Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Have A Great Memorial Day! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day and I hope you get out and do something on this (so far) gorgeous day. :-)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But while we're out having fun in the sun, let's remember the great cost that this freedom bears. We are blessed to live in a country with such a storied history of the men and women who give their blood and breath to defend it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we definitely can't forget the soldiers risking their lives for our country.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moment of Silence @ 3pm today

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Annual Memorial Day Service held this morning on the grounds of the GP War Memorial was a beautiful and moving tribute to those who paid the supreme sacrifice in all wars. From the opening fly-by of 2 F-16's to the ending sad tones of a lone bagpiper, it was a stirring and emotional program.
At the same time however, at Vernier and Mack, the City of GPW conducted its long-standing, traditional program also honoring those veterans who died in the cause of freedom.
Each of these services draws a large crowd, both are well done, each has a guest speaker,patriotic music, flags, veterans in uniform etc. I wrote a letter to the GP News a few years ago that was published in the Editorial page, commending each venue, but wishing that these services could be held at different times rather than both starting at 10AM, but it appears that each event is just too steeped in its own tradition to alter a time difference.
There is no doubt that the GPWM location is a more spectacular setting with the green expanse of grass and the panoramic view of Lake St. Clair in the background, than the City's Memorial Park on Vernier/Mack with traffic and its sounds so close. But the setting is definitely not the criteria when it comes to honoring our veterans on this important day.
Anyone ever attended both? To go to one is to miss the other. What are your thoughts?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6535
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Memorial Day, Rock. Good report.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me remember my cousin, John Frederick Downing. Ground casualty, Kinh Dinh, S. Vietnam, 1970. He rests in Arlington National Cemetery. I think of him often, especially on this day.

He should be celebrating his 58th birthday tomorrow. He never made No. 20.

(Message edited by ray1936 on May 26, 2008)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Myself and my family stopped by the Polar Bear Memorial at White Chapel today. Nice ceremony including a fly-by.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I note the Detroit Free Press had a nice writeup, including photographs, in this morning's paper, Page 5A, covering yesterday's GPWM service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.