Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DMC Children's Hospital Expansion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7352
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DMC Announces Children's Hospital Expansion

DETROIT, Mich. -- There is a major expansion plan in the works for Children's Hospital of Michigan.

The president and C.E.O. of the Detroit Medical Center, Mike Duggan, told Local 4 they are going to knock down an abandoned nursing home across from Children's Hospital to make room for a new pediatric facility.

Duggan said he hopes this will prevent patients from having to go through the hospital just to see a doctor.

Duggan said the groundbreaking will take place this spring and the facility should be open by spring 2010.

It will be the first new facility built on the Detroit Medical Center campus in nearly 30 years.

Source: Copyright 2008 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

YAY! This is great news Way to go Duggan. You really save Detroit's Medical Facilities.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4780
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They deserve it. I wonder how large this building will be.

Duggan has been a good financial manager for the DMC, and he and the people around him have come up with some good ideas over the years.

I would think that most of the funding for this is coming from CHM's rather large coffers.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is too bad they have to tear down a beautiful historic building to do this.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which street will the new building be on?

Rjlj

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willis and John R

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the nursing home:

link?

Rjlj

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevermind, I have no idea what I am talking about. Anyone know where this will be?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 939
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmeyers - Yes, that is the nursing home that will be torn down.

Check out the front page video collection on Clickondetroit.com for renderings and the story

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 940
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, they are taking 5 acres of a city park to use for surface parking. Gross

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6825
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nevermind, I have no idea what I am talking about.

:-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6681
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need somewhere to put those Fun Centers we won for them.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At what point does an institution's growth stop helping a city and start hurting it?

What if, in the year 2038, there were no midtown left, only Wayne State University and the Medical Center meeting at Woodward, with a few loft developments for the people who work there? On paper, that would be a success, right? Tax revenues coming in, roads choked with traffic from people driving in and parking and working and driving out again. Endless lines of Cysco and Gordon Food Service trucks lines up at institutional truck bays to keep food moving in. A chain of health care workings lining the sidewalks smoking furiously. Etc. etc.

It sounds like a moneymaker. So why does that not sound like the kind of place I want to live at all?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6684
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When overdevelopment becomes a problem, get back to me on that.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11749
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the other day I was walking around midtown thinking how much it would suck if all the empty houses and vacant lots were filled. It would really make my walks longer since I wouldn't be able to cut through all the vacant parcels.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. I get the gag, John. But still, cities, to me at least, are places where you have diversity. Lots of different people, different races, doing different jobs, having different backgrounds, lots of different kinds of properties, lots of different ways to get around, etc. These huge campuses may fill up a city, but they don't look to me like cities at all. Get my drift?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6685
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, such is the nature of this "Midtown". That's why it isn't "Downtown". MSU, CCS, DMC, DIA, DPL, if it can be abbreviated in 3 letters, Midtown's got it.

(Message edited by johnlodge on May 15, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add one more: BFE. :-)

Jt1

Post Number: 11752
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCB

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1: You can't fool me. That's MCBW!

Don't forget AIB! :-)

Jt1

Post Number: 11753
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DHM

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4781
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are building on the other side of Beaubien.

The building that they are removing has little architectural merit nor history; they only purchased a portion of Tolan Field. Lord knows there isn't much difference between an underused field and a parking lot...we're really no worse off. Don't get me wrong, I see that Tolan does get used, but it still will be if it shrinks a bit. Hopefully the tennis courts will be rebuilt on a different corner of the park, though.

DNerd, I know what you're saying, but I think it's an overreaction, and certainly does not apply to this particular move by the DMC (which, bear in mind, hasn't built a new building for 30 years!). If you're complaining about how all of midtown east of John R. is a series of superblocks and a campus, fine, but that was made such over 50 years ago. The curvilinear roads (like where Beaubien turns into St. Antoine St. by DR Hosp.), and all the mid-modern housing in that neighborhood appeared a long time ago. But shit, this has happened all over, why get angry at the DMC and those who planned it? Drive across the Chrysler on Canfield-- it's more of the same: modern developments, greenfields where there used to be houses, and stupid street patterns (i.e. Russell St. is mindlessly blocked at Canfield). Or go into Brush Park-- east of Beaubien it is basically superblocks and terrible 1960s-90s architecture. Even between the DMC and Woodward there is an awful superblock (from Mack all the way to Alexandrine, east of John R), which has nothing to do with the DMC. The Ellington is built on this block. There is a parking garage that goes all the way across this block.

I know, it's depressing, but that quadrant of "midtown" has been like this for awhile. At least there are many thousands of jobs here, so it serves a purpose. Many of the people who are moving to the other, more properly urban corners of midtown go to work in this part of Midtown.

And your lament applies to a good half of the city, and I could talk about it all day with you, but news of a positive development by the DMC, which really makes nobody (including our built environment in midtown) any worse off, is not the occasion.

----
The facility will be 75,000 sf and will cost $34 mil, according to Duggan's email to DMC staff. Designs have not yet been created, but it will open in 2010.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Duggan said he hopes this will prevent patients from having to go through the hospital just to see a doctor."

If that is essentially the only reason for it, I think that the money could be better used elsewhere.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP -

the hospital is overused, and they want to be able to provide the emergency and longterm care separate from the simple pediatric needs. Seems like a no-brainer to me

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure there won't be emergency services here. The pediatric ER will stay as is. Often times kids are transferred from the ER to a floor in the hospital. The new building will be for outpatient services. That means mostly clinics and offices. Kids come in to see a doctor or receive treatment etc, and then go home. It could, however provide a lot of new room for expanded services at the main hospital.

This is huge and definitely needed. I have been at Children's for a few years and see first hand how overcrowded and cramped the hospital can be. I'm happy that this long rumored addition is finally becoming reality. This is a great boost for pediatric health care in our community.

Also, those fun centers are not what they sound like. I originally thought they would be play rooms (like many seem to think). They are just mobile movie/video game units that can be pushed around from room to room for kids to use.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.