Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Roller Coaster Crash At Cedar Point » Archive through May 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::I explain what this has to do with Detroit near the end of this post. I'm thinking from an economic point of view it's another unfortunate hit for the Midwest in general:::

Some of you know I kind of like roller coasters and such, and post over at a Cedar Point forum. Apparently there was a crash on their Wildcat roller coaster. The media hasn't picked it up, and there aren't really any details available. I don't know if any of the victims where from Michigan or not.

The people over at this other board really have to much faith in the media.

Anyway here's a excerpt from the fourth page of the discussion;

Posted by MIA-MIKE at Pointbuzz.com

"...I was walking by the WildCat when this happened. It was definitely NOT a bump. It was loud and caught my attention easily. One kids face was all bloody and then he was carried off on a stretcher about 10-15 minutes after the crash. There were a couple other kids crying and calling their parents on cell phones. One other kid was holding his arm.

The Cedar Point officials would not let anybody too close and they were really firm with us about that because we were talking about it. I would guess only about 100-250 people even knew what had happened.

It was really upsetting to see kids so young hurt on a ride."

Cedar Point is a amusement park that is about a two hour drive, or a one hour boat ride from Detroit, which gets a large portion of it's customer base from Michigan and the Detroit area. They've really been hurting from Detroit's poor economy and the mortgage crisis, as well as some bad decisions they made in a bad park acquisition. This year, with the expiring of that foreign work visa (which I posted about awhile ago) they have hired 5,000 employees for the summer from Metro Detroit/Michigan. It's so weird walking through there now. They used to have employees from all different countries and such. I feel so at home now. Almost everyone is from Michigan, and almost every ride/both has at least one person working in it that is from Detroit.

This is good for jobs in Detroit in a way, but it's bad for business too. Employee's family members get free tickets. So it may be 5,000 families less paying to get in this year. Ouch.

Although Cedar Point is not even in Michigan, it's biggest market is Detroit. So that means they hire a ton of people from here, and spend a decent amount of money in Detroit for advertising...

So this really stinks...

PS: this is vaguely related to Detroit's economy, and there are rumors that the victims were from Michigan, so I thought I'd post it here. Cedar Point also is reliant on Detroit's success. They started out offering boat rides across lake Erie in the Early 1900's to stay on the beaches of the peninsula. For a time, Cedar Point was even only accessible from Detroit. Even so, maybe this should be moved to the Non-Detroit Section. All apologies if it should have been posted there. I wasn't sure. But I thought someone here might find it interesting. I'm actually surprised no Detroit media outlets have reported on this. They usually report stuff happening around there.

Here's a link to the discussion on the other site: http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Th read/22897.aspx

And a Link to Cedar Point's Official Web Site: http://www.CedarPoint.com

:-(

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh that is so sad. I hope those kids will be okay.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully any injuries are minor. It really doesn't take much to bloody a nose, and the stretcher may be a precaution more than anything. (These are hopeful words, I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything). Definitely not the kind of news CP needs with a faltering economy.

quote:

Employee's family members get free tickets. So it may be 5,000 families less paying to get in this year. Ouch.

And 5,000 families more paying for drinks, food, souvenirs, etc. The money isn't made with tickets.

(Message edited by scottr on May 21, 2008)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Feiger! Oh, he's busy. Never mind.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell them that Scott. In park spending has been going down for years. They just keep raising prices to offset that fact. $3.50 for a pop or water? Give me a break. They can't keep that up forever.

Cedar Point nowadays is full of people who are going out to the car or boat to tailgate and Bar-B-Que for free.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 21, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope it's not true Eastsiderules. I love the place ALMOST as much as Detroit. :-(

But, if it's true it should be reported. It's the heat from this time that would happen to stop future problems.

I do hope it's not true though!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, why the hostility?

I haven't even talked to Mommy and Daddy in about six months. I'm working my behind off to save up some money to hopefully open a business. I haven't had health insurance for over five years, and my sister had her house go into foreclosure. Then you have me that's just getting out of debt from the last time I saved and invested and made a huge mistake.

My Grandpa died recently, and I admit, he was wealthy. Unfortunately, he had fifteen kids, and they each have about four or more grand kids, so I didn't see a dime from that.

I worked my behind off for what I have. What gives you the right to judge? Seriously, what did I do to you??
You know nothing about me.

I'm nice enough to everyone on here. Seriously, why the hostility?

Why are going around spitting venom and making enemies?

If I had money hidden, I would have helped my sister and other friends get there house outta foreclosure.

Mommy and Daddy are in debt, and wish they could help me but can't.

Seriously just who do you think you are judging others from one little post.

I mean hell, I have a cavity right now and I don't have any dental, or money. Tough times for me. Who are you????

God, what money does to some people.

Can you guys believe this clown? I'm as clueless as the rest of you here!

God, I don't know who you are, but if you are someone from my past outside DetroitYES and have a problem, why not confront me to my face about it?

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 21, 2008)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 895
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm... I wonder if Detroit could support a amusement park again.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx, if the park is built correctly, accessible, and advertised (unlike the former Six Flags in Ohio), then of course. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 21, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6802
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's true, unfortunate.

That said, the Wildcat is a stupid carny ride that should have been replaced with something more interesting years ago... Like grass. Or one of those booths where they guess your weight and give you a balloon.

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wwj.com/Riders-Get- Unexpected-Jolt-at-Cedar-Point /2228089

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You almost need a baby boom abundance of kids plus an army of stay at home moms willing and able to drive them to the park on summer days...that's how Edgewater, Bob-Lo etc. thrived for so long.

I feel bad for the kids who don't have the recreational options we did ...

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little off topic and stupid, I know, but is anyone else slightly annoyed by News950's "links only" posts?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you going to criticize the only poster in this thread to provide real and not speculative information?

Cuz if so, that's totally cool.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A little off topic and stupid, I know, but is anyone else slightly annoyed by News950's "links only" posts?

No, that's the way they are supposed to be done. It could open up the website to copyright infringement charges, if he had cut and paste the entire article .

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12938
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News950 always seems so in touch with things.

Can't criticize 'em, Matt.

If you are annoyed, it is your problem.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WWJ article was no doubt written in response to this thread anyway - Look at the timing of their post and the one this thread started.

"Nine people were taken to a first aid station at the park. No one was seriously injured." A first aid station. No one even went to a hospital. Maybe someone should send WWJ the definition of "news".

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, you criticize the guys who's actually posting real news but let the people who write about ugly politicians get away with it.

How droll. :-(

Mortgageking

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News:

News is any new information or information on current events which is presented by print, broadcast, Internet, or word of mouth to a third party or mass audience.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6817
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave the 950 intern alone. Looking for stories online is their job. :-)

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh blow me.

I'm simply stating that instead of just posting a link, a link to a news website where they make money off our clicks, perhaps some commentary from News950 would be nice.

Mortgageking

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Commentary? Come on... this place has enough blowhards commenting on events they have no knowledge on. What this place needs are more damn facts.

Link away NEWS950! Bring credible information to our otherwise speculative threads.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckily the Wild Cat isn't one of the major rides, and is mostly a ride for kids...I don't plan on going on that ride.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact its for kids makes it even scarier IMO.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My kid just turned 13, I feel like putting him ON the wildcat.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TV2 had a story on this on their 11am cast. We didn't go to amusement parks when I was a kid. We had to amuse ourselves. So we just jumped off the garage. No wonder my bones are aching today.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cedar Point has a very good reputation for safety. Unfortunately, accidents will eventually happen with anything that moves. People are wise enough to know that one accident doesn't make Cedar Point dangerous. The economic impact (no pun intended) will be negligible.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're on to a real cool new ride there Retroit. The Economic Impact, where they strap you into a car and crash it into a foreclosed home.