Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Eastern Market Shed is Restored « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Eastern Market Shed

We visited the Detroit Eastern Market on Flower day (Saturday) to see the newly restored shed. It looks great. Plenty of wide open space, with a new cement floor - and they took out the "grease shack" that was in the center.

Some video too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffwiden/2501851996/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffwiden/2501021371/

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4825
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and a shiny new roof...

Eastern Market Detroit

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work, nice slow and steady pans. The mark of a pro.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 859
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SWEET! I didn't know they were done yet! Are they going to close another shed for a while to begin the next spat of renovations?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 439
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those look great!

Thanks

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flower day was Sunday not Saturday--next time come on Sunday.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn: I think they have plans to fix all of the sheds. It looks like it will take a little time, and I hope the money is there to complete the job.

Saturday was a beautiful day for Flower Day, I wish the crowds were like that every Saturday...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and again, *sunday* was flower day :-) , not that there weren't flowers on saturday as well. (or every saturday for the rest of the spring)

i like the newely refurbed shed 2 a lot, great job! its amazing how much more spacious it seems under there without the crappy food stand in the middle

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flower day, the farmers jack up the price on the flowers. i usually go the weekend before or after.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the prices were a little higher on Saturday's Flower Day, but it is understandable - there's more people down for Flower Day and so the Farmer's can charge what the market can bear.

Pgn421: You're right, it's better probably to go down on a different Saturday to get a lower price.

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

renovation to sheds 3, 4 and 5 will begin soon.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really digging the signage on the roof.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if there will be any flower vendors at Eastern Market tomorrow? Are any of the restaurants open in the Market on Sunday?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 770
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone know if there will be any flower vendors at Eastern Market tomorrow? Are any of the restaurants open in the Market on Sunday?"

I think the only Sunday the market is open is the actual "Flower Day", which was last week. Closed all other Sundays.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to go to the market on Monday. Does anybody know if the market will be open on Memorial Day?

(Message edited by silverbeauty on May 25, 2008)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the market and go most Saturdays. I worked for a dairy distributor down there for a few years. I left a "good" job with benefits etc to work as a bookkeeper. I am so glad I did. The mystic of the market was always a draw to me. The company I worked for had bankers hours. 5:00 Am to 1:30PM. Most distributors open at 1:00Am. The jobbers are wild and crazy. To experience the market is to see real life. Food is essential to all of us. There are three shifts of bums in the market too. The most dangerous crimes against property are there from 11:00PM to about 4:00 AM. Very few violent crimes however since everyone in the market is armed. Sometimes it felt like the wild west. Vast amounts of money change hands there every week but people think it is alive only on Saturdays and flower day Sunday. I am grateful to have experienced the essence of this valuable business district.

At one time I considered writing stories of the market but alas I got lazy.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention that I am now a jobber too. A jobber buys wholesale and resells to various markets. I buy herbs and other plants to resell at a local market. I make a little profit but mostly just enjoy my conversation with clients. I could talk plants and gardens and garden tips for hours on end. As a professional gardener, I have developed a personal relationship with many growers in the market. Such great plants, shrubs and trees at bargain prices. I am still amazed that so many metro Detroiters have never gome to the market.

Saplej
Username: Saplej

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoever spent the money for the LARGE Shed 2 sign on the top, I feel spent money foolishly... Part of the charm of the market is knowing your way around and learning the terminology and layout..

Can they spend the money educating people on how to walk through the market with a wagon or stroller

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the last thing we want to do is make it easier for visitors to find their way around.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for carting my fruit and veggie purchases around, I stick a laundry basket (light & flexible) atop a folding 2-wheeled "box carrier" and bungee it in place. It's very manueverable, lightweight, and at the car, I fold down the handle and shove the whole thing into the trunk.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOX2 referred to "Governor Granholms shed thing renovation" in a report recently.

They dont even seem to know what Eastern Market is.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.