Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sonic « Previous Next »
Archive through May 21, 2008Rushbuzz101330 05-21-08  4:22 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Jman, I know.

That's how I found out about the other restaurants that just starting in our region (Del Taco, Culvers, Fatburger).

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culvers is great, don't know about the others.

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool! Can't wait for Sonic to arrive. I grew up in Oklahoma City (home / headquarters of Sonic) and I miss it. Sonic has a giant menu...something for everyone...plus, it's inexpensive and fast. Welcome to Michigan Sonic!

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dtalesdtown.blogspot.co m/2008/05/so-sonic-in-southgat e-opened-today.html

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, don't you just hate random link posters who don't contribute any commentary? lol j/k (see the Cedar Point thread for the joke I'm making)

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

The Long John Silvers on Grand River is coupled with an A & W. Just a block or so east of the Southfield.

msamslex

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Long John Silvers in Lincoln Park at Dix and Southfield

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Sonic AT LEAST 10-15 times in the past month since I made it to Charlotte!

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so burnt up I lived in southgate my WHOLE life and i just moved to Traverse I am not obsessing over Sonic, they are huge in the south especially the slushes, via DOWNRIVER

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful and take it easy on that stuff. It has additives, is addicting and highly toxic. Probably not the best nutritional value, and is probably addictive.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Like everything else we can get through a drive thru?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one Sonic I went to down South had a old style Drive Inn. Do these ones have anything like that by chance? I've always been surprised these aren't slightly more popular in Detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit, a typical Sonic is designed as an old-fashion drive inn.

That was the purpose of its existence. :-)

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend and I went there today, but a Sonic employee guiding people said it would be a 2-hour wait. There were cars lined up at the way to the back of Meijer's parking lot. I'll just have to save it for another day.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, Wykkidx said the same thing.

I wonder how many people would have come if it opened in Detroit?

(irrelevant statement below)

The whole region came to the 7 Mile & Gratiot Kroger when it first opened...

The next day it was a ghost town. :-)

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, we need to lobby to get Chik-Fil-A in Metro Detroit. If they can have one in Iowa, they can have one here too!

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh My God

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chick-Fil-A is one great restraunt. I always visit them when I am in Florida. Besides their awesome tasting food, Chick-Fil-A is good because they RESPECT their employees. They do not open on Sundays because they feel that Sundays are a family day and their employees should be with their families. I think that is great!

We also need a Waffle House and a Cheesecake Factory already!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, I love Chic-fil-a. I'm sick of driving 40 miles to the Westfield Mall from Ann Arbor

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got to Sonic at 11pm wed, there was a 2hr wait then and NO one else was getting in line.I got yelled at cause i work afternoons, oldest girls boy friend in trouble too cause he won,t move to okiehoma where there are plenty of sonics and i hear plenty of jobs. glad sonic came here, i,ll go back in a month.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading the Oakland Business Review yesterday and there was a job advertisement for management positions at Sonics coming to the Flint and Lansing areas!

I guess it's only a matter of time until we get one closer to me in the Troy/Clawson area.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take Flint. It's closer than Southgate for me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3141
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They do not open on Sundays because they feel that Sundays are a family day and their employees should be with their families. I think that is great!

Sorta. From the founder's mouth:

quote:

Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and directing our attention to things more important than our business. If it took seven days to make a living with a restaurant, then we needed to be in some other line of work. Through the years, I have never wavered from that position.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays? Well, in that case, they really ought to consider putting one in Detroit -- it would fit in perfectly!

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"John Matar of Grosse Ile Township and his partner, Fred Rafou of West Bloomfield, are planning to open 15 Sonic restaurants in Wayne County.

By contract, Matar and Rafou must open multiple Sonic locations in Michigan.

In addition to the Southgate drive-in, a Sonic in Canton Township is in the works.

As planned or proposed, communities that will be home to additional Sonic restaurants could include Flat Rock, Lincoln Park, Taylor, Woodhaven, Monroe, Livonia, Westland and Garden City."

http://thenewsherald.com/stori es/022008/loc_20080220001.shtm l

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Detroit Location?

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COnstruction bid are due June 2 for a Sonic in Commerce Twp.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, I used to eat at the Sonic in Searcy, Arkansas when I was a student at Harding University. My favorite was the Frito Chili Pie along with a cold Coke...

Glad to see some of the South is finally coming up North...For the White Castle fans, maybe Detroit will get a Chrystal one of these days.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 520
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if they are coming to Macomb county???

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of these would be awesome in;

1. New Center off Woodward or Grand Boulevard.

&

2. At Ford and Wyoming.

A Corktown or River Walk location would also be neat.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone know if they are coming to Macomb county???"

I hope they do.

Warren or Roseville would be nice. :-)

Chvyracn24
Username: Chvyracn24

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got news that Sonic is coming to Lansing. I cant wait for it to be built and open.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there last night in my '30 Model A Roadster, waited in line about 30 minutes, food was good for fast food, has a slew of drinks to choose from. We'll go back after the lines start to go away.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the car hops roller skate to your car like they do down here? They're all over down here and about once a month they sponsor a car show. So, you've got all these cars from the 40s and 50s line up as they did in the old days

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in another city now. There's a Sonic a half mile away...been a few times. It's a burger, people.
A while back, Krispy Kreme opened a location here. Car lines were forming around blocks, directed by traffic cops. It's a doughnut, folks!
I don't get it.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out yesterday that my niece works there on rollerblades. Her Parents told me with all the business the tips are great. I wonder what they will be after all the hub-bub dies down.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimarr... it's all about the shakes.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cough...Daily's is better.... cough

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met a Sonic waitress at work yesterday, and told her about the excitement and the two hour wait to be served in Detroit. Sonics are commonplace here. She was shocked. Her comment was "holy shit!"

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELCOME TO THE SOUTH!

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I'm planning on heading down to Sonic tonight with my GF before seeing a movie at the MJR Southgate. How's the wait now? Can you pay by credit/debit card or should I take cash?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still waiting for my cherry limeade!

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't tell you all how long hubby's waited for a Sonic! The first time he took me to one in Alabama I just couldn't believe how good it was. So glad they're finally moving north! Now if we can just get everybody to serve real sweet southern tea........

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, me too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.