Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » St John Hospital's white fence « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know why a 6' high white vinyl fence has been put up at St John Hospital along Moross? The fence doesn't look right at all with the building. Is something going on behind the fence?
I hope it's temporary because it just looks awful.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they're definitely dong something, because I've noticed they've closed the South (main) entrance to the hospital and moved it to the North entrance.

I don't think it's temporary and it's makes the statement their Detroit location will remain their regional medical center. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 17, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6839
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the south (Main Entrance) is open! I was just in there last week.

The west entrance (where the white fence is) is currently closed and under construction. This area used to be the main entrance (where the gift shop and reception desk were) because it was close to the parking structure.

That temporary white fence around the front of the west wing of the hospital was put up in lieu of an unsightly temporary cyclone fence while construction takes place.

It appears that with the addition of the new $180 million Van Elslander Pavilion on the north side of the hospital, there are now 2 "main" entrances. The former main entrance in front of the tower has now been recommissioned as the main hospital entrance (especially for folks parking in the parking structure along Moross).

And an entrance in the VanElslander Pavilion on the hospitals north side has been added to handle the folks parking in the nearby flat parking lot.

The hospital reception desk and gift shop have been relocated to be under the hospital tower... sort of half way between the new south and north entrances.

There is still an open east entrance in the attached St. Clair Building (east wing of the hospital).

But the west wing now only has the emergency entrance, and no longer a regular hospital entrance (this may be temporary while that side of the building is under construction). Only authorized personnel can get from the emergency room entrance to the hospital proper.

(Message edited by Gistok on May 17, 2008)

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow glad to hear that fence is temporary. It would be quite an eyesore if permanent. Thanks for the info Gistok.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old main entrance, where the white fencing (nice temporary fence, for three months) is located will no longer be an entrance. This area is going to be the new ER adminstration area as well as part of the redesigned er department. The old gift shop is now the new ER pharmacy. With the gift shop relocating in the main corridor. The main entrance is considered at the Van Elslander Pavilion.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a rumor and that's probably what it is, that St johns is moving. They are way in the red due to all the peeps with no insurance. Moving to the burbs.

Gistok

Post Number: 6853
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, ain't gonna happen. They wouldn't have spent 180 million on a new 7 story addition if that were the case.

But what is true is this... they are making most of their rooms singles, and not doubles. Reason: Grosse Pointers don't want to share a room with indigent care.

With St. John buying up other suburban hospitals, they're making lots of money in the suburbs to help offset the indigent care at their main campus.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sstashmoo----Yes, it is but a rumor, and an unfounded one at that. I side with Gistok on this one.
The former White Star SS Company passenger vessel Tashmooo will sail down Moross to Tashmoo Park before St. John Hospital vacates Moross and docks in the burbs.

Gistok

Post Number: 6857
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, are you going to the forum picnic this Sunday? (See CONNECT) You're one of the forumers that I haven't met that I'd like to meet some time... you've probably got a lot of great "old Detroit" anecdotes...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it has anything to do with Grosse Pointers not wanting to "share a room with indigent care." People, IN GENERAL, like privacy when they're admitted into hospitals, for a variety of reasons. It's easier to sleep, you don't have to deal with a roomate's sickness or visitors, and you don't have to consider others when it comes to your situation.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Gistok, I will not be in attendance at the Forum picnic, as we will be over in South Lyon. I have not hung in very well at these get-togethers, other than when jjaba is in town and then I go to a Forum-function to keep him on the straight and narrow. (Not easy to do). We both like boring folks to death with Detroit stories of old.
I, too, would like to meet you and several of the other Forumers who make this such an interesting site to visit. I will make a picnic sometime, and will bring a Fleischmann 220 volt model train transformer along so you can translate the directions from German to English for me. Thanks for asking and kind regards to you all. Have a safe and enjoyable picnic.
And I do not care if the person sharing the hospital room with me at St. John is indigent or not. Just as long as she does not snore.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.