Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Historic Detroit streetcar in San Francisco « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jline
Username: Jline

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All day today the Municipal Transit agency (MUNI) has been running a restored Detroit streetcar on a streetcar line by my work. It looks like they are testing it before they put it into full service. Keep trying to get a photo as it passes by, will post when I do. San Francisco restores vintage streetcars to run on our F-Line on Market street. Tourists and locals alike delight in riding on the line. It is like stepping back to the 30s or 40s!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat! If you get a picture, I'd love to see it!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.streetcar.org/mim/s treetcars/fleet/index.html

don't see the Detroit car, but they sure do have a bunch of others. interesting to click around.

EDIT:-Oops, didn't check the cars in for service:

http://www.streetcar.org/mim/streetcars/fleet/pcc/1079/index.html

(Message edited by gnome on May 21, 2008)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they've done this before:

Detroit streetcar in San Fran

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carol61/2248098178/

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.streetcar.org/mim/s treetcars/fleet/pcc/1079/index .html

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6852
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the DDOT HQ this week talking to a fellow forumer (who purchased my DSR Trolley print in Classified Ads). It seems that yes one of the Detroit Street Cars (mostly shipped to Mexico City) has made its' way to San Francisco.

Also, I got confirmation that the Washington Blvd. Trolleys are currently in storage and being taken care of until a new use for them can be found (along with funding!). Unlike the old DSR Trolleys, they ain't goin' anywhere!

Yesterday the DDOT fellow emailed me... it seems that everyone in his department wants a copy of that DSR Trolley print! :-)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it's the one pictured above though, based on the info in the link Tiorted provided. That's great news about the Washington Blvd. trolleys. The renderings for the Dequindre Cut have shown an optional trolley line running down the side, and I remember a few years back when they took down the Washington Blvd. trolleys that one suggestion was to run them along the riverfront...

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a restored Detroit streetcar, just a restored streetcar painted in Detroit colors.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6521
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a nice nod from San Francisco. That F-line is quite a thriller for nostalgia.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.