Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Soul Food » Archive through May 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't honestly say when I last heard anyone use the phrase "soul food" (particularly in suburban SW Ohio).

Wondering aloud as to the whereabouts in Detroit of a Soul Food restaurant.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John R and Piquette. Daves Drive Inn.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Daves Drive Inn.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good food reasonably priced,you will not leave hungry.tell Dave hi

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is in Southfield. I've had their fare and its great!

http://www.beanscornbread.com/

Enjoy!

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southern Fires off of Jefferson before Belle Isle is extremely good. Been there numerous times...and would highly recommend it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I 2nd Southern Fires.

Also, don't forget the other good places such as Steve's and Park's. :-)

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse my stupid question...

What exactly is "soul food?" Can anyone provide me with some examples?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S oul_food

It's mainly food for black people. :-)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soul food is, roughly, southern food with somewhat less refinement.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Beans and Cornbread and Southern Fires are very good. At Southern Fires I had 2 pieces of fried chicken nice and juicy, macaroni and cheese, and candied sweet potatoes, all VERY good. They are on the block above the pharnacutical/condo development.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Soul food is, roughly, southern food with somewhat less refinement."

And somewhat less mayonnaise (I'm talking to YOU, Paula Deen!)... not to mention somewhat less green bean casserole... and somewhat more flavor. :-)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's mainly food for black people. :-)

Awww, it's not just for black people, any more!:-)

I make soul food every day. Meat, starch, veggies, all cooked until the love seeps out all ovah da' plate!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Steve's is still in business? That was my wife's favorite soul food place 20 years ago.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you Kathinozarks. I was raised on pinto beans, (cooked with a piece of fatback) ham (if we were lucky), cornbread and buttermilk. I've had my share of polk salad, plenty of okra, collard greens, dandelion greens - picked right from the front yard. Oh and biscuits and red eye gravy. We call it country eatin'. Having raised my boys up north, when I cook that way its a real treat for them. They love it when I cook up a mess of a soul/country meal. Top it off with a peach cobbler and sweet tea to drink. My boys can make short work out of a meal like that. :-)

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An example of 3 traditional 'African in amerikkkan' Soul Food New Years Day Dinners.

Chitterlings and Pinto Beans with a Side of Hot Water Cornbread, and Peach Cobbler.

Neck Bones and Black Eye Peas, Collard Greens and Hot Water Cornbread and Corn pudding.

Pig Feet, Collard Greens, Candied Yams, Hot water Corn Bread, and Chess Pie...

note: It wouldn't be a Soul Food Dish without the Hot Water Cornbread!

These traditional dinners in the true 'African in amerikkka' villages are said to bring 'Good-Fortunes' into the New Year.

blksoul_atcha!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

Yes - no mayo in soul food! And Mrs. Wilkes' has it all over Paula Deen's.

And sweet tea is the only right way to make iced tea :-)

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm black. I love those types of food and eat them no matter how much the doctor complains. By the way, if I move up there will I be able to find grits? A bowl of that with butter and salt starts my day.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every innercity coney island has grits, every day.

"It's mainly food for black people." - You peoples is hilarious.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milt's Gourmet Bar-B-Que
19143 Kelly Rd.
Detroit, MI 48205
313-521-5959

Chuckjav

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for the hot tips on Detroit's Soul Food restaurants.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x - my dad thinks he's in Heaven when he gets to eat pig's feet. None of us kids would dare be in the house when that event was taking place. Mom would even leave. All the lip smacking and sucking the bones - we just couldn't take the sound effects that would come from him! Dad's aunt would fix them and send over a bowl. We experienced the feast once and that did it!

And chess pie rocks!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eriedearie stated...
quote:

Blksoul_x - my dad thinks he's in Heaven when he gets to eat pig's feet. None of us kids would dare be in the house when that event was taking place. Mom would even leave. All the lip smacking and sucking the bones - we just couldn't take the sound effects that would come from him! Dad's aunt would fix them and send over a bowl. We experienced the feast once and that did it!

And chess pie rocks!

I can definitely relate to that scene...there is absolutely NO etiquette when eating Pig Feet!(LOL!)

My Parents are from the South...and the smell of chitterlings and smoked Pig feet, chess pie, and peach cobbler is a common smell around the holidays!

As for me...Pinto Beans, Hot-water Cornbread and a Big Ole' glass of Red Kool-aid is as close as it comes to traditional Soul Food.(smile)...I'll leave the other stuff for my peeps!

Vicks Barbecue(W.Warren and 25th) is a excellent Soul Food Joint.

blksoul_atcha!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x - do you have a recipe for the hot water cornbread you could post over on the non-detroit thread for food again? I make cornbread but its not that kind. I'd like to try your variety next time I make it.

My favorite soul food meal is...Pinto beans, sweet onion hunks, or fresh green onions, cornbread and a big ole' glass of ice cold buttermilk. My dessert of choice would be a hunk of cornbread crumbled up in a glass, pour buttermilk over it and eat it with a spoon! Now that's some good eatin'!

BTW Chuckjav - great thread!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5394
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, avoid Kenny's Ribs and Chicken. I got food poisoning from there and the service was terrible. Red Hot and Blue is some of the best I have had, but it's out in the burbs and always has a good crowd.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11722
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make it an evening and go to Baker's for a great show, drinks and great food.

Also Southern Fires is great but don't go there planning on having a drink - no booze.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just about ready to bust out of here and hit the I-75...200 minutes to Detroit.

(Talk of such great food is driving me to distraction.)

Oh my-damn....Baker's too; now I am totally craving!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11724
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck - I'm sure that if you are in SW Ohio you can find some good sould food in Cincy or even some areas of northern Kentucky.

Just a guess though since I don't know Cincy or northern Kentucky well.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just made my first chess pie last night.

It is delicious!

Jfried, my family loves Milt's also.

And, Steve's was a favorite of mine back in the early 90's. Went there with an older gentleman friend of mine named Woody. Woody always wore a suit and hat and I try to speak of him from time to time. He was something else.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1...Right you are, lots of good & soulful places to eat in Cincinnati and northern KY; second only to Detroit.