Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » W Hotel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be nice to have W Hotel in Downtown Detroit... Have they ever consider Downtown Detroit as prime location knowing that the Hotel market in Detroit is pretty descent and can support such. I have seen W hotels and Trump Towers in city that has less population, higher crimes and low density in commercial/residential area in there region. WHY NOT DETROIT??? I think we deserve it and I truly believe "If they build, they will come" We need more urban, modern, unique skyscrapers to enhance the skyline to mix with one-of a-kind architecture that already exist here in Detroit.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but they've considered Birmingham a "prime" location.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck a birmingham

Gthomas

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm seeing major construction elsewhere and its pisses me off to wondering WHY not here in Detroit. Whats holding us back and maybe we need to take notes from these other cities....theres not enough support base from the State and surrounding suburbs. You have to come to realize "Without DETROIT the whole state of Michigan will be nothing". You have to support where your major sources are coming from..... YOUNG, EDUCATED, CREATIVE Professional that are leaving the state due to not having a solid base here in Detroit. We need these things! Trust what i say ....I'm bringing young, educated, and creative professional to live, work and play in Downtown Detroit from all across the states such as Chicago, Dallas and Phoenix and Oklahoma City. Michigan needs to find ways to keep the people here which are seeking creative jobs elsewhere and businesses ARE following right behind. I'm one out of many that are encouraging friends and professional to move here and STAY! They're excited and cant wait to move here, hopefully by the end of August. What I'm saying is this "WE DO NEED A STRONG NATIONAL AND LOCAL RESIDENTIAL/COMMERCIAL BASE AND ALSO ALONG WITH ENTERTAINMENT/RETAIL" It will eventually build up our economy and Detroit will once again be a major international tourist HOT spot. We are all willing to invest here and support everything DETROIT has to offer.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, we need an amusement park (joke).

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

wondering WHY not here in Detroit. Whats holding us back

Easy. It's because our state isn't keeping or attracting the type of people that are going to help the state (and therefore the city) grow. I'm 33 years old and I can't tell you the number of friends my age that now have addresses outside of Michigan. My neighborhood is made up of primarily 30-45 year olds, and the number of empty houses that stand, not from foreclosure, but because they've packed up and moved elsewhere, is sickening.

Our state government does nothing to attract business to Michigan. In fact, they do the opposite. Their answer to balance the budget was to tax businesses even more. This may fix the short term problem, but in the end, all it does is discourage businesses from coming here or for staying here.

Businesses go where it makes sense to go, in other words, where they can make money. If they saw that there was money to be made, they would be here. It's as simple as that. And you and I can sit and say that we'll support them and speak about how there's the tax base and the support among those who are here, but that, unfortunately, is not what is going to attract businesses here. It's going to be a solid tax base, demographics that are solid and not showing population drains, tax policy and economic policy which allows them to maximize their investment.

If you're serious about seeing Michigan and Detroit grow, then when you vote, your number one criteria for evaluating a candidate should be whether their policy attracts or repels business.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sirrealone,
Why are there any businesses left in California or New York State then? Or what about super liberal tax them to hell and gone Mass. If the tax structure was the main decision in any of these companies location plans, they would have bolted long ago. They stay because they can get young educated workers and because of the quality of life. You do not increase the quality of life by just cutting taxes. The argument that low taxes alone will solve our problems is just a fallacy. Of course we need to be competitive, and by all fair measures we are. But we also need a good education system, good public transit, and safe streets, and last I checked these are not free. They are paid in taxes. So in reality, taxes support the environment conducive to business locating somewhere, not the opposite.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think we deserve it and I truly believe "If they build, they will come" We need more urban, modern, unique skyscrapers to enhance the skyline to mix with one-of a-kind architecture that already exist here in Detroit.

I'll get Frank Gehry on the line. Now that we have someone that thinks we "deserve" skyscrapers, I'm sure he'll design one...free of charge. Then we can call a few developers and let them know of this entitlement Detroit has, they'll drop whatever paying jobs they have and rush right in to build 10...oh heck...how about 15... 95+ story buildings because Detroit 'deserves" it.

JD- I think everyone understands that taxes are the price we pay for civilized society, however in Michigan, and Detroit especially, the inordinately high tax burden returns very little in terms of services. Our 'leaders' time and time again fail to address that huge problem.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on May 23, 2008)

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many people today speak with their feet because it's often the simplest solution. Look at the top ten cities in the US based on the latest census. You'll find all of them except Phoenix and San Antonio have subway/light rail in place. Those two both have weather to lure in folks. Without a subway system - Detroit will never lure in young people. Why would someone willingly choose to settle for a city without the amenities of a Big Ten city?

1 - New York – MTA, Metro North, LIRR
2 - Los Angeles – Metrorail
3 - Chicago – CTA
4 - Houston – Metrorail
5 - Phoenix – Bus
6 - Philadelphia – SEPTA
7 - San Antonio - Bus
8 - San Diego - SDMTS
9 - Dallas - DART
10 -San Jose - SJTA
11 -Detroit – SMART bus

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4819
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to have Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Whole Food... you get my point. It's tough enough to get places like this to arrive in major cities that aren't named New York or Chicago, but our beckoning won't do anything. Sure we can have wish lists, but Detroit won't have stuff like this until a) there is money to support them and b) data backing this up which actually gets to the people that matter. Regarding (a), I'd say the Detroit hotel market is pretty saturated right now with three new hotels about to come online, all of which are upscale, so we'll need to get a lot more corporations downtown (to bring business travelers) and more event activity (even though we already have a lot). (b) is important because there is often a disconnect and delay. I.e. too many corporate retailers don't know how much spending power has arrived in parts of Detroit over the past five years, and they don't know that many parts of downtown have heavy foot traffic well past regular business hours.

Maybe we'll get the W in ten years or something; it's possible-- who'd have thought that we'd get a Westin, Double-Tree, Hard Rock Cafe, heck, even multiple Starbucks, 10 years ago. Corporations seem to notice each other, and that's the good thing about having an element of chain retail in Detroit. It will legitimize the City in the eyes of many outsiders who are thinking about investing here.

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey All,

I was doing research on the Romana Theater and came across a website showing the Romana in it's heydey. The theater looked all splendorous. Then at the bottom, they have a picture of an empty lot with a caption saying "the area of the Romana now." Like its the Gaza strip or something.

You can see people's emails to each other calling Six & Gratiot a "war zone". Things like that. Why is it always Detroit everybody says that about? Gee don't they have quote/unquote "war zones" in LA? Matter of fact, I've heard it's one big war zone!

Okay maybe they're right, but dang....

I think we should have a protest, everybody dress in fatigues and combat hats and stand on Six Mile holding signs saying, "I survived the Battle of Seymour!"

Sigh....I know...I know... Detroit needs some TLC but why does it always have to be us everybody points to as the icon of crime?

Praying your flak jacket ain't got no holes!

Jones

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past, above average wages, mostly based on the wealth generated by the auto industry, attracted people to Detroit, as the wages were enough to overcome the winters.

Now that wages are average at best overall, and there are no wealth/job generators of the same scale, our region is stagnating with lots of empty houses, and people moving elsewhere out of necessity/lack of opportunity.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD - I never said it was exclusively about lowering taxes. That might be a part of it, but there are other points which have been touched on that tie into a business making its decisions:
--The tax base that surrounds it. It's sort of the catch-22, because businesses need to see growth in areas, not people leaving, but the people leaving won't stay unless there is growth.
--The business climate and support base. Do you have policies in place (not just tax based) that encourage businesses or is there so much red tape that businesses figure it's not worth the hassle when they can just as easily go somewhere else?

These things, plus a hundred others that I'm sure exist that I didn't mention are best controlled by the politicians. They can do things, whether they be policy-based, tax based, whatever, to make our state favorable or unfavorable. Tell me, where does Michigan stand out above other states?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a state that businesses can come in and do whatever they want or to have disregard for the surrounding community or environment. But the states you mentioned, especially California for example, are largely business friendly, yet at the same time, ensure that they are protecting the citizens and the resources around them. That's what I think needs to happen in Michigan. And if it happens in other areas, it is possible, but it takes creativity, ingenuity, and a direct priority from those who have the power, but that's not happening here.

And, I'm also not suggesting that Lansing focus 100 percent on businesses. I realize that there are many other important things and programs. But, right now, we're losing businesses, and therefore losing people. And that means less and less taxes to do the things we need to do. The only way that's going to get fixed is to turn the outflow of people and business in the other direction, so I don't think I'm going overboard by saying it HAS TO BE the number one priority right now.

Let's be realistic. We're in competition with other states (and countries for that matter) for new business and even to keep existing business. Now ask, and not just from a tax perspective but rather from a 'complete package' look, does Michigan have a strong policy on attracting and keeping business? Can anybody give me reasons where Michigan stands out to businesses? My opinion is that the answer is an resounding (and disappointing) no.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6524
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belleislerunner, great post. But you forgot to mention that Detroit was #4th largest city in USA in our lifetime, atleast in jjaba's lifetime.
New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit. Then, in the 1950s, everybody had an uncle who left for Los Angeles. Back then, LA had the red electrics and Detroit had streetcars and the Grand Trunk Interurbans, Pontiac to the Detroit River.

Sixmilejones, no offense but your post was Pure Eastside. Welcome to The Forum from jjaba, LOL.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Gthomas

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't understand....I'm going to protest in Lansing and Washington if theres no change here! Believe it or not there WILL be riot popping up across the country if theres no change. High gas prices, higher crime, school closings, higher cost of living, low wages, Expensive WAR...i can go on and on! You have to realize The YOUNG, CREATIVE, EDUCATED PEOPLE is the future and they KILLING the future!

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will only be the beginning of your disappointment in life. Pace yourself.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 415
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be curious to hear how you were able to "bring young, educated, and creative professional to live, work and play in Downtown Detroit from all across the states such as Chicago, Dallas and Phoenix and Oklahoma City". How did you do it?

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no economist or anything, but isn't it a testament that lowering taxes to bringing in jobs is proven with the film industry tax credit? I mean, the bill passed a few months ago and look at the flurry of activity going on.

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jjaba! :-)

West side? There's a west side? :-)

Gthomas - so true! Our young people are coming out of school and can't even get jobs at the pizza place. Sad. Real sad. I've got a feeling the rest of the country who've been bashing Detroit are going to find themselves in the saaaaammme leaky boat real soon!!

Jones

Gthomas

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be curious to hear how you were able to "bring young, educated, and creative professional to live, work and play in Downtown Detroit from all across the states such as Chicago, Dallas and Phoenix and Oklahoma City". How did you do it?

I told them of all things that Detroit offers that no other city have and how unique it is. I told them of all the positive things that are coming to Detroit and we should be part of the growing trend. We have some of the best classic architecture buildings and "THE" nicest people here. They love the gritty look mixed with today's modern architecture....they want invest here and help the city. Chicago, Dallas and elsewhere already seen and continuing to see development in there city and want to start where its needed...which Detroit came to mind. You have to come to realize that we need to support other cities and Detroit never ever get support. Til this day they still think Detroit is the same as it was after the riot in the 60's, our own surrounding suburbs dont support us!.THATS ASHAME! Like I said before "If DETROIT die then the whole region will DIE!" Watch what I say....and if i had the opportunity to invest here and bring more creative technology jobs to Downtown Detroit I will. Also, I truly appreciate General Motors, Compuware, EDS, and the effort of Rock Financial/Quicken Loan/ EPrize to see not just what Detroit need but the WHOLE region... to keep young professional here and to build up our economy.

Gthomas

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I SHOULD RUN FOR MAYOR!! LMAO

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends, do you fit all the qualifications (are you black)? :-)

Gthomas

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am and PROUD! Race shouldnt be a factor....Im very much educated, creative and very successful. I will get my Bachelor Degree in Architecture Design and Engineering next spring and hope to go to grad school @ Wayne State. My business partner are on the same page as me from Chicago and Dalllas and attending Wayne State in the fall.We will live Downtown in one of the many lofts there, and hopefully invest here soon. Would you like to know anything else sir...

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you getting your bachelors from?

Gthomas

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Langston University in Oklahoma

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think you could do it right, then go for it.

It's so easy to give up hope when your walking through that proverbial valley of life, overshadowed by all that is evil and hopeless. But you really have nothing to fear. Keep your eye on the prize and you will get it. As a city, we need to keep our eye on the prize. Just because it looks like we are loosing, doesn't mean that we are. We need to keep at changing this stuff. We need to keep weeding out the bad eggs in our government and communities. Until that task is further along, we will continue to loose people and business. Even so, there is nothing we can do about it. It is going to take us a certain amount of time to fix the things that need to be fixed. There is not much we can do to speed up that process. It is already a set number. It's almost like we already lost those people. It's the numbers and people BEYOND that amount which are the ones we are now focusing on. Everything happening now is just a distraction.

This is not checkers, it's chess. You can't play the games in life for the here and now. You have to have a strategy. You have to be ten moves ahead. You have to predict the future with educated guesses. Stay afloat today, but play for tomorrow. That is how we will win, and that is how Detroit will come back.

Know your next move!

Gthomas

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Sean_of_Detroit....But we can do something, we have the power to overcome all this mess and i will not allow the government to run us over and eventually kill us slowly! We are the real voice and someone or all of us need to lay the foundation down and get them in order because Government dont know what the people need...they just in for the money! REAL TALK .....We need to go to Lansing and protest til some action are made. Then go to Washington .....and do the same. What can they do if all the citizen of Detroit and the surrounding regions are at there footsteps?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but how? That's the strategy part. Protesting would be interesting. Would it help? People don't seem to protest a whole lot anymore because they "don't have the time".

It's a good move, but not the whole solution.

Gthomas

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I see what u saying....there has to be a way, I will do some research .....I don't understand, we're so unique as a major city of the United States. We have our own Island for god sake, we're a international city with major companies that created and moved America such as the Big Three...the auto industry PERIOD! Also some of the best technology driven company and top 10 colleges/universities right here in Detroit. We have the best history in any other city where most things were created here with many legends to date. The Motown music industry, the best sport teams in history, and many movie stars.... have been born here bt left. We have some of the most talented people here but we cant keep them...there going to New York and L.A were they knew how to attract the young and creative decades ago and been successful. The Michigan Government needs to wake up get on the band wagon or there will be NO Michigan soon....

Gthomas

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Ritz Carlton Hotel considering a downtown Detroit hotel. They might test the market after they see Westin Book Cadillac Hotel success....

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Ritz Carlton in Dearborn, it has been seriously hurting the last few years.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about Ritz Carlton Hotel considering a downtown Detroit hotel. They might test the market after they see Westin Book Cadillac Hotel success...."

What for? They already have a (regional) location in Dearborn.

Besides, Crowne Plaza (Ponchartrain) recently closed their downtown Detriot location because of the meager environment for their business. Same for the Best Western.

I'm not happy about that, but if it is benefiting them, then whatever...

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 29, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when someone thought a W Hotel was going up in Birmingham? That was funny...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Remember when someone thought a W Hotel was going up in Birmingham? That was funny..."

Do you people read a newspaper?

There was a thread about it recently (with an attached article) that the W Hotel was considering a location in Birmingham (Michigan for that certain group of people).

Obviously, they must consider Birmingham a prime area.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just spent 4 days in Chicago with my son (LOYOLA UNIVERSITY) He lives in Lincoln Park...There is no comparison to Detroit..Before I get nailed, I spend alot of time Downtown ,have for 35 years.. Chicago is so vibrant It is a city Alive and Happening every day of the week..We have made progress but The Vibe here is so down comparitivly...I love the city but please do not ever compare it to Chicago

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you people read a newspaper?

There was a thread about it recently (with an attached article) that the W Hotel was considering a location in Birmingham (Michigan for that certain group of people).

Obviously, they must consider Birmingham a prime area.

LOL! Just like Faneuil Hall going up in Troy.

We already had this discussion here before. A W Hotel is not going to be built in Birmingham.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why? We should be able to compare ourselves to EVERY city. Detroit is the next Dubai, you all just don't see it yet. Chicago is nice. Many of the world cities are, don't get me wrong. But they are like lighters to a flaming torch. That flame can be related to passion. Detroit has a flame ten times bigger than any other city.

I mean I love New York and Chicago... but they are not DETROIT! The passion plus the opportunities is what makes us.... great!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you need to wake up and realize that it's not the government that's gotten us into this mess, and they're not going to get us out of it either. Young people aren't moving to get a tax break. It's statistics like Michele Hodges posted on the Crain's blog that stated that only 73% of Michigan parents feel their children need a college education to succeed that will be the end of us. That's scary as hell.

Quit waiting for someone else to bring Detroit up to world-class status so you can hop on the bandwagon. Either do something entrepreneurial here, or move to Chicago, NY, LA and get that mediocre office job halfway across the country so you can "fit in" in a city that's already "cool". I've got friends who have done it, and while they say it's alright - they still miss the "D". Detroit is gritty and battered but for the most part it offers just about as much as any other city, you just have to work a little harder to find it. Just about everyone has a negative attitude around here, but when you get right down to it, our quality of life is really quite good.

Every time this issue comes up, I think of my former friend who used to say "Michigan has nothing for me." Ultimately she pissed me off for multiple reasons - but that statement was at the forefront. What do YOU have for Michigan? Are you taking an active or a passive role in Detroit's revitalization? I recall a girl quoted in one of the local papers that bragged about how she traded the "Coney Island" for the "Bistro" in her new life, with a general sense of arrogance for having done so. I swear some people leave just because they think that they have to in order to succeed. That's not always the case.

If you claim that all the creative and talented people are leaving Metro Detroit, and you live here, then what are you saying about yourself? I have a fairly large group of friends in their mid/late 20's that not only work professional jobs in the area, but most have invested in purchasing homes. About 3/4 of them grew up here, the other 1/4 are new to the area.

This weekend I'm going to continue to develop code for the home/building automation platform I've been designing for a year now. With any luck, I'll be ready to rent some of that ultra cheap commercial real estate downtown in a few years, ready to sell a product. It's a lofty goal, but I'm giddy over the idea that such a product could be developed and supported in Detroit, MI, not Silicon Valley.

But seriously, you say that right now Chicago is a more vibrant city than Detroit? Call the press...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quit waiting for someone else to bring Detroit up to world-class status so you can hop on the bandwagon. Either do something entrepreneurial here, or move to Chicago, NY, LA and get that mediocre office job halfway across the country so you can "fit in" in a city that's already "cool".

Can I print up flyers that say this and give them to all my friends?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazooty... you are also working on smart home designs????

Maybe we need to talk more?!

I'd rather have a partner than another local competitor...

EDIT:

Also, Detroit already is a world class city. It's just a world class city in a recession. It's all temporary.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 29, 2008)

Gthomas

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Sean & Wazootyman....in some parts? We are not like any other city in the states and we have unique opportunities already being set. Detroit is already a World-class city....DETROIT IS THE DUBAI OF AMERICA and we will shock the world soon...Like I said before, I'm bringing friends and business partner from Dallas, Arizona, Chicago and Oklahoma. They are very excited about moving here and lucky to being part of the excellent future of the city. We will soon be investing in Downtown Detroit and set-in cafe and retail plus developing residential/office spaces for growing companies.
Nothing simple, want to make a statement...HUGE.

Theres plenty of outside and inside help that Detroit have gotten and still receiving. Just as myself, there are folks out there doing the same to improve the quality of our city. I'm living proof and anybody can do it. You will here my name for major development in Detroit in the future and I will make a statement. DONT THINK LOGIC, THINK POSITIVE!! BELIEVE.....

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the obsession with these chains like W Hotels.
Detroit is doing great things with homegrown business and talent. No need to have copy cat hotels and business that other cities have.

Detroit could become something great and unique.
You don't need a W Hotel to revive.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Chicago is so vibrant It is a city Alive and Happening every day of the week..We have made progress but The Vibe here is so down comparitivly...I love the city but please do not ever compare it to Chicago"

yea, please don't, or i might wanna move! THANKFULLY we are nothing like that place

Gthomas

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we dont need it but in a sense it will be nice .....I love the fact that we dont have what every other cities have. That fact is this,...we want to let others that we can hold down the same things you have in your city and still be uniquely different.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.