Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Good bakery in Dearborn? Any reccomendations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend a good bakery in Dearborn/Detroit? I am looking to buy some Baklava to take to a friend's house this weekend.

Thanks

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Yassine's Royal Bakery on the north side of Warren just east Miller Road. I believe their address is 10618.

Royal Bakery

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could try New Yasmeen or Shatila. They're 2 blocks from each other on Warren west of Schaefer at Horger and Williamson. Then there's Masri, down Schaefer near Hemlock I think.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shatilla's on Warren. Lots of places on Warren, but Shatilla's has a great box.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shatila is more of a sweet shop than a bakery. They don't sell bread, for example.(It's a fantastic sweet shop, though.)

The best true bakery along W. Warren is Golden, near Chase. It sells all sorts of bread, plus some sweets. Four stars. Try the flat sesame bread with the handle. Seriously.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shatilas' baklava ( they call them fingers) is outstanding.. I can buy a small tray for 10.00 ( at least 40 pieces)from the counter and they box it.. They make great gifts to bring to a house.. Everyone likes them, they are not as sweet as Greek Baklava. I go there often for this...

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to all. That was very helpful.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shatila also has a brand of icecream that is OUTSTANDING, with flavors like Pistachio, Mango, Apricot, Coconut, Vanilla. It's expensive but to die for

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to consuming more calories in Dearborn by visiting all these places.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll vouch for that Shatila ice cream, especially the Pistachio.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont forget the only remaining italian bakery on the east side of dearborn, Italia bakery located on schaefer, between ford and warren.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capri Italian Bakery on Greenfield north of Michigan is still open and has recently taken back by its original owners.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I third the recommendation of Shatila's ice cream, but with the correction that I wouldn't call it expensive. I don't recall w, hat the pints cost, but the scoops sure aren't expensive - about $1.50 for a double scoop. Their ice cream is possibly the best I've had anywhere, they have unusual flavors and one (kashta- rose) that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Have some fun and earn your caloric intake by cycling over to have your sweets and ice cream scoop instead of driving :-)

(Message edited by otter on May 23, 2008)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are downtown, the Baklava at Astoria is good. As is their Choclate Baklava

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.