. As the saying goes, "it ain't that deep."
Django's post, above, is right on the money. You seem like a perfectly alright guy, and I'm glad you're part of this forum.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean-

Stop groveling and asking for forgiveness, you're making me feel like I spanked my little brother and sent him to bed.

I definitely can tell you that that was not my intention at all. I was just trying to get some clarity as to what you were trying to add to the conversation, as you twisted and turned and lost me completely.

In short, you contradicted yourself. Welcome to the real world of communication 101. Sometimes that happens when we are trying to impress our point or perhaps being flippant.

As for the lack of respect issue you seem to have, remember that this is an internet forum where people of a ll types, characters and personalities post. Almost every poster on this thread has probably had the same thoughts about posting here and some have also not felt up to the task of posting at all. I lurked here for TWO YEARS before I made my first post. Almost all of my posts (400 or so) have been in regard to my efforts to help the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition restore Fort Wayne. So I kind of broke in here not engaging in these types of conversations, but by discussing the Fort. Those posts helped me break into other areas, too.

Another way to break the social stuff you got going on there would be to come out to a FSC on Thursday night. In person you get to know people a bit better and when you banter with them later on here it will be a bit easier to argue without feeling like you stepped on someones toes.

Last night at Sinbads, for example, would have been perfect, as it was a mix of old and new members about half a dozen strong. It was also a great night to be out on the river in Detroit.

Or, perhaps, you will show up at the picnic and introduce yourself. There will be a wide variety of posters there and the picnics founder, ItsJeff, set that very event up for people just like you to meet everyone here.

The HDT quote is apropos and I would further offer you this quote in regard to forming your character as well, which I believe is a bit more descriptive:

"As iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another".

Can you tell me which book that is from? (easy)

Living is the school of life long learning my friend. Don't ever stop trying to educate yourself.

Lastly, you do contribute, so continue on now.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, but don't feel bad, don't sympathize, and don't apologize. I dug that one myself. I can get through anything. I apologized, but am still here.

Back to the topic (sort of), Detroit is not turning into Los Angeles. If it was, I wouldn't have gotten rightfully called out on that last post. I mean, I have nothing against L.A., but I have heard that some in Hollywood act like that on a regular basis.

As to police chases; they are regular occurrences in many big cities.

L.A. has some problems because they sensationalize everything, even crime. Detroit doesn't sensationalize their crime like that (anymore). Unfortunately, we just view it as an everyday acceptable occurrence. That does seem to be our biggest speed bump around here. At least, it seems that way to me.

Their are some good officers in this city who are trying to do good. I know some feel that police can't do any real good, but even they would agree that there are some who try. The problem is the ones who are just there for a pay check. We have a little to much of that last one around here. It's just like what happens at every other job held by someone who hates their occupation. Poor customer service, theft, poor performance, burnout. Those are the same in any similar situation. The good thing about it is that the fix is probably obvious, as it is most likely similar to other similar situations that have been fixed in other fields. Now we just need more people who get things done around here...

That really is the whole point of some of my attempts at deeper posts and nauseating positive attitude. If even one person is reading that and decides to pick up the fight and get something done, then it was more than worth the energy it took to wright it. I honestly have all but given up on some of our lazier fellow residents around here. I just can't get them to move. I know at least some of those type of people probably will read this at some point. That's why I keep spewing positive views and such. The Internet is a hell of a thing, and a couple of these posts are bound to be resurfaced by someone months or years from now. There are actually sites taking snap shots of other sites on the web for historic value. Maybe I'll have long failed at anything I do in this city by the time my attempts at motivation are even read by someone who needs them, but they'll know that they aren't the only ones who were crazy enough to try and make a change. We don't have enough of a lot around here. Despite all the very talented people who are devoting their lives to Detroit right now, there can never be enough help. The task is just to big.

That is the other reason I owed everyone an apology. Those kind of posts have the exact opposite affects on people. They push them away. That is not what I want to be doing. And yes, I know this is just a message board, but it's a big one. A lot of people from our Metro post here, and for some reason, so do a lot of people from elsewhere.

Not trying to give anymore headaches or anything, but have you ever been to a Tigers or Lions game and just couldn't believe some of the horrible decisions that were made? It's so hard to see your own mistakes when you are making them. Hindsight is 20/20, but it's often useless. Fortunately, sometimes people on the outside with a good view also can see things perfectly clear. They can point out some things that you don't see.

I guess the point is, don't bother apologizing, I appreciate it. Don't worry, I've been here long enough to be able to handle it all. But also remember that I am someone who is a real person (not just a name on a screen), and I have (for my own reasons) decided not to hide my identity and motives. Feel free to call bullshit on things I say. But remember, unlike some others who post whatever walks into there heads; I have friends, family, business contacts, and neighbors who visit these very public and well known forums.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PLY, that was posted before I read your post.

I will be at one of the DY picnics. I'm very disappointed that Open City is going on Hiatus just when I joined too.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent story just now on 20/20 - showing the pure animalistic brutality of Chicago police caught on video tapes. Fun stuff like beating up bartenders or starting brutal fights in bars for no reason. A nice dash cam of officers discussing whether or not to let another drunk cop pulled over for DUI off the hook.

'Mauser, have you ordered your "No Snitching" shirt yet?'

I dont have a "no snitching shirt" because I am NOT A COP. The 20/20 report goes into the police "code of silence" - basically they dont snitch on each other, even when they commit horrible violent crimes. The inference is the fear of violent retribution from their coworkers. Sounds like a gang to me.

Serpico-atcha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F rank_Serpico

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a very interesting discussion with a gentleman on the bus about those "No Snitching" shirts that became popular awhile ago.

To make a long story short, we came to the conclusion that it is not snitching at all. If you are going out of your way to get someone in trouble just out of spite or disrespect, then THAT is snitching, and is horrible passive aggressive and backstabbing behavior. If you however, are reporting a criminal act that hurts either you, your family, friends, or community, then that is NOT "snitching". In that case, it is simple self defense of either you, your people, or your property.

It is mind boggling that this is taken the way it is.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 17, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SofD, Ive got to add something on the "snitching issue"

First off I hope I havnt missed something and am talking about already reported things.

The current tv shows DEA Detroit are a perfect example of snitching. This is just a perfect example of the drug war gone wrong. They bust a small time ding ding, flip him (make him snitch) on a dealer up the food chain, do it over and over until the smartest person dealing in that chain is either too smart to get caught by this strategy or the perp knows that if he does snitch, hes putting himself or his familys life at risk.

Its all like shooting fish in a barrel. Who couldnt do this job? Finding a drug dealer in detroit is like asking for directions to the closest liquor store. I understand theres a certain amount of risk entering a dope house with a warrent. But for the most part, It seems to be just a paycheck and thrill for these guys doing the busts. Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for law enforcement, just as I do teachers, but this realm of law gets under my skin.

Red Light District.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never really thought of it that way...

Django

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually SofD I just reread your post and you make a good point. I didnt see it that way as I was so wrapped up in that damn DEA show. When a person is put in that situation, hes going to look after who?, his dealer or his family. Your right, there is a diff in what is snitching and what , how should I say it, Whats going to help your own situation or family. Thats exactly why I hate this damn drug war.

That was probably a little confusing but I hope you got my drift.

Respect.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do.

The war on drugs... what a discussion that always leads to. You could talk all night on that one and still get no where.

The war on drugs has become stagnant for a lot of reasons. I don't like to really debate that subject a whole lot. It's just to touchy of a subject for many people, and I don't know enough about it anyway. The snitch thing really gets silly when it is applied to by standers though. If someone does a drive by in your neighborhood, and you have a bullet graze your house, and you have information, why on earth would that be considered "snitching"? I'm all about loyalty and such, but some of the things that that is being applied to is just getting ridiculous. Not that I necessarily expect more from anyone who would make everyday use of such a childish based term on the streets.... It just seems kind of bizarre. Does anyone know why or how this is being taken this way in the supposed Information Age? Is it because of "da bling" that they have? Does that make people listen to them? Please enlighten me on this subject, 'cause I can't see how it makes sense to ANYONE other than justifiers of crime when taken to these absurd extremes.

As far as the WoD subject... war on poverty with the seriousness given to the drug wars is my dream... could you imagine what an impact America could have made on the world if we did that instead? Maybe everyone wouldn't hate us so much? :-(

I don't support drug use, but there has to be a better way for a country to help keep it's citizens on the right paths, and to stabilize it's economy. I mean who's idea in our government was it to go to war with our own people? Governments of free countries don't go to war with their own citizens!? I mean sometimes citizens start a civil war against a oppressive government. However, a country claiming to be free going to war with it's people because they are acting to liberal/free??? In 1,000 years the war on drugs will be looked at as one of America's greatest mistakes.

In the meantime, we're slowly sinking into another dark age yet again (yeah I hope I'm just paranoid on that one too, it's open to ridicule). That is all because we can't learn to not control what our friends and neighbors do. IF there is a God, I think I would have to support his great decision to isolate his creation into the middle of a proverbial ocean too! And everyone wonders why are prayers are answered. Yet they never stop to think that maybe they haven't done or even thought anything to deserve an answer...

Sorry, I'm going a little to far with this one. I don't mean to offend or disrespect anybody. Like I said, this is a subject riddled with hidden traps that offend people. Suddenly your lost in a forest trying to argue out of an unwinnable war.

I don't know enough about the subject, but it sounds strange upon a first look. All those Dare classes they made us take. I do wounder why they never actually told us WHY drugs are bad. They just said it was bad. End of discussion. In high school, we went even allowed to debate it amongst ourselves. Zero Tolerance.

I don't know, that whole subject is riddled with traps for anyone who touches it, no matter what side they take. I just see no win, with a bunch of people continuing to die trying. What a waste of life and precious crime fighting resources. There just has to be a better angle/way. Our peace officers and soldiers deserve a little more honor than this.

Plus, if the governments of the world actually were as serious as they say they are, this "war" would have been kicked into high gear years ago. It seems like they are FINNALLY starting to do that. Of course, I don't know exactly how they expect to win. If drug addicts where actually forced to "fight" for their cause (and I think contrary to what many believe, they eventually would), well, then we are going to be fighting addicts. How else can I put that? If they are actually addicted, then that is the ultimate reason to fight. Have you ever seen how crafty and crazy some of our cities drug addicts can be? How do you beat that desire?

Sorry... there I go again...

See what I mean? I started this post with the intent to just wright a couple sentences.

Undebatable. It's full of traps and people on both sides that have already chosen their version of the truth. Both sides are probably wrong anyways. Isn't that usually how these things go?

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 18, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the whole problem. Drugs are Illegal, thats why someone might be shooting up the hood. Just like during days of prohibition. End it all. Take the money aspect out of it, tax it whatever, just quit trying to tell ppl what they can and cannot ingest. And stop putting ppl behind bars with draconian sentencing laws that only open up a new position for a younger, possibly more violent and or ruthless drug dealer.

I agree with almost everything youve said. I dont think they will ever be able to regulate ILLEGAL drugs though. They could regulate legal drugs. Amsterdams drug use has wavered up and down depending on which agencey has done the computing. Its decrimed there, but use has basicly stayed the same. Which is pretty impressive if you think about it as you would think it would attract all the drug addicts of the world.

Im getting off track. This is my soapbox but Im a bit tired tonite. Good points SofD. Ill never back down from a decrim. then legalization angle though. Its really the prison system that makes me hate this war so much.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.