Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tomatoes Apizza Reviews? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend told me about this place yesterday...I've heard about it from a few others, but never had it.

Can anyone fill me in on this Farmington Hills eatery?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been there, but when Deminski and Doyle were still on 97.1, Bill Doyle raved about the place. Said it was close to New York style pizza. I've wanted to try it ever since, but I live on the far, and I do mean far, east side. Almont to be exact, so I haven't been yet.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Times ran a review

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/review.asp?id=12829

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good stuff

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - my parents live in Almont - it is such a nice little town. They love it there.

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you can eat pizza at lunchtime...

Jcole

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, I knew we had a connection :-)
Do they live in town or out in the country? And, have they been here long?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site is great! Helps us bad memory posters! Thank you! I get the feeling, as an eat out a lot-restaurant connosieur, the spot is going to be a winner. If we were all small town folks I would suggest we all meet and enjoy a pie and sampler plate together.City-suburbanites are funny bout that stuff. Ill scope the place out-see what its all about and write a review.

ErieDearie-with the exception of some time in Flint I grew up and spent much of my twenties in Lapeer County. Have-had relatives in Almont-lived there briefly in early eighties. Was much more small townish in the seventies-very undeveloped with out the homes and other developments.It was too conservative when I stayed there.Imlay City was more welcoming. Too many suburbanites are moving there and destroying the character lol!

Jcole

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Detroit, and we moved out here when I was 17. It's not quite as conservative as it was back then, but it also doesn't have the businesses that it did back then. It has become much more of a suburban workers bedroom community.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - yeah - small world, huh?

They are just off of St. Clair on the north side of Van Dyke. My dad wouldn't move very far off of Van Dyke. He gets lost so easy. We've always teased him about that. I think they've lived there since about 1988 or so. They love it - they have deer in their back yard all the time.

You ever go to Lucky's Steak House in Imlay City and have their giant sweet potato with dinner?

About where are you?

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love it! Try the white pizza. Actually, just thinking about it is making me hungry.

Terryh

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Jcole? Try Nachos in Imlay for authentic Mexican food.

Jcole

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came out here in 73. My dad was a Detroit cop who took the job of Almont police chief when he retired. I live in town, just west of Van Dyke just south of the curve.
I love Lucky's but don't go too often. I'm not a sweet potato lover, but the Rib Steak with zip sauce is awesome, and the garlic mashed potatoes are to die for.
Nacho's is good Mexican. It's been around for at least 20 years, so he's doing something right.

Jcole

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TerryH, did you go to school here?

Gplimpton

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the hell did my pizza thread get hijacked?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how can a restaurant called "Nachos" be authentic Mexican? They don't eat "nachos" in Mexico.

I have heard many good things about this pizzeria. I will check it out next time I'm in town.

Has anyone heard of a NY-style slice pizzeria at Woodward and Square Lake in Bloomfield Township? My brother said it is the closest imitation of the typical NY street slice in metro Detroit.

Jcole

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner's name is Ignatzio, and his nickname is Nacho.

Jcole

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of hijacking again,
Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico, just over the border from Eagle Pass, Texas, around 1943 at a restaurant called the Victory Club

Crawford

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well maybe they originated somewhere on the border, but you will never find nachos in Mexico.

I live in Mexico City.

Terryh

Post Number: 768
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did Almont High for several months back in 82. Graduated from Imlay City. My Grandparents resided in a house across from where the bowling alley is now located. I remember when that field was a cornfield. Charlie Browns Ice Cream shop. Back to Pizza, remember Troias? That place had a great pie.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well maybe they originated somewhere on the border, but you will never find nachos in Mexico.

I had nachos at a steak restaurant in Hermosillo, Mexico. They were darn good, probably the best I've ever had.

Jcole

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TerryH, Troia's did have great pizza, but they've been closed for quite a while. The old owner died last month.
My daughters worked at Charlie Brown all through High School and my husband taught at Almont High for over 30 years. He was my teacher in HS.

Crawford

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine, Fishtoes. You can have nachos in Mexico. You can have many foreign foods; it doesn't mean that Mexicans eat the food or it is authentic Mexican.

You can also have tikka masala, wienerschnitzel, sushi and falafel (I have had all four), so I guess these foods are all "authentic" Mexican cooking.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how the name "Nachos" defines whether the place is Mexican or not. One would think that the quality of the food would have the final say in the matter.

Jcole

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, considering that Nacho is the owner's nickname, and not the food they serve.

Gplimpton

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS IS A PIZZA THREAD

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Greek tacos and Mexican pizza.

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gplimpton--your pizza thread got TOTALLY hijacked..."Hey guys, here's what I think about something totally unrelated that the "a" in pizza made me think of..." but the ANSWER to your question is: yes, Tomatoes Apizza is awesome. Probably the closest thing I've ever seen to authentic northern-Italian-style pizza in Michigan (well, in my experience in the states, for that matter). Really fresh, light tomato sauce, paper-thin crust, hearty, greasy pepperoni, and be sure to order chopped garlic. The Metro Times article that was linked here is also helpful, but I definitely recommend this place. There's also one at 10 Mile & Halsted in Novi.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.