Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » GM BUys the ren cen » Archive through May 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11663
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican - You are balming the woes of the auto industry and yourself on others. Maybe it is time that you and the domestics take responsibility for your situation as opposed to blaming others.

I guess it sounds more logical when you say it to other people.

What's my excuse for what? I'm not the one blaming others for the situation of the domestic autos.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see "domestic" defined. I'm pretty sure that a couple months ago the reports were saying that more cars were built in Ontario than Michigan...

Anyway, the Fed is trying to help you out by devaluing the dollar so your exports look more attractive. Too bad it's also making your gas prices shoot through the roof!

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, its brain dead proud Americans like BA that make people proud to drive a foreign car.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 586
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 and Rax...you are not worth arguing with. Keep giving away the store then talk to me in a year or two. If you're American then you want what's best for America...and foreign isn't the answer.
It's not just my problem, it's everyone's problem.

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The US companies are finally getting the drift.
I love the Ford I bought one year ago. It is as nice as it was when I brought it home. However, in years' past, Planned Obsolescence seemed to be the US Automaker's mantra. I bought a Chevy Cavalier for my daughter....sunk over 2k into the junker and still never felt safe with her driving it. Folks, trust is very hard to come by. My trust in GM products will never come back. Sorry. Once burned.....

Jt1

Post Number: 11666
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BA - It was a pretty easy question. What is my excuse for? I would really like to know since I am sure you are making incorrect assumptions.

You also seem to infer that anyone that disagrees with you is running out and buying foreign. Seems like yet another ridiculous assumption.

I guess you can just keep whining instead of taking responsibility for yourself.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6593
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rushbuzz, what Ford did you buy? Ford is making some good stuff these days. Also, a 2k car isn't necessarily going to be that trustworthy. Paying that much, you might get lucky, but you also might find yourself with a lot of wear parts needing replacing, like CV joints, ball joints, etc. since the mileage is usually up there. American, Japanese, German, whatever, eventually those things need to be replaced, and it always has a nasty habit of happening all in a short period.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jt1, I am still not quite sure what the hell you're talking about. I am an American and proud of it and practice what I preach whenever and whereever I can. I wouldn't have a foreign car in my garage. If you live in Detroit, or in Michigan for that matter, then your priority should be buying one of the Big 3, not foreign when you must purchase an automobile."

Define foreign, please. Is it a Ford Fusion (Mexico)? A Chrysler 300 (Canada)? A Chevrolet Aveo (Korea)? A Honda (Ohio)? A Mercedes (Alabama)? Or how about a BMW (Alabama)?

And please don't tell me the transplants import all the parts. I've been in the automotive supply chain long enough to know better. BTW, I wouldn't own anything except a Big3 product, but do you see my point? Foreign vs. Domestic is a gray area.

Just thought of another funny one...The Chevrolet Equnox and Pontiac Torrent: Built in Canada in a Suzuki plant that formerly made Geo's. The drive trains are all imported from China. Yet, GM advertises these as "An American Revolution!" They must think we're stupid.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA"

Why is that comma there?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

johnlodge -

i believe she means that she put an extra 2k into the car to keep it going.

At least thats how I interpreted it.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5385
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hank the Deuce never could have imagined this happen. The RenCen was built as a monument to himself. Hell, he even asked GM to fork over a few mil back in the 70's to help build it.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you live in Detroit, or in Michigan for that matter, then your priority should be buying one of the Big 3, not foreign when you must purchase an automobile."

I wonder how our neighbors one state away, in Ohio, feel about people buying Hondas.
Im sure a few of them would feel threatned by BA's demands we all buy from the big 3. That would mean taking buisness from other workers in the same region of the country.
We call this one of 2 things:"bias", or "flawed logic". Pick your favorite.

Personally, I dont care where the headquarters are. I just want to see Americans working. I'm cool with the Japanese companies coming in here. They deliver a product MANY consumers want and employ our citizens to build them on our soil. Would you rather see these folks in Alabama building a Benz or waiting in the unemployment line? The global economy is now becoming good for Americas local economies.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln, check out the graphs JohnLodge had posted.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 587
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.levelfieldinstitute .org/files/fact_sheet.pdf

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the RenCen really accomplish what Ford & Co wanted it to? If it were cool looking like the Fisher Building-but frankly the architecture screams 70's more than a John Travolta ice cream suit Since Portman just redid the same thing he previously sold Atlanta with their Peachtree Plaza & out here with the Westin Bonaventure, just gave it a dose of steroids, I gotta go "meh"(his Embarcadero Center's pretty ugly-ass, too)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when don't we want architecture to scream about the era in which it is built? Different periods in time have different styles. Therefore one can point to the Ren Cen and say, "That is a prime example of post modern architecture." I'm not saying it's beautiful, but it is what it is. I will say it is nearly the epitome of post modernism, and while that might not be your style, it serves its purpose.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6801
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, I wouldn't call the 1973 designed RenCen "Post Modern" architecture (it was designed about a decade before Post Modern came into vogue).

I always thought that Post Modern was basically started by Philip Johnson and John Burgee in the early 1980's with their much talked about AT&T "Chippendale Highboy" headquarters in New York City.

Post Modern has features that relate to older architectural styles. The RenCen has nothing that I would equate with an older style.

The German Gothic topped Comerica Tower is Detroit's major Post Modern design.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marysville, Oh (where Hondas are built:
1990 population-10.362
2003 population-16,245

Doesn't appear the japanese auto company has had a negative effect on that particular town.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inside of the Ren Cen is designed like a mouse maze. I went to a meeting there one time and got lost for a week.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM and Suzuki co-own the CAMI facility in Ingersoll, Ontario that builds the Torrent and Equinox--so it's not a Suzuki plant per se and never was. In the past it has built the Geo Metro, Geo Tracker, the equivilent Suzuki products and still builds the Suzuki XL7 or whatever it's called (no ones buys it)...regardless, the Chinese-built engines are being phased out of the vehicles in question over the next few model years.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact is Japan is manipulating currency.

Why?

Simply to enhance their trade imbalance.

Don't see it or understand?

The CEO of Toyota has admitted that 20% of their profit comes from trade exchanges. And it's so simple but there isn't a single politician that will point it out. Japan has run with a prime rate at or below (mostly below) a half percent for more tha a dozen years. Yes mostly at a tenth of a percent. It gives their manufacturing sector a massive advantage. And when they come over here to "invest" they finance through Japanese banks. They're looting our economy people. Who of you wouldn't finance your business, home or debt at rates based on a prime of almost zero?

But why did they do this? Their political structure isn't based upon two parties fighting each other. It is that simple. They want to keep people working. They saw the best way.

Buying Japanese is like somebody reaching over your fence and picking the fruit off your tree. It has absolutely nothing to do with quality. Lord knows Toyota and the others make just as many if not more mistakes as anybody else. And by the way, did you read about how Toyota now has to pay royalties to an American company that invented the software that they stole to make the hybrids they claim to have invented run?

Really now, are these transplants so great? Are they paying Americans as well as Japanese? Are they giving them equal benefits even though it is widely know that the Americans working for them are every bit as good if not better than the Japanese?

You know the truth, they aren't and at the Toyota Cambridge plant they are talking pay cuts and less benefits while Toyota is playing dirty tricks to void a union vote. Don't think it's true?

http://lfpress.ca/cgi-bin/publ ish.cgi?p=228101&s=wheels

Say what you want but any corporation that is willing to screw the workers will screw the customers just as fast.

Hugh9269
Username: Hugh9269

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont buy into this "Buy Big 3" stuff...

GM & Ford are Worldwide companies that sell in South America, Europe, China & Australia to name a few. Do you want this kind of thought process when a German or British car buyer looks into purchasing a automobile? Vauxhall & Opel (GM) and Ford sell allot of cars in both of those markets. This nationalist thinking is not what GM & Ford needs in selling cars and trucks abroad.

I drive a Honda which is made in Marysville, OH that was made by a friend from college. I also purchased it a local Detroit area dealer that employs a family member. Honda builds in the U.S. and supports our economy by employing Americans over 20,000.

Honda just built another plant in the U.S.

http://world.honda.com/news/20 06/c060629NewAutomobilePlant/

(Message edited by hugh9269 on May 13, 2008)

Angry_dad

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.occupationalhazards .com/Issue/Article/38200/Workp lace_Health_and_Safety_Dirty_D ozen_Report.aspx

Is that new Honda plant as dangerous as the other?

Don't buy into that "nationalist" thinking?

And yes it is exactly what goes into the purchase of vehicles around the world. We are about the only nation that hates itself so much that it has become fashionable to self loath.

Oh btw, Toyota has just put plans for an American plant on hold. They'd rather send cars from Japan here and keep jobs there. With the decline of the dollar, they just don't have any reason to "invest" here any more. Too bad the real reason is the false value of the Yen is just starting to catch up with their piracy.

When you finally see what a fraud the Asian economic policy has been for the last dozen years, tell me again how they are doing so many good things for us. But why not ask your buddy at the Honda plant why he doesn't get the same treatment and benefits as the guys on the line in Japan first.

Jt1

Post Number: 11701
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still waiting for a repsonse from BA to clarify his question:

"What's your excuse?"

Buyamerican

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your post #11658

"Instead of blaming others and complaining about your situation you should take responsibility for yourself"

My reply, post #585 should have been sufficient.

None of the profits from foreign automobiles stays in America. If you think Honda and Toyota leave profits here, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

"Made in America" matters even more when you look at the men and women working for auto parts suppliers that serve automakers. These companies employ about twice as many Americans as the automakers themselves. And Ford, GM and Chrysler purchase nearly 80 percent of the parts these people make. Based on their market share, foreign automakers should be buying about twice what they are." (levelfieldinstitute.org)

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

Jt1

Post Number: 11702
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You still did not answer my question.

What exactly do I need an excuse for? I assume that is based upon your incorrect assumptions but I would like you to clarify.

quote:

None of the profits from foreign automobiles stays in America. If you think Honda and Toyota leave profits here, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

"Made in America" matters even more when you look at the men and women working for auto parts suppliers that serve automakers. These companies employ about twice as many Americans as the automakers themselves. And Ford, GM and Chrysler purchase nearly 80 percent of the parts these people make. Based on their market share, foreign automakers should be buying about twice what they are." (levelfieldinstitute.org)

More excuses and whining about your situation as opposed to just doing something to improve your situation. (Isn't that your common refrain?)

Jt1

Post Number: 11703
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To make it a little more clear, you stated:

quote:

Jt1, I am still not quite sure what the hell you're talking about. I am an American and proud of it and practice what I preach whenever and whereever I can. I wouldn't have a foreign car in my garage. If you live in Detroit, or in Michigan for that matter, then your priority should be buying one of the Big 3, not foreign when you must purchase an automobile.

What's your excuse?

What exactly do I need an excuse for? Enlighten me.

Hugh9269
Username: Hugh9269

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess GM does not care about pollution or safety as well...

http://www.occupationalhazards .com/Issue/Article/37237/OSHA_ Fines_GM_160000_for_Recordkeep ing_Safety_Violations.aspx

http://www.mecprotects.org/pr0 8_29_02.html

You can find anything you want on the net...

Much of the profits Honda makes is reinvested in the USA by way of new plants, hiring new workers and having new suppliers build plants nearby.

Honda purchased $6.36 billion in auto parts and materials from U.S.-based suppliers, this is a 2000 year figure too.

Here is a Michigan based company that supplies Honda

http://www.towerautomotive.com /customers/index.htm
l
Buying a Honda U.S. built, supports American workers, pure and simple....

(Message edited by hugh9269 on May 13, 2008)

Jt1

Post Number: 11705
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do love to drive through a Walmart parking lot and see all of the UAW and Buy American stickers on cars. I get a wonderful laugh from that everytime.

Angry_dad

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM doesn't care? That's BS.

Pure and simple, buying a GM, Ford or Chrysler supports more Americans than buying any Honda, Toyota, Nissan or other car.

And don't dare go near the fact that Japan has been flagrantly manipulating currency. You wonder why the dollar has dropped? Take a look at that Honda or Toyota. If they are so great, why do they feel the need to lie about currency? Yet they do.

Look if you want to make yourself a citizen of a second class nation go for it. You know it, Japanese transplants pay less, give less benefits, all in all they are here to suck the life out of American manufacturing while giving a pittance back. But don't even try to lay guilt upon those that are seeing through the BS about imports. Instead, the guilt is all yours. Enjoy it.