Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Holy Cross Cemetery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rearview
Username: Rearview

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any photographs taken in or around Holy Cross Cemetery on Dix Rd. in Detroit?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I just drove by there the other day, and it looked really well kept.

Rearview

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jcole.

I'm working on a book about the cemetery and was hoping beyond hope that someone might have photographs.

For some reason, this cemetery is lacking in archival photographs. I've looked at the State Archives, Burton, Walter Reuther Library, Archdiocese Archives, U of D Library, Dearborn, and the photographic collection at the Bacon Library in Wyandotte. The attic at the cemetery has nothing to offer.

If anyone can point me in a different different direction, or has photographs of ancestors buried there, please post.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8851
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rearview,
That is one of my favourite cemeteries. I've quite a collection of B&Ws, but I'm moving to a new home and everything is being packed up.

If time is not too much of a concern, I'll be happy to meet with you in a couple of months and share my images with you, since I've shut down my darkroom and am frantically preparing for the movers.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8852
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, my scanner is in a box, but that image of Christ on the Cross on a foggy day, I made/took is stuck in my mind.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a good link with three photos. My grandparents and an uncle are buried there. I used to live across Patton Park from Holy Cross in the 1960's as well.

www.findagrave.com

Then go to their "Search for a cemetary" link and look up Holy Cross Detroit and that should take you to that page.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shouldn't be that hard..............after all......people are just DYIN' to get in!.........sorry...........co uldn't pass this one up........

Rearview

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams -
As soon as you get moved, I'd love to look at your photos of the cemetery. I tried taking black & white pictures using Ilford film, but they all came out terrible, so I resorted to taking digital black & white images for use in the book. Good luck with the move!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rearview,

Found in a 16mm projector in our family is a short film of a 1919-23 era film of Woodlawn Cemetery. I haven't seen that many flowers at a funeral since Vito Corleone died.

Across the road is the Dodge mausoleum. Do you know why moss grows on the north side of their building?

Coffin gasses escaping from the tomb. They don't have good ventilation.

Eww...

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rearview, I've been doing some genealogy research and found out that I have some relatives buried there as well. Unfortunately, they are not listed on FG so I will have to do some sleuthing in person. Do you have a website/blog to keep us up to date on the book?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown,

Go to the cemetery office. They will have a map for you.

Rearview

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown,

I might be able to help you with your research at the cemetery. Don't have a blog, but if you visit this website, you can send an email to me with the names in question.

www.rearviewrecords.net

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this cemetery anywhere near (the former) Holy Cross Hospital?

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Holy Cross Cemetary is on Dix adjacent to Patton Park in SW Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.