Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » GM should try this in the U.S.: bicycle racks on cars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was poking around the web, looking for bicycle routes to work and other things, and I found this article:

http://www.treehugger.com/file s/2006/10/gm_tries_integratedb ike_racks.php

I think this is a neat idea- making bike racks a standard feature on cars.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 963
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Standard feature, unlikely.
Optional, maybe.

It's not like there aren't already a multitude of aftermarket racks that you can get for your rig, probably at a lesser cost w/ greater options.
I love my roof mounted Yakima rack, which fits neatly onto the factory installed roof rack side rails.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're willing to pay $1000 (£500) for a Bike rack. That's almost 5% of the vehicle's total cost. I wouldn't pay that and I'm sure most other consumers wouldn't either.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VW had a promo for a free bike with the purchase of a car. That we've not seen it again says a lot about its effectiveness as a tool for selling vehicles.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was the Jetta Trek a while back.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they already do...

in europe, on the opel corsa and opel antara (opel version of saturn vue

http://www.autoblog.com/tag/bike%20rack/

http://www.autospectator.com/u ploads/Opel/2007/Corsa/Opel_Co rsa_bike.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/mot oring/graphics/2006/09/02/mfco rsa3.jpg

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 16, 2008)

Craig

Post Number: 797
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But not here (at least not that I've heard lately; local regional plays are not always evident to guys in Detroit, though).

My point is that bikes in the US tanked. Auto OEMs & dealers are always looking for the can't-miss sales gimmick/incentive. Other than cash on the hood they all have a shelf-life, which is why Chrysler's $2.99 gas deal will soon fade away.

Not saying that a combination of motoring & biking is a bad thing for an individual consumer, but as a marketing tool it ranks up there with Ollie Fretter's "five pounds of coffee..."

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not saying that a combination of motoring & biking is a bad thing for an individual consumer, but as a marketing tool it ranks up there with Ollie Fretter's "five pounds of coffee..."

Which of course explains why so many automakers include bikes on their auto show displays, in their commercials, and in their dealerships -- and why some car companies make/brand bikes (e.g. Jeep, Mercedes Benz, Porsche).

At the time, VW/Trek marketing program was extremely successful for both companies. I saw a presentation by the woman who created and managed the program which proved its success. The main difficulty with the program was keeping the independent Trek dealers happy since this cut into their sales.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An important consideration for every car we have bought in the last thirty years is: Where do the bikes go? Hitch rack, roof rack, inside, combination?

Craig

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many auto brands & even some nameplates have branded merchandise. From my insider's perspective none of the bikes have been big sellers. Further, Crystal is the exception (buy based upon bike carrying capacity).

When you see bikes in a auto display you are observing an example of lifestyle marketing, i.e. reference actual and aspirational behavior as a means to establish cognitive and emotional bonds with a utilitarian product. Put otherwise: you're being played. A common & familiar example of this is the rugged and outdoorsy imagery draped around SUV marketing. Most of those don't go off road, but the aforementioned imagery connects with consumers' aspirations for independence, capability, reliability, etc. This is psych 201.

Enjoy your bikes, but understand that today the vast majority of drivers do not truly want a bike or a rack. Free Sirius/XM radio is a bigger draw for customers.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Craig.

Salespeople have always looked askance when we bring bike measurements, check out the hitch capacity, and see if our current bike rack will fit on the roof.

We also check out the seating configuration to see whether they can be removed or folded down to accommodate dogs, including one elderly, arthritic dog.

I'll bet salespeople see customers for whom many different things are priorities.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll bet salespeople see customers for whom many different things are priorities.

my dad, a civil engineer dealing in watersheds, always brought his post hole digger to the dealership to see if it fit in the trunk

funny now that i finally look at the link in the original post and realize i was referencing the same thing in my previous post, helps to read i suppose

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.