Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Local Graffiti Artwork « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres a few stills I took recently with my new recorder. Always looking for advice. Im new to uploading pics.

local graff

Eastern Mrket I believe

Eastrn Mkt

Estrn Mkt

Django

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres some more. The Buddah above is mine.

snowbank at chene

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only in an environment like Detroit can this primitive scrawl be considered "art". Following this example will not be tolerated in Suburbia. Just try replicating the Heidelburg Project by nailing old tires and potato chip bags on any of the buildings on the grounds of Cranbrook. I might look favorably on such a graffiti display if someone would paint something with a nice pair of tits.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the stylized lettering on the third and fourth photos but the rest do nothing for me.

(Message edited by dannyv on May 20, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the beauty of Detroit. Its a complicated dichotomy. As far as "scrall" where did you study fine arts???
I dont want a Heidelburg Project out there. that would take away from the unique qualities of Detroits artist.. They can stick with the classical stuff out there. I wish them luck, while Detroit doesnt go MOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We start our own shit, ignore ppl with worries about what the neighbor might think, and we go for it.
And I dont remember Tyree nailing any chip bags or tires to trees. Hes more into old shoes, and dots. The old ladies painting the old mill pond should take a lesson from Tyree.

For the record, I will say again, I respect buildings that are occupied and have often bitched out artists for taggin occupied buildings. Vacant, open buildings, Thats where I love seeing it. I give them my support. Their Artwork is better and more interesting than a burned out shell with no windows.

Django

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny V.
I hear you about the lettering on the 4th and 5th pics. The rest were more or less my snaps of interesting "Scrall" I thought it was a nice collection of stuff, layers of old and new. A collage if you will.
The "poser is my roommate snowbank, please dont call him poser, its a bit of an insult. Look it up in the urban dictionary if you didnt know. No biggie though.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, in no way can graffiti be considered art unless it's on one's own property. Otherwise, it's just vandalism and property damage.

Django

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK

I say its art, Have you checked out the house on St Aubin just south of Canfield. Perfect example of a derelict house that will be torn down eventually but for the time being is serving as a perfectly good canvas.

(Message edited by django on May 20, 2008)

Dannyv

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the poser thingy.

When I was in LA in '80, many of the photos I took were of the graffiti lettering and messages like KILL HIPPIES and PACHUCO #1. The lettering seemed to throw back to Mayan pictographs, squarish in shape. The bloated lettering seems to be fairly common but I still enjoy it.

Django

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv
Post em, Id love to see them. Do you have any from SF in the 90s? I remember one dude there, think his tag was "TWIST" I think. He was pretty popular. I might have him mixed up though. I think hes doing quite well AS AN ARTIST jim and sludge.
Its all good in the hood.

Lets see the work in the 80s from LA.

Django

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote by sludgedaddy.
"I might look favorably on such a graffiti display if someone would paint something with a nice pair of tits"

Nuff said.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a portable sandblaster in the garage that'd fix that right up for ya..

Django

Post Number: 463
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want to go sandblast derelict houses and buildings with your sandblaster, Im just gonna look at you funny as I ride by, But you have at it. Good luck.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've learned something here I wish I hadn't.

Django

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, Did I miss the joke? what???

Gnome

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by gnome on May 20, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome.
I was thinking thats what you might have thought. I dont know you that well but I understand. I dont know Bansky, and I dont do much spraying. Im not going to tell you Ive never done it but its not my thing really. I do enjoy it though, I mean I enjoy the artwork, not creating it, Im more of a photographer and sculptor. Like I tried to convey earlier. Id rather see some creativity on some burned out buildings than just a burned out building. People who can create something, say a kid with not much visible hope, trying his hand at an airbrush, or a can of spraypaint, Im down with that. I dont want any public building sprayed, I dont want any occupied building, or any building thats being taken care of sprayed. But theres so much blight, I love the color. I understand the sterotype ppl feel when they think of graffiti art, I just dont see it that way. I actually had no idea there was so much opposition to this kind of work. There is a place and time for most everything. Gnome, do you not think Tyrees work in the Heidelburg project is not beautiful. If you dont thats fine, but then I will wish that I didnt know that about you. You know what I mean.
I have a feeling you like Tyrees work. Where do you draw the line. I think its a matter of setting up boundries for the youth in the city, where is a proper place to express yourself and where it is not. Ive bitched out taggers for spraying obviously occupied buildings. Like I pointed out earlier, Have you seen the house on St Aubin just south of Canfield. Its a perfect example of what Im talking about.

I want more kids creating things, The prob is they havnt been given boundries. No, I will not say that spraying a shell of a house is wrong, I dont think it hurts our city, it makes it unique in a way, I definately dont think its ugly. Whats ugly is when a store owner has to whitewash his building because someone didnt tell the tagger whats right and whats wrong to spray.

I have a feeling I may develop carpol tunnel syndrome with this thread. I would actually rather argue the drug war and all its failings but Im an artist not a politician.

Please excuse all my bad grammar, Its late, I gotta go to bed. Ill sure be taking some shit for this one tomorrow.

I am probably guilty of showing photos of Graffiti on a building or two that should not have been tagged. Usually I just see something I like and Ill photograph it.

Like it says on my chest "NO ONE IS INNOCENT"

Gnome

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while this is all highly entertaining, it should be pointed out that tyree guyton did work his magic on cranbrook's campus in 1996 during the "cranbrook auto show" exhibit.

Django

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats up Gnome, I was contemplating my response and you removed your post. Am I in for an even more difficult retort??

Im not wearin orange robes and askin for alms. Maybe Im not by the book, comparing me to, ... well you removed your post so Ill wait. I hope you understand where Im commin from though. Id just rather see a colorful burned out or sprayed wrecked house than just a burned or wrecked house.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd just rather see a colorful burned out or sprayed wrecked house than just a burned or wrecked house."

Now me, I'd rather see a crew of wannabe taggers in county orange overalls tearing down wrecked/burned houses.
:-)
For most folks, graffiti IS a sign of decay..having spent a lot of hours cleaning crap off of "canvas" that didn't belong to "artists" in the first place, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the cause.

Just between us chickens, I thought Heidelberg was/is interesting, but if it had been in my neighborhood, it wouldn't have gotten beyond the first pile of crap..er, "art."
Sorry..in my eyes, symmetrically arranged rubbish that is mildly pleasing to the eye is still rubbish.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone caught putting Graffiti on a building should be shot.

Django

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you clean spray off a dilapitaded or burned out house?? Who the hell payed you to do that here in Detroit?

No the Heidelberg would not work in most areas, thats fine, thats partly why I live here in the D.

What is a wannabe tagger?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

over and over same conversation on here. The problem with the graffiti in the D or should I say the "artists" is they dont step out of the same old "write your tag name in block letters" mentality." Look at grafitti and a world wide scale and you'll see some real quality artwork. Example os gemeos & banksy. Artists first, graffiti second who also happen to be addressing social and political concerns with their work.

Django

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BEAUTIFUL
Thank you. your in a whole other realm way above me.

I havent really recorded much. Just some stuff around the corner. I dont know who Banksy is. I just did a search but nothing came back. Maybe Ill try and google him.

Thanks for putting it in perspective much better than I can. I never really thought about it that much. I just know what I like. And yeah, I feel like this is going nowhere arguing with people who want to shoot other ppl.

Thanks again, Im done with this thread though, hope to see more of your collection.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, there's quite a bit on Banksy on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B anksy

His own website is pretty good, too:
http://www.banksy.co.uk/menu.h tml

His most well-known work is stenciled, but he's been known to do some performance art and lately he's been branching out into painting. Like, framed on a wall painting. Not graffiti.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets also not forget Barry McGee. As I said. I'd have a ton more respect if the local taggers attempted something a little different. Many of them are fully capable and quite good with a spray can. I'm just sick of seeing their names everywhere, gimme something exciting.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back around Mardi Gras, I went to a house party just north of 94, near Brush. It was a couple of CCS freshman who I'm friends with.

Apparently, at their previous party, they let a bunch of fellow students 'graffiti' the inside of their apartment. It looking effing ridiculous. Absolutely no creativity or skill. I know, they're young, but they're ART students. Beyond the obvious risk of letting others 'decorate' your apartment, it was just disappointing.

Sorry to go off-topic, but it was related...

(edited for clarity)

(Message edited by rocknrollscientist on May 20, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6771
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For thousands of years, artists have managed to express themselves without doing it on somebody else's property without permission. Yes, there is some interesting looking stuff out there, but the byproduct of it is some jackasses name half-assedly sprayed on your neighbors new fence.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

graffiti is a touchy subject for me...these folks are NO DOUBT talented but it does go to show that talent left undiscovered and developed turns into a nuisance.

just think of the art they would produce is they were able to go to school

take a look at justin bua's work...former graffiti artist

www.justinbua.com

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slum art. plant trees instead.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what they said! :-)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to start a counter-graffiti-culture that paints buildings nicely and replaces broken windows.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11798
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For thousands of years, artists have managed to express themselves without doing it on somebody else's property without permission. Yes, there is some interesting looking stuff out there, but the byproduct of it is some jackasses name half-assedly sprayed on your neighbors new fence.

I agree 100%. I love the style when it is on canvas but anyone caught tagging or spraypainting a building without the owners permission should be given 2000 hours community service cleaning up the neighborhoods they choose to tag.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Art is in the eye of the beholder. If the beholder happens to own the property, and does not consider it art, then it is not art, it is vandalism.

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't these Picasso's paint their own houses? Maybe the neighborhoods won't look so completely shitty.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11813
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe the neighborhoods won't look so completely shitty.

That is assuming that most of these shitheads are grafitting their own community. I have offered my services to tag the homes and cars of people that support graffitti, surprisingly nobody has taken me up on it or seems to believe it is art if it is on their property.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the light rail here in Charlotte the other night, which runs right next to a heavy rail line. There were 3 Mexican youths on there with me. A freight train was going by; they stood there for about 5 minutes admiring the graffiti on the cars.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django (or any other graffiti enthusiast), are these paintings intended as artwork or as message boards? What are these messages? Could you explain tagging? Is graffiti how gangs mark their territory? As someone who never understood graffiti, I sure would like to know what motivates someone to spend the little money they have on a can of paint to write an undecipherable message on someone else's property. Can someone explain?

Dannyv

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, You might like this site or already do.

http://woostercollective.com/

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To quote Mr."Art" Lysak of Hamtown's Mutants fame:"Somebody Farts, That's the Nature of Art".The Hamtramck area once had a fine example of reactionary graffiti art exemplifying good old Polish Humor.

Just south of Hamtown stood a bar which never became a reality called "Mother's". Some wit plastered "of Invention" under the Mother's logo. But the best was yet to come.

When the property was acquired by an Islamic group, a robed figure was painted on the front entrance. Someone with a stencil of Alfred E. Nueman placed Mr. What Me Worry's image within the robed figure's cowl creating Allah E. Nueman.

No, Mr. Django, I have no formal training in what you consider the fine arts. But, I believe the money you spent on your fine arts education would have been better spent amassing a good set of hand tools. As a "Pick and Shovel" man, art to me lies in a perfect course of bricks, an Art Deco skyscraper or a field of wheat sheaves hand harvested by the Amish.

Let Mother Nature and Father Time have their way with Detroit's ruins. Tagging and other scrawl is akin to a canine lifting it's leg to mark teritory.But, on the other hand, a nudie-cutie Rock-a-Billy She-devil would be an artistic improvement.

Dannyv

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at some of these images and see what can be done. It's not all visually assaulting as many folks view graffiti art.

http://albuscav.us/concretealc hemy/

Django

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said I was going to give up on this thread but I want ask any decent tagger out there if they want to do the side of my "Estate" Id be willing to take a look at some of your portfolio. Ive got a huge white wall on the side of my house thats been tagged with a simple piece but nothing worth mentioning. I cant pay anything but word of mouth. Id love to have something intricate that pops. Id kind of like the tag already up to be sprayed over.

Theres a big canvas here on the East side for someone willing who has the talent. ill have to cut down some brush so you can get to it easily and ppl can see it as they drive by.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not really how it works. You don't get to proof it first. It just happens sometime between midnight and sunrise, and BOOM, you wake up and there's a cock and balls on the side of your house.

ART!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something tells me that most of these "graffiti artists" don't own any property...

Respectfully,
REL (Still a lover of public art)

Django

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Okay, this is the absolute last time I defend myself in this argument, as I feel many ppl just scrolled down to the bottom of this thread to bitch about graffiti on the sides of their buildings.

AGAIN, I dont defend anyone spraypainting a building that isnt completely ravaged. You dont like that idea, Oh well. Like Ive said, Ive bitched out "graffiti Artists" for spraying property thats in use. Gimminy Crickets.

Still will take a look at some artists works, CALLING ALL "GRAFFITI ARTISTS" LOL.

Oh man, I got in over my head here, Ive never been a huge proponent of "graffiti artists" I just took some pics around town and will occasionally do something small inside the packard plant, although I do admit to tagging a Lightpole protector or two after theyre obviously falling apart, so I guess I am GUILTY.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

I think your paintings are beautiful. But unfortunately, most graffiti artists don't take into account who may own the building, or what the renovation status is. You don't know.

And if a buncha kids see work like yours and they want to mimic it, chances are they aren't going to be as careful as you are in selecting your canvases (not to mention the fact, even your canvases are not YOURS).

Also, when people see graffiti on a building, it screams "NO ONE CARES ABOUT THIS BUILDING. Hey, c'mon in!" and it's more likely to get even more vandalized, further decreasing chances of survival.

Looking forward to seeing you in Cub's garden!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the flip side, some over-zealous graffiti critics (who didn’t own the building in question) painted over an outdoor mural in the southwest. Oops!

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P 2-11594319.html

Art is subjective, and I wouldn’t want a tagger painting on my front door. But I have to admit, I prefer colors to cement gray.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.