Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Metro-Detroit Suburbs on the decline. » Archive through May 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7354
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2008 Factual population data sources from SEMCOG states the following Metro-Detroit suburbs; once growing now on the brink on decline:

MACOMB COUNTY:

1. Clinton TWP.95,648 to 95,420, -228 people gave up and left, a -0.2% loss

OAKLAND COUNTY:

1. Pontiac, 67,506 to 67,418, -88 people gave up and left, a -0.1% loss

2. Southfield, 78,322 to 76,365, -1,957 people gave up and left, a -2.5% loss

3. Troy, 80,959 to 80,702 -257 people gave up and left, a -0.3% loss.

What cause the once booming suburban cities to be the decline? Loss the jobs in the automotive industry that cause a sudden domino effect on its suppliers causing people to move out to other cities or states to seek new better booming jobs.

A sudden domino effect on the retail markets causing them to move out to other cities and states to seek better booming jobs.

The race of people moving into mostly white communities cause few white middle class families to move on to better safer neighborhoods. More housing foreclosures from once middle class families.

There are other Metro-Detroit cities that are still suffering a sudden population losses:

MACOMB COUNTY:

Center Line

Grosse Pte Shores (Pt)

Eastpointe

Fraser

Memphis (Part)

Mount Clemens

Romeo

St. Clair Shores

Warren

MONROE COUNTY:

Carleton

Erie Twp

Estral Beach

Ida Twp

LaSalle Twp

Luna Pier

Milan Twp

Monroe

Petersburg

OAKLAND COUNTY:

Berkley

Beverly Hills

Bingham Farms

Bloomfield Hills

Bloomfield Twp

Clawson

Farmington

Farmington Hills

Ferndale

Holly

Huntington Woods

Lake Angelus

Lake Orion

Lathrup Village

Leonard

Madison Heights

Milford

Northville (Part)

Pleasant Ridge

Rochester Hills

Rose Twp

Royal Oak

Royal Oak Twp

Sylvan Lake

Waterford Twp

Wolverine Lake

ST. CLAIR COUNTY:

Algonac

Casco Twp

Clay Twp

Clyde Twp

Emmett

Marine City

Port Huron

WASHTENAW COUNTY:

Barton Hills

Ypsilanti

WAYNE COUNTY:

Allen Park

Belleville

Dearborn Heights

Ecorse

Garden City

Grosse Ile Twp

Grosse Pointe

Grosse Pte Farms

Grosse Pte Park

Grosse Pte Shores (Pt)

Grosse Pte Woods

Harper Woods

Inkster

Lincoln Park

Livonia

Northville (Part)

Plymouth Twp

Redford Twp

Riverview

Rockwood

Southgate

Taylor

Trenton

Wayne

Westland

Wyandotte

Reasons for these population decline? Loss of the automotive industry, growing number of blacks and ethnic race moving to those areas and retail market suddenly disappearing and foreclosures and bad housing market.

Will there be relief to those trend?

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of those cities listed above have been losing population for more than a decade. Danny's questions are still valid, and the physical decline of some suburbs is increasingly noticeable. But in many cases, the population loss is not "sudden."

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, what about gas prices as a factor?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy losing population, however small the percentage, is pretty interesting. Considering the way metro Detroit is structured, Troy is probably somewhat of a bellwether.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12879
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People don't usually walk away from their homes due to gasoline prices...although undoubtedly some would rather be walking because of them.

This is fallout from the falsely-created mortgage 'crisis', this is all land that will end up in the control of the Central Bank that Andrew Jackson warned us about a century and a half ago.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oak park isnt declining interesting. Im sure population loss also would be somewhat attributed to foreclosures. I wonder where all these people are going I only assume they are renting houses. But there are less houses and im sure less rentals. Is the rental market price going up?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to short sale my home in Rochester Hills because I'm laid off and am struggling to make the mortgage payments. My house goes up for sale next week. Any one here want to buy it? I paid $328,000 for it (new construction), you can get it for $250,000 or less.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real reasons? People are having fewer children and getting married later. That's why Royal Oak's population has been dropping for years. We have a lot of single-owner homes that used to house entire families.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn sorry to hear about your lay off spacemonkey. Wish i wasnt working class id love to get a house for that price.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good point Fishtoes.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you don't think gas prices are a factor?

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are these people moving? Back to Detroit, further out into the suburbs, or away from the area?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The real reasons? People are having fewer children and getting married later....

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

FT2K obviously understands the science of demographics.

In addition, migration into our region is exceeded by the out migration of unemployed job seekers, recently-retired auto workers and the recently-graduated students from our colleges.

Unlike the restructuring in the automotive sector, the credit crunch, foreclosure "crisis", gasoline prices, etc. have nothing to do with the population decline, they are symptoms of imbalances in the financial and commodity markets.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question: where IS everyone moving? Where are they all going?

(Soylent green is people)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't all move; some die.

In general this phenomenon has two sources: family size is shrinking (true throughout the US) and our region is in an economic funk so we don't have growth in general to make up for the smaller families.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. The whole reason the population of the suburbs is stagnant is because people are having less kids. That's all. You may now return to obediently watching your evening news. :-)

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what is going to happen well all the baby boomers finally kick it? There will be tons of houses to be had.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now this isn't and never a bad thing, but I have noticed more black people in Royal Oak. It's really interesting because five years ago I can't remember any in the neighbourhood or downtown, and now I see black people everywhere I look! Maybe this is the rise of a black middle class in Royal Oak...

Bsu
Username: Bsu

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know me and my fiance just moved to Berkley from Shelby Twp for a number of reasons. We of course received an awsome deal. We love the neighborhood and proximity to Royal Oak, Woodward, and Downtown Detroit. We like the that there is a big push to bring mass transit up Woodward, because we spend a lot of time downtown. We have family that live in Corktown and our church is Old St. Mary's in Greektown. Not to mention all the DIA, Eastern Market, the Bars, Restaurants... We also love the fact we can walk to get what ever we want.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone really drawing any conclusions about a 3/10ths of one percent population loss in Troy?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6674
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a link Danny?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it always have to be doom and gloom around here? I swear some of you feed off the negativity, just waiting for the next hard luck story on how the region we so hate is in constant decline.

I grew up in Livonia, and most of my childhood friends' parents STILL live in the same homes they raised their children in. That's not population decline due to economic conditions - that's people who LIKE where they live, that stay put once their children move out.

Or, for example my girlfriend and I who live in a house that was previously occupied by a family, who moved into a larger home outside of Livonia.

If we're going to have a pity party, let's at least make it official and meet up for drinks.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Wazooty. It couldn't be that things in the region actually ARE bad and that we're facing the music. Nope. It's all just negativity. Everything's fine. Nothing to see here. Let's start endless "happy talk" threads where we just focus on the positive. Much better ... :P

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6821
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title to this thread should be "More Empty Nesters Cause Suburban Population to Decline".

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you guys realize these are just estimates, and might as well be guesses on the local level. All they do is estimate the birth/death/migration/immigrat ion rate of the county as a whole and dole the estimates out to each subcounty division based on housing construction. They even *assume* that cities with older houses will automatically see a decline in their housing stock which in turn lowers the population estimates even further.

The idea is that unless a city is building tons of new housing the estimate will always go down. Troy, Clinton TWP, etc. aren't building as many houses as before, thanks in large part to the fact that nobody is going to buy them.

The reality is that the census has no real way of determining Troy's population so accurately. A decline of 0.3% is absolutely within the "margin of error". They estimate that Troy has lost 257 people, but for all they know the city has gained 257 people.

Now, for Danny and all the other people who should probably just kill themselves for being so depressed, these estimates add fuel to their fire. But the truth is that we won't know anything until 2010.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6678
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a post by Danny with no source.. That's all I'm saying.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11742
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Danny's communities are on. It is just pulled from SEMCOG - I have done the same in the past.

Buuuut, these are based upon SEMCOGs estimates so the data is truly from SEMCOG but SEMCOG is supplying nothing more than an estimate based upon certain criteria. Here is the link:

http://library.semcog.org/Inma gicGenie/DocumentFolder/Popula tionHouseholds_2006.pdf

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like we all need to start making more babies. I'll do my part!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is fallout from the falsely-created mortgage 'crisis', this is all land that will end up in the control of the Central Bank that Andrew Jackson warned us about a century and a half ago.

He also warned that we need to exterminate/remove the Cherokee Nation. Was he right about that, too?

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a house in Bloomfield Hills(Mothers)... St Hugo area Needs work but a great lot and house .. Leave me a message..