Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone know the name of this building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The small, 11- or 12-story building in the foreground of this postcard, next to the Barlum Hotel/Cadillac Square Apartments building and across the street from the Old Wayne County Building. It still stands today.
http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/barlum.jpg

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google street view:

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. SNWEB.Org told me it is called the Lawyers Building. Seems like a pretty lame name, but it was next to what was the courthouse, so that'd make sense.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's the Lawyers' Building. But, that is a relatively recent name (compared to the age of the building). It was original built as the American Title Building back in 1922. I think I read that the name reflects what the owner wanted the building to become: a place for small law firms. Not sure if it was ever filled with Lawyers. Maybe some of our more senior members know about the history of the building in greater detail.

BTW, the developer was the same developer of the other two buildings on the block, which are Cadillac Tower and New Cadillac Square Apartments: New Cadillac Square Improvement.

Wasn't there some plan, recently, to have this building renovated?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same developer meaning the Barlum Hotel/Barlum Tower guy? Or the guy who changed the Barlums into the Cadillac Tower/Apartments?

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hope so LM,
that's a sharp bldg. Isn't there a Subway on the 1st floor?
Problem is, the market is kinda flooded with lofts right about now, which limits short term investors that could get their hands on money to renovate. This would be a good loft/apartment project if the rents were reasonable, but a long term, well established developer would need to step in if the banks were to take it seriously.

I think this building falls under the classic Detroit conundrum where the owner thinks it's worth more than it is, so when you add the sale price to the renovation costs, they are already priced out of the market. This is still Detroit after all, Real estate is still more valuable as a parking lot for short term profits.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6010
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Developer as in the company that actually developed all three of those buildings.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it can be yours for the right price.

http://signatureassociates.cat ylist.com/jsp/listings/listing _overview.jsp?listingID=134523 3

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn I lefy my 1.7 mill in my other pants.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6011
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That $42 a square feet sounds awfully expensive, doesn't it? The location is great, though.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scrappers have been at work in there, saw 'em coming out on my way home from greenwich time the other night.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How wierd it is that the United States previous fortress of democracy has been reduced to a much smaller city where in what buildings are left people break in and rip out the hidden infrastructure to sell as scrap to meet growing demands in other countries over seas? It is such a problem to it happens quickly and everywhere! This can not be a good sign for our economic future. but hey its a Great Location!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when lawyers actually occupied the Lawyer's Building. One was a former Lt. Gov. of the State, and another, sadly, took his own life there.
Sammy the Barber,now in the Dime Building, had his shop there for a brief time early in his barbering career. Also, a small deli in the lobby for the tenants and others in the area.
Chalk up the Lawyers's Building as yet another example referenced in Fareastsider's #892 post, above.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$42.50 Per SF = relatively cheap.
Developers are lucky if they can build a building for under $100.00 per SF these days.

"scrappers have been at work in there, saw 'em coming out on my way home from greenwich time the other night."
It is possible (albeit disheartening) that the steel in the structure alone could be worth $1.7 mil.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.