Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Packard plant tunnels » Archive through May 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was lookin over an old thread about the tunnels under the Packard Plant. I came across this statement by Bussey.

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:59 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"I still want photos of the Packard Tunnel. I have been there many times and never ever knew it existed" That was by Bussey, if your still around.

If there is any interest in getting a small group together to go explore. I know them well. Id be glad to show some folks around. There not huge but do seem to be quite safe. This might be a nice excuse to go city splunking.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, Now that would be so cool.

Stromberg2

Django

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets hook it up. Get your flashlites ready. I prefer the new LED lights. Lets see how many people would be interested and Ill set a date. I wouldnt want more than 5 or 7 at a time. Id be glad to do it though.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to go.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man...I'm in on this action!

J_fish
Username: J_fish

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

count me in

Django

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not like theres a mile of tunnel. Its a straight shot below the street between the two main buildings. There are some rooms off to one side or another. I believe they were coal rooms for heat. Just dont think your gong into a D&D maze.
Ill put out the date and time of Thursday May 22 at 5:30 pm. If that works for all of you, Ill come up with a meeting spot by that morning say 12pm. (May 22). Let me know what you think. We will only be going into wide open areas. I only splunk areas that are wide open. Ive never done this before with strangers. Let me know what you think. Oh yeah, you guys bring the beer.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would LOVE to go!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crap, I've got the Preservation Wayne annual meeting that night.

I'll be thinking about you. Perhaps if another visit is scheduled...I'd offer to bring the beer.

Django

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets try it Friday the 23rd of May 5:30 pm. That way I get beer. Ive got a loose schedule, its no big deal. Ill move it for others too if they really want to make it but cant. I really dont care what day. Ive been in that place a 1000 times, its not goin anywhere soon.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the Preservation Wayne Annual too so Friday will be better. I want to splunk.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i,d show cept by Friday i,ll have forgotten being on this thread, post the pix.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they say much if people tour through the old buildings like the train station etc

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django- do they still have security guards there?

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been there before...figure this is a good place to start. Thanks for setting this up...see you Friday.

Bigdiesel07
Username: Bigdiesel07

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea. Anybody know of other tunnel locations in Detroit?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm down for some urban spelunking. been to the packard several times but never came across tunnels. what's the plan?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12918
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Far as I can tell, Django IS the security guard there.

When he gave me an impromptu tour last week, a few scrappers seemed to need his permission to do their, um, work.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those rooms adjoining the Packard tunnel *probably* didn't store coal. Coal for auto factories was almost universally dumped in a big pile on the ground near the powerhouse.

Another tunnel runs under the N-S street on the west side of the MC Depot. I can't remember the name of the street at the moment. The tunnel carried coal into the basement furnace room of the depot, and ash cars (hand pushed?) took the flyash out of the furnace room through the same tunnel.

Hopper cars were spotted near the west edge of that street, and coal dumped from them into the tunnel. I'd guess that the coal moved along a conveyor belt and the ash cars were pushed on the tunnel floor next to the belt.

Who knows if this tunnel has been sealed at one or more ends. I'm not exactly eager to go look and find out.

I read about this tunnel in a "Railway Age" issue from early 1914 that described the station.

Django

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the MC depot? Im talking about a tunnel that goes under the North South street between the two main buildings. Off under it seems every seperate building would be a room, there were some kind of chutes that looked like coal chutes. Im not sure, we may be speaking on the same thing.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were subways under Grand Blvd. (between the Fisher and GM buildings) and Cass Avenue (where the vacant Burton International School is now).

Django

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And its all open, no security guards. Friday, 530pm at the Legends Coney Island. Ill be the big White guy on a bike. Thats the corner of Mt Elliot and Grand Blvd. I can only take about 6 PPl. so work it out yourselves.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-- I was responding not only to your post, but to what Bigdiesel07 wrote: "Anybody know of other tunnel locations in Detroit?"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the myth about Henry Ford's electric subway line underneath Livernois?

And I keep hearing about actual "tunnels" in Eastern Market and from church to church used by the Underground Railroad. Um, wasn't the "underground railroad" a metaphor, not an actual tunnel?

The other tunnels I grew up hearing about were the service tunnels underneath Eloise.

Pgn421

Post Number: 574
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no guards, i drove by there today.Django-i will meet you friday at the coney,im not going on the tour.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just south of the I-94 exit for Mt. Elliot.

(If you're taking Mt. Elliot south from Hamtramck, watch out for the big depression just south of the freeway bridge. They repaired the bridge a few months ago, but didn't fix the surface problems at all!)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guards were paid by the city to keep the rightful owners OUT of the property, they were there on the city's dime for 8 years, during which the scrapping and vandalism took place.
When the city lost its case earlier this year in the attempt to land-grab the complex they discontinued the rent-a-cops. It's the wild,wild east now, proceed at your own risk.

Do your loved ones a favor and write your name and a phone number to call with a sharpie on your stomach.

Django

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie
I got ya now. But what is the MC depot? wheres it at. I thought you were talkin bout the MC depot being a building at the Packard.

Pgn421

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will wait on the outside of the plant friday. keeping watch,while you guys are on the tour

Pgn421

Post Number: 576
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are some tunnels at the Michigan Penn Central Station.