Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Red wings-dallas stars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an ex-motorcity resident I am thrilled that
the Wings are in the finals. Under any other circumstance I would support the Stars but in this circumstance it was a no-brainer.
Hockey is not a big deal in Dallas(except for the transplants like me). The Cowboys are to Dallas what the Red Wings are to Detroit.
A few years ago I was at an outdoor art festival in Birmingham & bought a photo of the old Olympia.
You can see on the marquee: Wings-Maple Leaf playoff tickets on sale & pro wrestling Sat night-
Dick the Bruiser vs Alex Karras. Anyone remember that? Guess the photo was from 1962 or 63.
GO WINGS! Bring home the cup>

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4804
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have that picture in my house, Ditman.

Go Wings!

Miguel
Username: Miguel

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a new arena announcement will come soon

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw-glad to hear that you have the same Olympia photo. I saw that Bruiser match in person(big Bruiser fan back then). Are you the person that had a Lions gameday program from the 50's at Briggs Stadium. If you are or know oneone that does have one, I may be interested.
GO WINGS

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4808
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I don't know about.

That's cool that something you were at is immortalized like that. My father has many a reference to old events at Olympia. Fun to hear about.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6855
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's own C. Howard Crane was an architectural genius!

Not only did he design many of Detroit's great movie and music palaces, but also Olympia Arena, the Fisher Mansion, and in Britain... London's famous Earls Court Exhibition Center.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.