Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone live around this? » Archive through May 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have nailed it down to one house and if the forum says this isn't a bad neighborhood, we'll make a trip up there to look at the place.

It's address is 8451 LaSalle Blvd. The listing says it is north of Grand Blvd, east of Livernois.

Does anyone live near this neighborhood or know anything about it? Our need for knowledge includes neighborhood appearance, crime in the neighborhood and are there many vacant homes. All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The police crime tracking map shows a few stolen cars which we don't think will be a problem since we drive 19 year old cars but I don't know if you can trust that.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move downtown. You can live like kings for CHEAP.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gunshots galore over there.

Buy a vest or continue your search.

close one.

Rid0617

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a shame cause this home would cost over $300,000 down here. Wife fell in love with it.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't call it a terrible area, but I could think of a dozen places I would look to spend my money first.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh-uh...no way! Keep looking and don't rush into anything without running it past the group. Lots of gunshots is enough to send up a red flag.

Rid0617

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Grumpyoldlady. These folks have been very friendly, honest and informative. Even if I don't move up there I have met some quality friends. My wife has decided while I look at Detroit she'd look at Flint. They seem to have a bunch of abandoned homes there also. I was just leaning more on home in the D

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd steer away from Flint if I were you all of Detroit's problems and none of its solutions.

That area is LaSalle Park which isn't bad its just surrounded by shit. Nice houses owned mostly by old folk at least before the foreclosures hit. West of Linwood is pretty hood, South of Grand Blvd is the same, and to the east is Boston Edison and it gets pretty iffy around there. I'd check it out at night, thats when all the fun happens, so you can see if it is for you. By generally all of the 48206 zipcode is like this very hit or miss.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5071
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no.

Rid0617

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor that don't sound good because the wife would have to drive out of the area in order to go to work. Really sounding like back to the drawing board. I'm really finding this is such a dam (excuse please) shame. Detroit could resolve a lot of problems if there were neighborhoods people like me could move into and bring dollars into the city. I realize I wouldn't bring a lot but it would be more property tax and dollars spent in local merchants. I realize I wouldn't blend in with the neighborhood since I'm slightly pale and old but there are lots of us who would be proud to call Detroit home no matter who the majority is.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont fret there are neighborhoods, quite a bit of them, that are worthy of residents. You have to realize that the ones that have the houses in the price range you are looking for aren't the best neighborhoods. If you are willing to spend more then there are good places to go. You just have to know where to look. I'd suggest the 48235 zip code.

(Message edited by Mayor_sekou on May 16, 2008)

Rid0617

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you sir/mam since I don't know. Our range is in the 0 to $12,000 range. That's where we can pay cash courtesy of a workmans comp case and obtain our paid for home desire. That allows us money to make the move and minor repairs. Just may have to take on a small mortgage after all. That house on LaSalle looked like a mansion a doctor would live in down here and pay $300,000 minimum for. When we saw $12,000 I was ready to rent a car and look at it. I do thank you folks. Every time I get all fired and ready to go you straight talk me. I hope if we move up there we get to meet every one of you.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto with Barnes - no.

Detroit/res seem to have extreme desensitation syndrome. It's not normal.

Don't go to Flint, either. Sounds horrible.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its Sir. With 12k you can do some damage its just you got to know where to look, coming here and asking will help with that. But again try 48235.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thonk Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick lived at 7545 LaSalle

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts as someone whose family has lived in the area for 80 years and still continues to live at Lothrop and Lasalle.
The area is somewhat spotty but much better than the other side of linwood. If it weren't for the riots this neighborhood would be great but unfotunately the riots desimated the main roads around there and they have never recovered.
All and all in the past 15 years my 89 year old grandmother who still lives there has not had her houses broken into nor has she had her car broken into or stolen. I lived on lothrop for a few years myself and I would take the dog for a walk up la salle to BE and back and never had a problem.
If you did decide to move there Just be smart, Alarms, Doors locked andget your gas either in midtown or corktown.
Hope you find a place.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Keep looking and don't rush into anything without running it past the group."

Thinking for yourself might be worth a shot.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4803
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all depends on the neighbors living in the houses immediately surrounding yours -- true no matter where you live. If they are good and caring you will be comfortable and secure. There is a good chance that could be the case there. Anyone with the where-with-all to live in one of those big lovely houses and pay the bills is quite like to have have things together and share a mutual interest in being a good neighbor. If you are serious I would advise cold-calling the next door neighbors and asking them for their take.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dunno rid; i'd take southofeight's advice. that area is just south of palmer park, sherwood forest, and just east of the university of detroit. it seems to me that there are very nice pockets in that area. however, it's close to a not so nice area of highland park. my impression is that it's very hit or miss and quite in flux. go there at different times of the week and different times of the day to get a feel for it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

qqw

8451 La Salle Blvd
Detroit, MI 48206
$ 12,000
5 Bedrooms, 1 Full Bath, 0 Half Baths

Year Built: 1922
Style: Colonial
Subdivision: Lasalle Blvd Sub (plats)
County: Wayne

Approx. Square Footage: 2,500
Garage Description: 2 Car, Detached

School District: Detroit

Taxes: $2,332
Mortgage Calculation

Living Room: 18x16
Kitchen: 12x14
Master Bedroom 1: 14x13 - Upper level
Bedroom 2: 14x12
Bedroom 3: 11x10
Bedroom 4: 10x10
Basement: Unfinished
Heating: Forced Air

Lot Dimensions: 47x117
Fireplace Description: Living Room
Exterior Materials: Brick

Foreclosure: Yes

Listing Courtesy of: RE/MAX METROPOLITAN, INC
Office Address: 8300 Hall Road Suite 100
Listing Number: 28073447

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please don't take this as anything other than a stranger posting on a Internet forum. In other words, look into what I'm about to say for yourself.

It has been brought up on these boards time and again that the areas most likely to improve are all within the Grand Boulevard loop. There are some strong ones outside of this area too. But, they are more risky and run down. I would kind of keep that all in the back of my mind. Try to learn a little about proposed projects, and look for areas with potential that entrepreneurs are currently being forced to drive through (main roads and such).

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a house like that is 12K use some common sense and just imagine the shape it and the neighborhood is in.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For that kind of price, maybe you can afford to have it moved somewhere? Spend 50 grand, have it put on a truck and moved to vacant land.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean no disrespect to the good people who live in that area, but, Rid0617? I have to say Thumbs Down. The house, itself, might be a jewel; I'm with Spacemonkey-- could you buy it and take it with you?

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That house is beautiful! You should definitely buy it!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about the La Salle Boulevard Historic District is that it is basically comprised of one street (La Salle) that runs at least a mile from West Grand Boulevard to Durfee Middle School just north of the Boston-Edison Historic District. It is lined with magnificent houses built in the 1910's and 1920's.

The neighborhoods surrounding La Salle were extremely well built single-family and 2-family houses. However, they are not in great condition. There is a lot of decay, which means there is some (and maybe a lot) of crime in these neighborhoods. However, the houses along La Salle for the most part are well-cared for and are occupied, and there are no vacant lots. And yes your wife might have to drive through Linwood Avenue to get to work, which is the saddest, most decayed commercial street in town.

I am elated that although its probably not advisable to move to Detroit, you are still considering it. I wish there were more people like you that would consider moving here, even though it has so many faults. If we had more people willing to give the city a chance and move here, all of those deterrents - high crime, bad schools, high taxes - would slowly disappear.

I say - GO FOR IT

If safety is a concern, here are 2 houses in other safer 'hoods you might be interested in. These are not as grand as the La Salle house

This house is in the Aviation Subdivision bordering Dearborn
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e27194752

This house is in Old Redford
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28061888

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some nice houses on LaSalle, we looked at one at the corner of LaSalle and Euclid. It was a gorgeous home but I was not impressed with the area. The air conditioner was missing and some of the houses on Euclid were just . . . they were awful. And if I remember correctly some of the sidewalks were busted up. The houses around Franklin Park were nice, but I'd much rather be in Boston-Edison. However I guess nothing will change if new people who care never move in.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say rent a car, look at it and judge for yourself.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617,
Fear keeps most of us from doing truly remarkable things. Spreading fear keeps others at our dismal level. If you did this, you would live like a king for dirt cheap. Don't loose sight of your brilliant plan because people 'claim' that they here gunshots. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard some O.C. resident say they heard gunshots in Detroit, I'd be rich. I've yet to hear one and I've lived in the city for 2 years. Can't say the same for when I live in Chicago. If you're serious take a trip up and I bet you can find a suitable place.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you live in Detroit in relation to where this house is listed? My guess is that you live close to downtown.