Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » TWO Car Chases in ONE Day? Are We LA Now?! » Archive through May 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12822
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious.

Hanging at Cub's Community Garden this afternoon, we heard a horrible thump. An obvious accident, only a few blocks away, no screeching tires...and oddly NO sirens at all.

Don't know what happened, but there was an awful lot of new glass and car parts just west of the Harper/Gratiot/I-94 intersection.

We later saw a few news helicopters hovering in the western horizon...and I thought they might be covering a heated creative demonstration against the incinerator. Been a few decades, but my old Ban the Burn friends have rekindled their public fires against this insidious inner-city incinerator.

Turns out, as Django and I rode home on our non-gasoline wasting locomoting devices, that there was a high-speed chase from Ferndale to the city...that ended poorly, but not nearly as bad as it could've been.

Some Dodge Durango driver ended up bumping a handicapped driver onto the curb, and it looked like he then bounced into the parking lot...off a light pole that carved a nice crease into where the grille used to be.

Nobody was killed, and none of the officers involved was hurt...but I do not have any information on the person in the handicap vehicle, which looked horrible.

Seems it really could've and should've been much worse, since that corner looked like quite the busy spot.

So I went looking for information on this accident, on the only news site that seems to cover city accidents, WDIV's ClickonDetroit.com...and found ANOTHER STORY on a high-speed chase...and remembered my new Los Angeles friend's sincere warnings to me when I moved there about proper chase etiquette. Which I never had to use, far as I can tell those chases ONLY happen there on the TV!

Either way, here are some pictures I quickly took at the scene of the first accident:

Saturn Close-Up

Saturn Far-Away

Minivan and Midwest's Finest

The Culprit

How do Ferndale's Police get to say that they are the 'Midwest's Finest'? While I've only heard of ONE even slightly-bad officer wearing their uniform...heh, anecdotally and only against bicyclists, thanks Fishtoes...and I can count Chief Kitchen as a satisfied client...aren't they bound to the same truth-in-advertising laws as the rest of the country? Heh...

Gannon

Post Number: 12823
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just realized, that was a RAM pick-em-up truck.

I wonder if he was just trying to see if it lived up to it's moniker?!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shit happens! as the weather gets nicer, more people are out and about, and therefore prone to more shit happening!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I wonder what this guy did. Ferndale had to chase him a long way into Detroit to get to I-94.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the whole thing on the Ferndale police freq.
Had a tape player handy and taped the whole thing.
When they go to that "open-sky" digital that no scanner will pick up I'll have something exciting preserved to remember the good old days of analog scanning by.

Im currently searching for a new past time. Or moving somewhere my radio can pick up something after this year.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stolen truck

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11725
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just brought up an off topic question. How do jurisdictions work?

I ask because I was on Gratiot a few blocks south of State Fair and there was a Warren cop that was driving North on Gratiot (with nobody in the back) and he stopped at a red then decided to make a left hand turn through the red at a slow rolling pace. I decided to drive down the street and he was not pursuing anyone, just driving at a slow pace and driving through reds and stop signs.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 551
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hpgrmin- what kind of scanner do you have?

Gannon

Post Number: 12831
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

At this point, that dude could've been with one of the multi-jurisdictional anti-whatever forces and was cruising waiting for his prompt to pounce with a raid.

They look way too obvious when they line up in a row...saw that on MLK at Cass before they bounded into an apartment building that had a bad guy in it...I'd bet enough people called ahead to let him know that they have now changed their tactics.

It was a brutal show of force...a glimpse of our future, unfortunately. Jackboots and all.

Unfortunately, by noticing and following him, you went over the line on that whole surveying a police officer during duty...heh...I remember hearing of some law that said you couldn't do such a thing! (will be very glad if I'm wrong on that)

Cheers

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6642
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale police and their neighbors, including Detroit and Oakland County Sherrif, have been increasing their cooperation. There have been some very good results, there was a inter-department investigation that led to the arrest of 2 guys who had been robbing fast food places all over the place. They had hit the Subway and the Pizza Hut in Ferndale I think, plus more in other cities. This is GOOD news, and I feel safer for it.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11731
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - I didn't really follow him, just turned down the street he went down then looped back a block later towards my final destination. I wasn't following him just curious to see if he continued through stop signs since he showed a complete disregard for the red light.

Thanks for the info Gannon and JL.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan needs to ban high speed chases - cops cant handle the adrenaline, and the result is the endangerment of innocent bystanders. Ive been counting how many high speed chases end in crashes lately, and its been a per week event.

I was in Warren a few weeks ago and saw 15 Warren police chasing one car. The first horde of police had lights but no siren, and people were able to stop to let them through the red lights. But the tag along cars were a surprise, and people were thrown off by having to stop three different times for the blue parade of fools.

Then you know damn well when they finally stop the runner, all those cops are going to take turns beating him. Everybody certainly has had a chance to see the recent helicopter footage of the crowd of police beating three subdued suspects after a high speed chase (out of state). Several cops were clearly seen running from suspect to suspect in frustration, because there was no room for them to get in on the kicking and punching.

To many pigs, not enough teats.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6643
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, blame the police because criminals steal cars, rob establishments, mug people at gunpoint, and then run from the law.

Gannon

Post Number: 12837
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, blame them ONLY for their over-reaction IF you've never been in a similar circumstance.

After pursuing the fellow who stole the stuff from MY car in West Bloomfield a few years back...I had to laugh when the officers from Bloomfield Township who finally subdued him told me to just go sit in my car.

After a chase that endured for fifteen minutes, twice at somewhere near a hundred miles per hour...through a few subdivisions.

I said there was NO WAY I could sit, I was like a Mexican Jumping Bean with adrenaline. It was simply amazing. I even told them I couldn't believe that ALL of these high-speed chases didn't end with some serious ass-whooping.

Until you've BEEN THERE, you have no idea what these officers go through.

But, even with all my efforts risking my life to bring this serial thief to justice, the West Bloomfield Chief still holds onto my Glock 9mm until I get a permit to carry.

Illegally holding onto MY property until I acquiesce to his unwarranted desires. I don't want to know the bad karma he's collecting.

Cheers!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6645
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Gannon. Illegally holding your gun that you were illegally in possession of! The nerve! Actually, if you get your permit, and he gives it back, I'd say that's pretty cool of him.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Illegally holding onto MY property until I acquiesce to his unwarranted desires.

Nevermind it was illegal for you to be carrying it in the first place. Some day you should list all the laws that you feel you don't have to follow.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel safer knowing there is a kook with one less gun.

Gannon

Post Number: 12838
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was being legally carried in the trunk of my car, the perp went in when I was loading up at the end of the night with the trunklid open and took my camera bag containing the weapon...along with my laptop computer case.

ALL of you judgemental freaks can kiss my ass...AND fuck right off!

I've got lots more.

That one was just my favorite, and the one I am most lethal with.

Eat my shorts, Ftdfd!

You guys are relentless. Don't come my way looking for help when society breaks down.

Gannon

Post Number: 12839
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did risk my life making certain he did not make off with it, too.

You are all going to have to stand in line to kiss my ass.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Michigan needs to ban high speed chases - cops cant handle the adrenaline, and the result is the endangerment of innocent bystanders. Ive been counting how many high speed chases end in crashes lately, and its been a per week event."

Yes..... the cops should definitely not pursue criminals who attempt to outrun the police with cars. Definitely a great idea.

The crooks will probably stop running after a while due to gas prices and cheap food in a comfy correctional facility. Why would they continue to run from police if they keep getting away with it?

This issue is so tired and old. Get over it. Cops chase robbers. Even kids know this. If they didn't, Detroit would be a lot more unsafe.

Gannon

Post Number: 12841
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I do carry it in my passenger compartment, fully loaded and ready for action, whenever I travel well outside of civilization.

That is my right to defend myself against aggression, from the Constitution on back to Common Law.

Closest I ever got to pulling it was when attacked by a hotrod Mustang convertible on Interstate 10 between Los Angeles and Phoenix in the wee-morning hours.

Fellow tried to get me off the road four times, when I finally decided to simply outrun him. He never saw a station wagon that could run 135 for extended lengths of time. He might STILL be wondering where I went!

I didn't pull it then, and anyone who knows me knows full well that it would be used in only the most dire of circumstances.

I also didn't pull it when attacked by another person on the OH turnpike, he also tried to run me off the road repeatedly. Even OH's amazing police state couldn't do anything for me in the middle two towns, they merely took the information and probably gathered him up at one of the exits.

I was never contacted to file a complaint.

I have not landed a punch (nor thrown one, you assumptive judges) since third grade. I have also not been in a fight since then. I know what my anger can turn me into, so it has been something I've spent a lifetime avoiding. It takes a very long and protracted effort to make me mad!

Even when the fight is brought to me. I showed up every time a thug promised to kick my ass during eleventh grade in high school. He never showed to prove he could.

I am exactly the type you WANT to be armed when someone decides that shooting up a roomful of innocent strangers is something they need to do to get even with the world.

I can hit a four-inch wide target at fifty feet at rapid fire with every shot of a fifteen round clip, and I still have the bodyform paper that I grouped 3.5 inches in the chest and 2.5 inches in the head with three-round bursts at Target Sports in Royal Oak...at over twenty feet.

Had two fellas from downrange come over to meet me that day...they wanted to know where I'd trained and which agency I was with. Had to ask the manager when I left who they were, one was from a government agency where he DIDN'T have to identify himself.

So...again, kiss my ass you judgemental fools, it's about time to get my weapon back...but the intricacies of the concealed carry law and the real reason behind it will keep me from THAT list. Oh well, karmic whiplash to the one who keeps my property from me!

Makes me an outlaw?...so be it. So be it.

Don't ever think you'll pay me an unscheduled aggressive visit and not leak a bit of your lifeforce...heh! Go after an innocent neighbor or my family? The might have to identify you by DNA.

When I'm not home, I'll turn the other cheek.

Gannon

Post Number: 12843
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a man of peace and I aim to keep it that way.

I am fully uncomfortable with my gift of weapon handling accuracy. Believe me.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care what kind of martyr you paint yourself as, you still obviously think yourself above the law. Someone who owns lots of guns and considers themselves to be above the law is not the kind of person I want around me no matter how you spin your story.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I am truly sorry for every snarky thing I've ever said to/about you. I now realize you are in a category with Danny. Rather than call you out on every hypocritical thing you say, I'll just offer my help to you. I can refer you to some Asperger's support groups I know of, or drug abuse counseling if you're ever ready. Anything you need babe. Please ask soon.

Do you not have a SO to keep tabs on you ?

Gannon

Post Number: 12844
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ragged.

You'll leave me alone from now on, then?

(doesn't mean your comments weren't necessary to open me up to other possibilities and perspectives, but your damn delivery has always been so...negative...so, well, defeating and attacking. That cannot be healthy for you, and I will not let it be unhealthy to me!)

I've got a bunch of significant and positive people who are around me all the time...no need to add another, you are FAR behind the learning curve on this one, and you'll likely never catch up.

Better to watch from the sidelines...and just be amused.

Dds,

It is not that, I'm not above anything, but there ARE a ton of laws that are written for a purpose that is ONLY understood in the minutiae. An entire profession has developed around creating fine print that the average person cannot understand, and IF you can afford a great and/or well-connected attorney you can get out of pretty much ANY crime.

For instance, someone just called another out on tax evasion on another thread.

Our country was FOUNDED by a bunch of righteous tax evaders. And gun toters. We would NOT have the country with its amazing foundations that we think we are still enjoying today. If ONLY we could get BACK to what our founding fathers had strained to originate in the mid-eighteenth century!

IF the laws are unjust, and reach well beyond either the original intent or the subsequent interpretation goes astray from mere logic and respect for mere humans (humans above money always and always)...I have no reason to acquiesce. So I won't...and there is no force on earth that will make me settle under a system of INJUSTICE that has devolved over the last couple hundred years, but especially this past century!

If you think all laws are just and must be followed all the time, you are not someone I want to hang around with, either...so we are evenly happy with one another. If you NEVER question authority, you are a huge part of the problem we face today.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge said:
quote:

"Yes, blame the police because criminals steal cars, rob establishments, mug people at gunpoint, and then run from the law."

Why does everything have to be this or that? Why can't police in inner city neighborhoods be tough on crime without cracking someone's head open or shooting to kill? This is half of Detroit's crime problem. Police either shoot to kill or beat anyone who even looks like a suspect or they simply shrug their shoulders and look the other way. People are oblivious to the fact that there is something in between the two thought processes.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am fully uncomfortable with my gift of weapon handling accuracy. Believe me."

While I consider my proficiency with weapons a natural talent, I practice it to perfection as well as embrace it.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm just going to say that its really difficult to resist the urge to pile on here...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I ask because I was on Gratiot a few blocks south of State Fair and there was a Warren cop that was driving North on Gratiot (with nobody in the back) and he stopped at a red then decided to make a left hand turn through the red at a slow rolling pace. I decided to drive down the street and he was not pursuing anyone, just driving at a slow pace and driving through reds and stop signs."

Believe it or not, cops have reasons for going into other cities than simply pursuit. Could be there for a civil servant funeral, or delivering or picking up someone held in the custody of the City of Detroit.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cops are the worst drivers,they think just because they carry a badge and gun, they are above the law,