Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Alley Cat Bike Race Saturday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"From the team that brought you the Drug Wars race, comes the Traffic race.

This is perhaps the closest we can come to a rush hour NYC alley cat race. There will be a Tigers game, a Wings Game, and the Electronic Music Festival going on.

It's going to be a little tough due to crazy amounts of traffic and people. You must understand that this is an unsanctioned event and YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF. This race will be EXTREMELY dangerous.

Here are the details.

We will meet at Campus Martius at 5:45.

After a quick check in, we will try to start the race at 6.

The race will run like this. You begin at Campus Martius and have a total of 6 to 8 locations to go. You must go to a location and retrieve a “clue” (e.g. “how much much does a California roll cost at Fishbone's”). After you get the "clue” you must return the information back to Campus Martius. To make sure no one gets all the clues at once and returns them all at once, you will be limited to ONLY ONE “clue” drop off each time at Campus Martius.

So basically, you go Campus Martius, to a location, back to Campus Martius, next location, back to Campus Martius, etc…

I am only making 40-50 spoke cards due to the last minute factor. So if you want a spoke card, get there on time. Final locations will be given out either tonight or tomorrow. This will make it so that the planers (Unreal Detroit Crew) can race too.

Come to ride in the 'dead' of traffic.

Don’t come to be seen/scene.
This race will not be too cool if you get hit by a car! Be sure to check later for final locations!

See you Saturday at 5:45!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i wasn't going to be riding a fixey and light rail in portland this weekend, i'd totally do it :-)

Tonyt

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just there a few weeks ago. Great city! Only a $36 train ride up to Seattle with your bike!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice. yeah it's a hell of a town, the antithesis of detroit really.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there teams for this 'cat?

Vanessam
Username: Vanessam

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe this is the one tony! maybe i can beat you guys.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you having a bike race on the same day as the Wolverine 200 at Belle Isle?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fish,

you were wrong - we did "win" DFL :-)

they already had an email, so you ought to be getting one from the org. guy soon.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Yeah, I think.

Tonyt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't realize the Wolverine 200 was going on at Belle Isle, but this is a bit of a different crowd as well. We did it because of the traffic opportunity, which turned out to be less than we expected.

Not so much lycra in this crowd (though it's hiding under my MTB shorts!).

Anyway, the race was fun, thanks to those who showed up!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.