Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » How Much Do Detroiter's Walk? Super Size Me « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I'm watching Super Size Me right now. They just mentioned the insanely high amount of Mc Donalds within walking distance of his New York apartment. He also talked about how much New Yorkers walk, and how he had to walk less in order to be in line with a typical American for his experiment.

This made me think.

1. Does anyone know how much the typical Metro Detroiter walks in a day? I'm guessing not much.

2. What about you? On average, can you provide a rough estimate (either in steps or miles) of how much/far you walk a day?

3. Also, one other question. And this is all just because I'm curious. How far is the nearest fast food restaurant to your home? What is it?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I can't answer that.

2. Depends. I have had times where I have walked miles, but lately I've become a lazy tub of lard that doesn't move much from my chair. I know, I know...

3. Burger King - 4 blocks/McDonald's - 4 blocks as well. For 1 - 2 more blocks KFC/Taco Bell. Add 2 - 3 more blocks and you open up a Coney Island & a Popeyes. For Wendy's/Tubby's/Subway add another 5 blocks. Whew, I'm tired of walking already.

*hops in car and drives to the Bally's Fitness Center (2 miles away!)*

Htpscott82
Username: Htpscott82

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Not sure.

2. A lot. I'm walking a lot in a day...probably because of my job..but I'm also someone who can't stay in one place for too long.

3. McDonalds is about 3 miles away...TacoBell,KFC,Wendys, & BurgerKing is about 6 miles away. Arbys is about 7 miles away. That's pretty much all the places I go to.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, let me try and remember...

1. I'm sure they walk more than you think. Now they probably don't walk very long distances if that's what you're asking.

Well, considering all the walking I do at home, thousands, millions of steps. :-)

-1-2 miles from 2 Taco Bell's,
-1-2 miles from Bally's Total Fitness *which I will never use* (and 4 from another one),
-1 mile from a McDonalds,
-1 mile from a Burger King (2 from another one),
-a little over 2 from a Pizza Hut and a KFC,
-a tad less than 2 miles from a Little Caesars, about 2 miles from another,
-2 miles from a Subway,
-2 miles from a Dunkin Donuts & Baskin Robbins, --a tad over 2 miles from an Arby's,
-a Coney Island down the block,
-at least 2-3 miles from 3 Wendy's (yuk!).
-About 3-4 miles from the mall (with a food court)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm within a mile of lots of carryout and fast food, but if I am getting any, I drive over and bring it home to share. Mustn't let it get cold! Usually we split a meal.

I walk at least two-three miles a day because of Ginger the dog.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#2 Maybe a mile.

#3 A toss up between Tim Horton's, KFC, Wendy's, McDonald's, A&W, Arby's, Taco Bell & Burger King. They are next to each other about 3-4 miles away. Closer is a 7-11 and an ice cream store.

Fat city.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroiter's would rather complain more about not being able to find parking(this board especially) than walk anywhere.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I easily walk a couple miles a day, not including walking around the office. But I live in Chicago, so that's cheating.

There are numerous restaurants within a 2-block walk from my apartment.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.I don't know

2.Average 5 miles a workday.

3.Does Coney Island count as fastfood?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pedometers are now selling like hot cakes. According to the literature, if you walk 10,000 steps a day, you are walking approximately 5 and 1/2 miles. That's a good amount of walking. Any one doing it?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one in this city walks unless you don't have a car and even if you did want to walk where would you walk to?

The nearby strip mall with a CVS and all the Miley and Miley's you can eat? To the liquor store or storefront church on every other block? Or how about that lovely McDonalds next to the barbershop across the street from that empty block of storefronts that have been sitting there for 20 years?

Outside of downtown where most Detroiters don't live there is little reason to walk because there is little to walk to. I imagine it is even worse in the burbs where in some cases there aren't even sidewalks to walk on. Sad really.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

# 1 - I don't know. I guess not all that much

# 2 - up until 5 months ago I walked an average of about 2 miles/day during any given work day (yes, I measured it) due to the large size of the facility and distance to parking lot I worked at.
Note: in the very near future (June 2nd that is), I'll be walking and mass-transitting full-time, I'm guessing that my daily walking will be 1 - 2 km per day on average.

# 3 - McDonalds right next door for the last 6 1/2 years. Went there about 4 times, and twice to the Wendy's one mile west.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes a Coney Island would count I think,

Detroit is actually very walkable compared to most of our suburbs. One reason I want to see Seven Elevens around Detroit is because of their Slurpees. So many people walk to these places for a Slurpee in areas they exist. I guess that could be done by a coffee shop to (hint to Urban Been Co.). It's a nice change from the usual ice cream walk.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon it will be ...how far to the nearest unemployment office?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, "when I was a kid", you used to have to get up off your a** and walk just to change the TV channel! I've heard of people with long driveways that get into their car just to get their mail from the mailbox. A hundred years from now, legs will be like appendices: outgrowths with no known function.

Oh yeah, less than 2 miles to any fast food you can think of.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

living in midtown, i walk or ride my bike pretty much everywhere - work, grocery store, shows, the film theater, art opening, coffee, bars... i have no idea how many steps, but probably at least a few miles per day.

there's a mcdonalds close by. and a subway. i think there are some places on wsu's campus but i don't know where.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get yourself a free pedometer....

http://www.kraftvendpromo.com/

I am guessing the average Detroiter walks 2500 steps a day.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk about 3 miles per day. Closest fast food places are about 1.5 miles away. We rarely eat fast food or pizza. I think I am going to try walking to work about 1 mile each way. I worry about gas prices. I don't use much but many people I know drive long distances to work. The price for gas has got to be hurting too many people. We have already seen the impact on grocery prices and soon home energy cost will go through the roof.A self sustaining commune is sounding good these days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.