Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » St. Hedgewick Parish « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checked out a spacious two bedroom apartment that was listed on Craigslist almost one month ago. Konkel at Longwood.Several blocks east of Junction. Met several amicable neighbors. House across the street one door over had barbed wire on top of her fence because of a past problem with petty thievery i.e. dumpsters etc. Told me the building I would move into hasnt had any problems. The landlord was a nice guy from Wyandotte whom seemed anxious to rent the place, and wanted me to come back with a $100 deposit to hold the place as he has a showing tomorrow. I noticed a dip in the kitchen floor and a bit of a musty smell. The bath and kitchen have been remodeled. The apartment is a hop skip and jump from 75 North which would get me to work in about 20 to 25 minutes. My recently raised rent would drop from $600 per month if I sign the lease or $625 month to month to $425. Two of my prospective neighbors have been there 50 and 30 years respectively. Guy across the street two doors down shares a recently purchased home with his brother and is renovating. Southwest Detroit, from information I have received, has the most population growth and increase in property value.

Any advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St.Hedwigs, Not a place for you if you are weak.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive by the place at around l0p.m. on the weekend, park and get out of the car and see what it's like-in other words, imitate the reality of what it would be like to live there.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for the Parks and Recreation Dept. back in 1969 over there and it was a rough area then.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we used to play baseball there

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.