Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Stolen bike! Help if you can » Archive through May 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS IS A FWD:

Our good friend Andres had his bike stolen from his job in the chemistry building at Wayne State. He had it locked up with a Kryptonite chain, through the wheels and frame, to a hand rail inside the building! This bike is brand new and is all he has.

It was made just for him!

It is a black Vivalo track bike with a metal flake sparkle. The wheels are silver deep-Vs with chrome-looking Phil Wood high flange hubs. He just put the new wheels on and they are less than 20 hours old! The chain really stands out--it's chrome, super wide and chunky, and has solid square block links.

If you think you have seen this bike PLEASE call Jack at 734-564-1031, Ben 313-999-2892, or Ron at 313-962-2300 ext 7724

This is a special, one of a kind bicycle built for track racing. There are no holes drilled for brakes, so you can't put brakes on it. It's set up to be NJS and CARIN legal. Andres is here visiting from a different country and needs our help, so lets pull together and keep a watchful eye and an ear to the ground. We are working out a cash reward with NO QUESTIONS ASKED! I can't tell you what the reward will be just yet, but it's over $400.00 so far, which is WAY more than a pawn shop will pay. Please help, if you have any info
Thanks, Ron

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was it stolen? I bet someone just used a common screwdriver and removed the handrail.

Sadly, you don't get stolen bikes back, unless the person that stole it has the balls to ride it to WSU.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6320
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

had it locked up with a Kryptonite chain

Well then we know Superman didn't take it!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the text message from ben as well. I will be watching with bat in hand.

and in response to focus on the d: true that many bikes are never returned (and this one being so fancy and well locked most likely won't) but of the 10 bike theft's i've heard of, I would say 5 were recovered... In one case, the bike was stolen, unlocked from my friends courtyard at Hancock and Second... and found about a week later with a flat tire by the Bronx bar's tire station.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, if the frame is aluminum, it probably wound up at the scrap yards.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why on earth would anyone have a nice bike in the City? Growing up the Blue Pigs would come to my school and tell us not to ask for nice bikes as they would just get stolen. Heck my sis used to work in Downtown Chicago and bike to work on a 20 year old free spirit by sears, and thieves even got that!

I swear people don't think and then get shocked that they are victims. Don't make yourself a victim and you won't be.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it doesn't have brakes, check with EMS. I would LOVE to see the look on the thief's face when he took off like a bat outta Hell, and came to the first busy intersection!

It may not have gotten far; WSU Police are usually pretty decent about "being on the lookout for" something. Get copies of the picture to the station on Hancock.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a unique bike and will stand out more than others. On a side note, I saw some street people pushing around a red fixie about 2 weeks ago. It looked out of place and I can't really picture a scenario where a homeless person would be riding a custom bicycle.

I'll keep an eye out.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A person would have a nice bike in the city for any number of reasons--excercise, convenience, to save money on gas...

Or, maybe they're here from another country, and that's their only form of transportation!

Yes, it would be stupid to leave a bike unlocked outside, anywhere. This bike was locked up inside the WSU chemistry building, and now the poor guy is stuck without. What harm is there in putting the word out?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor guy. That is good of you to put the word out, it's not a neighborhood I'm in regularly but if I will keep an eye out for it downtown.

However, it made me think of this... maybe for a smile :-)

http://failblog.wordpress.com/ 2008/04/20/security-fail/

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still curious how it was stolen. There's no point in locking your bike to something that can be removed by screwdriver or wood saw.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Alley

It's set up to be NJS and CARIN legal.

It's Kieran not carin racing.

Sucks that his bike was stolen. It will by useless with the Hank Williams lock and chain through the frame, it will boost the scrap value though.

quote:

Mbr

On a side note, I saw some street people pushing around a red fixie about 2 weeks ago. It looked out of place and I can't really picture a scenario where a homeless person would be riding a custom bicycle.

Probably just another hipster in his hobo chic hot new "fixie" outfit pushing a bike he does not know how to ride. He might have been on the way to a photo shoot so he could feature the bike in the Fixed Gear Gallery. At leat it would give BikesnobNYC something to write about.

We used to leave our track bikes unlocked outside the bar in RO. Nothing like a night of beer and watching hapless criminals trying to steal your bike. They usually got about 4 pedal strokes befor getting thrown over the bars when they tried to stop pedaling!! Those were the days.....

(Message edited by toolbox on April 25, 2008)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 938
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my bike (used for paper route) stolen outside of St. Mary of Redford church during 6.30 am Sunday mass during the mid 60's. Still hasn't shown up.
Good luck.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the NYCbikesnob blog link regarding stolen bicycles (was happy to find another person with similar and more public thoughts on the subject, great advice)

quote:

1) Have Many Bikes

When a male fish eats its mate’s eggs, do you think the mother cares? Not really. There are plenty left. In fact, the male is kind of doing them both a favor, since fewer eggs makes life easier and means more resources to go around. This is how you should view bike ownership. Don’t just have one really nice bike—have a bunch of “meh” bikes. Any time someone’s selling a decent one that you can afford, snap it up. That way, when one of them gets snagged, you’ll almost be relieved. It’s one less mouth to feed and a few more feet of wall space.

2) Don’t Form Attachments To Your Bikes

As I’ve said before, I’m a strong believer in loving the ride, not the bike. The latter can be taken from you at any moment, but the former really can’t. The fleeting satisfaction you get from constant upgrading, detailing, and fussing will inevitably re-visit you in the form of mental anguish when your bike is either stolen or crashed. Should you treat your bike well? Yes. Should you take every precaution when it comes to theft? Absolutely. Should you treat it like a human child and invest in it a part of your soul? Only if you’re the kind of person who falls in love with strippers. In fact, it’s probably a good idea to treat your bike like a stripper. Enjoy it but don’t get too attached, put a few bucks into it now and again, and just shrug and move on when it takes up with someone else.

3) Don’t Have A Pretty Bike

Speaking of strippers, the explosion of fixed-gear mania has turned the city into one giant strip club, in that everywhere you look there are pretty things hanging off of poles. Fixed-gear riders upgrade their bicycles constantly, festooning them with color and costly baubles, and walking down the streets of trendy neighborhoods is like walking along a sidewalk lined with lush, blooming shrubbery. So what opportunist wouldn’t want to pluck off a piece of fruit? I’m not sure when every urban fixed-gear bicycle I saw suddenly had Phil Wood hubs and a Chris King headset, but it's definitely become the case over the last few years. If your bike’s going to be spending its life hugging poles in an urban environment, skip the expensive stuff. For the price of one of those hubs you could buy another cheap bike and be in compliance with my rule #1.

4) Know Your Bike Will Get Stolen

If you lock your bike outside, it will get stolen one day. Whether it’s nice or crappy, and whether you lock it well or lock it poorly, sooner or later you’re going to come outside and it’s going to be gone. So do not close that lock and walk away unless you have already come to terms with the fact that there’s a good chance you’ll return to find nothing there. This above all else should be your main criteria in choosing a bike for urban riding. Don't lock it if you're not prepared to lose it.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 25, 2008)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, I'll bet that'll make us all feel warm and fuzzy inside. In other words, don't expect to keep anything of value in the city of Detroit. Nice.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11554
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Paul is lacking reading comprehension skills. The first line is states it is from NYCbikesnob blog.

I believe that you are intelligent enough to understand the place that NYCbikesnob is addressing. I'll give you a clue - The NYC part is pretty important to consider.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

don't expect to keep anything of value in the city of Detroit.

did you expect the contrary, based on a bulk of observational evidence, up until the very moment that i posted that excerpt? i regret to say that i have not.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 25, 2008)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fact, it’s probably a good idea to treat your bike like a stripper.

Funny, my stripper/ex- girlfriend stole my bike.

(Message edited by Downriviera on April 25, 2008)

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for being so positive. I had my bike stolen last year in Detroit and thanks to people spreading the word, it was recovered in a very short amount of time. Special thanks to everyone at the Alleycat who watched for it.

I miss my community in Detroit. Everyone watched out for each other. I had a bike stolen in Harrison Township. I was not so lucky. The community was not as tight and considerate.

Hope you guys find it. You know if I was there I would be looking.

Christina

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, why all the negativity when a bunch of people are just trying to get word out to help recover a stolen bike?

Re: the clip from NYCbikesnob, Detroit does not seem to me to be a city in the same league as NY, Chicago or San Francisco when it comes to bike theft. It is much easier to ride a nicer bike without worrying about it than in those cities, and most thefts seem to be opportunistic (quick cash) rather than for the purpose of parting out good bikes or such.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon me if this is too obvious, but has Andres checked with campus police? I've got to believe that a major campus in a major city would be covered with surveillance cameras.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, i'm not trying to be negative, i hope we are able to help find the bike (i've forwarded this around on various internerd avenues as well), i'm just trying to be a little realistic about investing in something that costs a ton of money, and more relavently here, looks like it too. its kinda fool-hearty in this or any other city where people are swiping things made of metal en masse that are worth far less, regardless of whether they even know what they are stealing (i doubt most copper theives know much about plumbing)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 26, 2008)

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't there security cameras in the building?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bike theft Alert #2
1960's Raleigh custom painted and built by Ron Shelton. Fixed Gear 42/14 ratio, yellow deep v rims, vintage Raleigh stem. yellow michelin tires. No brakes. Frame is sea greenish with bright orange accents.

Stolen outside of CAID friday night. Thieves cut 2 locks and moved several similar road bikes to get to this baby. Security claims they saw nothing although it was just outside the open door they were standing at.

It's my belief these two thefts are not unrelated and someone out there knows the value of these bikes.

bike

additional images can be seen here.
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2008/may/VanessaMiller.htm

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I've seen the programs on court TV and COPS where they do bike theft stings. I wonder how we can compel WSU public safety and / or DPD to do the same?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, that sucks on the second one (too), definitely seems like a targetted heist instead of some random crime of opportunity. I'll keep an eye out.

FYI, the CAID has closed circuit cameras all over the place, including outside, i'd ask em for a look at their tapes.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 19, 2008)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! Lets unite against these Bike thieves!

Andres should post his bike picture and reward around town.

Those who stole it are probably not on this site.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4308
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the hell are people treating their customs and high end rides like this? Out for rides and training only, folks, not to be locked up like a daily street beater!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having things stolen is an awful feeling. Losing your means of transportation makes it even worse.

I hope these bikes find their way back to their owners. Ron is too nice a guy to have something like this happen.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm still curious how it was stolen. There's no point in locking your bike to something that can be removed by screwdriver or wood saw."

Basically. I had locked my bike to a sign once (with a Kryptonite brand lock) Unfortunately, the locks rust, and my key wouldn't work. I was able to unbolt the sign from the concrete and remove the bike in about two minutes. A cop even drove by and did nothing. No one said a thing despite there being people around. Made me think twice about locking my bike to these types of fixtures (when I get a new lock)

Oh, and I did put the sign back for those concerned.

(Message edited by wolverine on May 19, 2008)