Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Teen Center At Main Library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome! I've been saying that a decent amount of crime in Midtown and the CBD is caused by teens with nothing to do. This should help if that is true. What do you guys think?

Excerpt from Model D:

The Detroit Public Library has transformed its reading room into a high-tech hangout for teens called HYPE (Helping Young People Excel). Its goal is to "provide community youth a place to come, a refuge that is nice and progressive," says A.J. Funchess, DPL's assistant director of marketing. "It has all the bells and whistles -- when you walk in the door it lifts you up."

Link: http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/dpl14308.aspx

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be @ the opening today snapping pics.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess going to the library to actually read a book is too much to expect from kids nowadays.

Another sign of the times.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better in a library on a computer than on the streets, getting into trouble.

I really like the idea of not allowing adults into the room. Teenagers need a space to act like teenagers.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit, let us know when you get them posted!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I like the idea of this program for teens, I'm not particularly happy that we adults will never again be able to view the Frederick Wiley mural of Michigan or the Pewabic Fairy Tales Fireplace created for the original Children's Reading Room when the Library was built in the 1920s. See the mural and fireplace in the photo in this WWJ news item: http://www.wwj.com/Detroit-Lib rary-Opening-High-Tech-Haven-F or-Teens/2129510

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Libraries aren't about BOOKS and MAGAZINES. They're about babysitting teenagers who might be out on the streets getting into trouble?

Sigh... :-(

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I share your thoughts, Kathleen. Our poor library. No endowment,limited budget, little support, leaky roof etc. Yet its still a gem. But getting more tarnished by the years. Is their Friends' Group viable and active?
Meanwhile, right across the street sits the brand spankin' new DIA, just refurbished, recipient of big-time fund-raising/endowment, large suburban financial support like there's no tomorrow, several after-hour events, really flourishing. So where did we go wrong?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.