Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Symphony Gets Robot Conductor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://apnews.excite.com/artic le/20080514/D90L4CE00.html

Okay so it was just mimicking a real conductor's movements from a previous performance. At least the Detroit symphony made the news.

The negative? Another job lost to a foreigner, and one that wasn't even assembled in a US factory!

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's amazing. I've seen several you tube videos displaying what he can do. Now that's assuming he's a he.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In hard times, even Robocop needs to explore alternative careers.

VIDEO: http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080513/VIDEO05 /80513088

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080514/ENT04 /805140446

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music, Will Robinson!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four posts and nothing from BuyAmerican

What you conduct conducts America!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honda is invading Detroit with conducting robots--saw the story last night on NBC nightly news...

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon the orchestra will be robots, too. I can almost hear Elmer Fudd singing "Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit!"

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pretty soon the orchestra will be robots, too.

Toyota Robot Plays Violin

I don't think the DSO violinists have anything to worry about - not yet, at least.....

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was only a matter of time until these type of jobs began to get outsourced to robots and Indians! ;-)

Username: 3420

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm impressed with the robot and then I'm just a wee lil bit worried to a certain extent. Lets say for example the auto companies each buy thousands of these robots to work the line. Then lets say the City of Detroit or any city buy these robots to pick up trash or patrol the streets. Or even better yet, lets make the robots so strong and intelligent they can fight in a war. Impressed but this is a somewhat wake up call. I have seen bicentennial man and I like the movie....lol.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robots are used for repetitive tasks. If you were to "give" a robot a pack of cigarettes (unopened) and a bic lighter and then had to program the robot to open the pack, get out a ciggie, then light it (presuming a robot could inhale) you would be looking at a fairly complex set of instructions. Once programmed, that is sunk cost and it can smoke away.
Picking up trash, a totally random act would be a complex program at this point in time.
There are many jobs and tasks that people can do (and some fairly dense people at that) where the haman ability to see something, judge that it is trash and have the hand-eye coordination to pick it up is still valuable.
Having the desire to show up every day and to keep doing that task is the challenge.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6500
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out in Calif. they hired robots to pick grapes, and those sonsabitches wouldn't show up for work either. 56packman, your point is well taken.

As they say down to the DSO, "orchestrate that!"

jjaba.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit Symphony Gets Robot Conductor"

Your robot made the local news last night--San Diego, CA.

Oh and I saw another Michigan commercial yesterday, starring Jeff Daniels.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6502
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that Michigan commercial is all over the country. The welcome mat is out. Where's Jeff Daniels from?

jjaba.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chelsea

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6673
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your governor is on our TV every time I look. YOU'LL BE BACK, he says. I'M HONORED! Honored by what? HONORED SWARZENEGGA! Come to California or I bust you up, yah?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11736
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What conducts you conducts America.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the commercial that features his wife and Rob Lowe?

They run it all the time out here as well;
The Calif. budget is ~short~ 17 billion dollars.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6675
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that one. I just got carried away a little. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.