Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Deloitte mulls building green in downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saplej
Username: Saplej

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With two years left on their lease at the Renaissance Center, executives at Deloitte L.L.P. say their future may include the construction of a new downtown building

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0526/SUB/805260321/1069

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they do build new, my guess is that the building would be about the same size as One Kennedy Square. It would be interesting if they took the Hudson's site (maybe as the main tenant of a larger mixed-use complex) while Quicken takes the Statler site. Or maybe they take the Tuller site and share some resources with Quicken on the Statler site. (e.g. parking structure)

(Message edited by hudkina on May 27, 2008)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great news. these are the types of companies that Detroit wants to be visible downtown.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Businesses are finally seeing the BIG picture and DETROIT should respond! BE VISIBLE AND MAKE A STATEMENT....Watch your business grow and your pockets..lol. Also great for major retail and entertainment along with the project.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote (as if it counts) would be to do a green renovation of the Detroit Free Press Building. It is a significant landmark building with a great vantage point at the bend in Washington Blvd. Its supporting structure for the roof would probably be adequate for a green roof and would look very good with the Deloitte name on top.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that will be cool too...But working with Quicken Loan would be great also....But most importantly is that there staying in Downtown Detroit and want to expand the company to help the city rebound as a World-Class City for business and other such things.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine 1001 Woodward is making them a heck of an offer. Interesting debate whether to build a new green building vs. rehabbing an existing building and making it green but to a lesser extent.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half the buildings in Detroit have wild trees growing out of their roofs, how much more green can you get?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My vote (as if it counts) would be to do a green renovation of the Detroit Free Press Building. It is a significant landmark building with a great vantage point at the bend in Washington Blvd. Its supporting structure for the roof would probably be adequate for a green roof and would look very good with the Deloitte name on top."

^^^ and we have our first Dyes bingo winner lol

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4822
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this could go any number of ways. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they are trying to leverage themselves against an increase in their lease rate at the Ren Cen-- showing RenCen people that they are for real and will leave, unless the price is just right.

But I do believe that they'd like more visibility, and would like to make a 'green' statement (meaning they must have a lot of money to play with). Honestly, the greenest thing to do would be to rehab an old vacant building, but I will be open to anything they offer as long as its not green in the sense of DTE's superblock campus. They can build 4, 14, or 40 stories, just give us all a good design and appropriate downtown land use. I wonder when they'll make a clearer statement (with only two years left on a lease).

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deloitte currently has the majority of Tower 600 in the Ren Cen and has outgrown their space.

Not to mention, the flooplan of Tower 600 is functionally obsolete and lacks a lot of good usable working space.

PWC and Ernest & Young, two other professional services firms have built their own buildings downtown in recent years, and Deloitte has been looking at doing the same.

Deloitte always prefers to be at, in, or near landmark buildings in the core downtown areas of major cities. They will always stay downtown. In all liklihood they will probably go with a new-built option, as there is very limited availability of large pieces of modern Class A office space in the CBD.

The wildcard being, how desperate will the current landlord in the Ren Cen get if a majority of Tower 600 were to become vacant. Only taker I could see would another supplier or vendor that does a lot of work with GM.

It says a decision is likely by the end of the summer.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, EDS actually got Tower 500 named a Renaissance Zone to get tax breaks to move there. Maybe they'd consider moving additional suburban employees to 600 for the same deal.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.