Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Small bldg. to go up at WSU? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't really have the correct link but here is the part of the story about usage of state econ. development funds:

"City of Detroit: A five-story mixed-use commercial structure housing 10,000 square feet of retail space will rise on Cass Avenue near Warren at the heart of the Wayne State University campus in midtown Detroit, formerly a gas station site. The Detroit Brownfield Development Authority will use state and local tax capture of $429,998 to support the project which will create 64 residential suites in the upper four stories and 26 enclosed parking spaces. Total investment of $13 million is projected with 33 jobs created."

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a gas station at Warren and Cass?

Having a hard time picturing it. Help please?

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go:

http://www.wwj.com/State-Offic ials-Announce-10-Projects--2-0 51-Jobs/2223426

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of plenty of empty lots along Cass south of Warren, but no gas stations.

Are there any more details on this project?

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 21, 2008)

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing its probably the site of the parking lot near Blimpie's. That's the only vacant space I can think of in that area.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The church behind Marwill's is supposed to be torn down and turned into apartments and retail space.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im hoping they leave the building that used to be the Christian Reading Room. I thought the building would make a perfect cafe.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christian reading room is the building being demolished.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Im hoping they leave the building that used to be the Christian Reading Room. I thought the building would make a perfect cafe."

^^ If they leave it alone will you turn it into a cafe?

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did the Christian Reading Room go? Will the other stores (Marwil's, Epicurus, the potato place) be moving?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4807
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of business.

So the project reported on WWJ has nothing to do with the CSRR and its replacement, right? That is clearly not a brownfield redevelopment. So where is this five-story apartment building going? And, seperately, what is going to replace the CSRR? I'm hoping it would be a similar project (mid-rise mixed-use).

I don't know how the Marwil + Potato Place building got into this discussion, but I will say that I wouldn't mind seeing a replacement building there, with those retail tenants occupying the first floor of a new, taller building.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.themedc.org/News-Me dia/Press-Releases/Detail.aspx ?ContentId=c0b75485-5b84-481b- 85b2-e2c869bb378f

according to this press release the midtown project is 4830 Cass which is the CSRR

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4809
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that will be a perfect place for that development. I still don't know where the former gas station and brownfield-eligibility elements of the story are coming from, but am just happy to hear about a development there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.