Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Plum Market at Maple and Orchard Lake. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plum Market is opening up a third location where the old Farmer Jack was in West Bloomfield. How does everyone that lives in the area think it will do? You've got Hillers right across the street and the Whole foods a mile down. Whats the opinion anyone?

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Busch's is opening a location in the spot where Kroger was, at 14 Mile and Farmington Rds, which is 2 miles away from that location, and 1 mile from the Whole Foods. I do wonder what will happen..

(Message edited by Atwater on May 24, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if it's not an "upscale" market, then it should do fine (as the bargain grocer). :-)

Umbound

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there is so much competition around that area, i know i live here in WB, i think it will be interesting, Ive never heard of Busch's though? is it an upscale grocer like Plum and Hillers Atwater?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is.

Busch's

Atwater

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Busch's is upscale, Plum Market is upscale, Whole Foods is, obviously.. Hiller's is the least upscale of them all, and it's definitely of a higher caliber than Farmer Jack or Kroger.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is kinda random, but how can Bloomfield Hills receives 4 (or 5) different gourmet markets and Grosse Pointe doesn't have any? :-)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
Because Bloomfield Hills is a lot richer than the Pointes.

Moreover, there are hundreds of thousands of high-income residents surrounding the Bloomfields in central Oakland County while the Pointes are surrounded by water or low-to-middle income communities.

Umbound

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Dont think BH has four or five? but i didnt know that Grosse Point does not have any. Thats weird i think GP would have a few, i dont know i have never been to Grosse Point ever in my 20 years of living.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find Hillers much more upscale than Busch. Particularly in the meat and produce depts.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Busch isn't really upscale, unless "better than Farmer Jack" qualifies as upscale.

They are in all sorts of blue collar rural towns between Ann Arbor and the Ohio border.

I would say only Whole Foods and Plum Market qualify as upscale.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it better when the gas station/garage on the southwest corner was run by Iggy Katona.

You kiddies won't have a clue about Iggy. Your loss.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iggy the racer? You knew Iggy?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6882
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says Grosse Point doesn't have a gourmet grocer? It may not be big, but there's a small grocer on Fisher Rd. across from Grosse Pointe South that caters to the Grosse Pointe palette.

And have any of you been to the (former Farmer Jack) Kroger on Mack Ave. between Moross & Vernier? They have a gourmet bakery, deli and meat department that compare favorably with the true gourmet stores.

And then there's other gourmet stores. There's a gourmet liquor store on Mack north of Vernier. And Josef's Bakery a few blocks north of the liquor store is about as gourmet as you can get when it comes to baked goods.

There's other gourmet stores in the Grosse Pointes that may not be a big box gourmet store, but they can hold their own.

One other reason for no big gourmet stores in the Grosse Pointes is the lack of space for building, and not some "they aren't as rich as we thought" theory.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to pull for Iggy all the time at Motor City Speedway, Eight Mile and Schoenerr, in an earlier life. He was a helluva driver. No, didn't know him, was just a fan.

On Channel 7. Fred Wolf, Commentator for the Monday night races.

How could you forget? :-)

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just in a Plum Market for the first time last week in Ann Arbor.

It is absolutely phenomenal, everything is amazing looking and well thought out.

It is expensive, but you can actually find deals there, unlike Whole Foods.

I like the market MUCH better than Whole Foods. Amazing bakery, hot foods, etc.

Umbound

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the owners Marc and Matt Jonna really know what they're doing. I hope they do great at the Orchard Lake and Maple location, its going to be tough for them but i think they will do ok.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. Busch's is not upscale. Go to the Busch's in Carleton, MI down in Monroe County and tell me how upscale it is.

Atwater

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I actually haven't been inside a Busch's, so I was going off of what I'd heard from others.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiller's meat department is tops, I'll have to see how Plum Market compares.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked that Hillers better when it was called "Shopping Center Market"

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the Busch's are quite upscale while others are not. The Busch's in Farmington on Grand River and Drake is comparable to the Hiller's on 14 Mile Road in Commerce/Walled Lake and it has a better selection of microbrew than just about anywhere else in the area. I imagine that the Busch's on 14 Mile in that old Kroger spot will also be quite nice.

I hope Plum Market is quite successful in their new space. I hate seeing that space empty when I drive out that way.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Residents in the Pointes would consider the Village Market on Mack Avenue and Trader Joe's on Kercheval as upscale markets. The fancy Kroger and the Yorkshire Market on Mack, as well as Mullier's Market on Kercheval also cater to the Bon Apetit crowd.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from any demographic reasons, the Grosse Pointes also have a well-earned meat-and-potato reputation. That's why even lauded restaurants like the Hill serve essentially very well-prepared but totally standard, classic dishes – prime rib, Dover sole, etc. I know when I lived there, it was very difficult to find anywhere close by to eat that wasn't either a diner or Italian. And if you got hungry after midnight, forget about it.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard about Plum Market's plans in Royal Oak recently? I thought they were going in Main North at 11 and Main. That would be a similarly competitive market with Holiday, Hollywood, Westborn, and Hiller's all nearby. Trader Joes, too. Plus A few Krogers and Meijers. I guess only the strong will survive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.