Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shoot Out on Broadway Last Night? » Archive through May 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was half asleep in my apartment last night when I heard what sounded like a brick of firecrackers going off. It was about 1AM or so. Looked out my window about 10 minutes later and saw about 7 or more cop cars, then later an ambulance. They were on Broadway, right next to the Opera House. I could have walked down there and checked it out, but I was in bed for the night. Nothing in the paper this morning. Anybody know?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12966
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was awakened by what I thought was a gunfight, with at least two calibers of weapons sounding...but it was a half hour later.

Here in Eastern Market, I would've sworn it was only a block or so away...but if what you say happened then a mile away I wouldn't be surprised.

There was no apparent police activity in Eastern Market afterwards.

Later in the morning, I was awakened by some fool first taking target practise...very methodically shooting one at a time over a long period. Then they went to actual firecrackers, I thought, since the sound changed.

It all ended at 5:30 when the sun started illuminating the horizon. I wonder if one of the fellows involved was trying to get better shooting after he missed earlier!

Weird, until I heard your story, I would've sworn the gunfight was within a few blocks of me here. I've got nothing to compare the sound except the fireworks from when the Tigers play.

I would've said one fellow was firing a 9mm, then another returned with a Desert Eagle .50 because of the bigger boom of a reply. I heard something like 7 to 9 lower caliber shots and only a couple or three of the larger ones...definitely a gunfight, though.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The east side was on fire all night long. Eastside Firefighters were seeing rigs from the far west side helping them. The City has gone nuts, from KK to the people. Never could figure out why people want to burn their own neighborhoods.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Desert Eagle .50"
Pretty expensive piece of hardware.

Gotdetroit

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, as for the time, it could have been 1:30AM. Like I said, I was half asleep. I looked at the clock but I can remember the exact time. About 15 minutes later there were about 4 fire trucks over on Washington Blvd. too. Seemed to be a false alarm though, as all but one left soon after arriving.

I will say, I have been hearing alot more sirens than usual downtown of late. That statement is not meant to be hyperbolic, just want I've noticed.

Gannon

Post Number: 12968
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you might've been off on the time, I don't want to learn there were TWO protracted gunfights last night.

Club_boss, yeah and once you've seen one fired you don't easily forget. The original shots were smaller caliber, either 9mm or .38...but the count of shots enough to rule out a single revolver.

The return fire was the bigger boom, and I'd swear it was more than a .45. Wish we could get the story on this, and follow up on the fire activity.

Club_boss

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’ve never had the pleasure, oh I’ve seen and handled them at gun shows (and there few and far between at gun shows) but I’ve yet to actually fire one.

Gannon

Post Number: 12969
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fucking flame shoots out about a foot or two with every round.

I've never fired one, either. Damn bullets are a buck apiece.

You will NEVER forget when someone downrange from you pulls the trigger on one. Damn hand cannon.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broadway is becoming target practice every weekend when the club lets out. I wish all the clubs were in a block span and no car traffic allowed to drive down that strip. ZONING WHERE ARE YOU?

Desert Eagles are NO joke. Hand held canons, sounds like the fireworks going off. You will know when a .50 cal round has been shot.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

I owned one in the '80's when I was an FFL! The rounds were as big around as my little finger and I never shot that bitch one handed!

I remember pulling that thing out of it's case at as range that used to be owned by a Lincoln Park cop in Brownstown. When I fired the first round, I saw the two guys at the end of the line put down their weapons and walk out of the range. Later they told me they thought I was firing a cannon!!

Got rid of that weapon for three times what I paid wholesale for it and bought a .40. Never regretted that decision!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds pretty hardcore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D esert_Eagle

Club_boss

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.50 cal Smith & Wesson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MBmI9JPOPp4

While I find the .45 ACP is more than enough gun for me in a pistol, and I would prefer a .50 caliber in a rifle as opposed to a pistol; but I must say, the .50 caliber pistol would make for some great bragging rights displayed under the right light, at just the right angle, in a polished gun cabinet.

If the opportunity presented itself would trade for it in a heartbeat

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres no way in hell you two heard the same gunfight. The distance between you two is to great, and through the city no less.

Gotdetroit

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I have no idea if we heard the same thing, I don't think we are that far apart. He/she is in Eastern Market, I'm at Grand Circus Park. About 1/2 mile, maybe a little more. The burst of "firecrackers" I heard was damn loud. And they were around 1:00 to 1:30 when I heard them. Right when he/she heard them. Eastern Market is not that far away. I've walked numerous times.

Not to say we DID hear the same thing, but it is not that unlikely that we did.

(Message edited by gotdetroit on May 26, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 12971
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to ask my sources down at Bert's, they have locations in both areas and are usually in the know, if not in the middle of things.

My best guess was my early morning wakeup was two blocks away, and I've heard gunfire from near Berts in the past. One fellow was hurt or killed down there last summer.

Problems started happening when they opened up the warehouse and started having rap concerts. The old jazz-heads are way too cool to be poppin' each other.

It really is a shame how the bravado of the youth has erupted in such mayhem, I avoid Broadway like the plaque when the clubs let out there...it's been berserk there for at least four summers, but NOTHING as bad as when the cops started clamping down when those two rookies were killed over on Fort Street.

It sure seems to be developing into a curious summer...and it ain't even summer yet. God help us when the heat arrives.

Django

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, your not talkin about Johanson Charles Gallery are you? Kevins place? Do you know Kevin.

Gannon

Post Number: 12976
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, Bert opened the huge space next to and behind his jazz joint...it can hold over 2000 people easily.

They've had all sorts of events there, including two years worth of the Dirty Show.

I've not met Kevin, as far as I know, but know many of his regular party friends...including my old hair stylist and her boss from Birmingham, back when I got my hair cut. heh

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There most assuredly was gunfire right behind the club formerly or currently known as the "Apartment" at John R and Woodward. I would say about 25 total rounds of two 9MM going off at the same time. The cops were already blocking off Broadway (without getting out of their cars or ticketing anyone), So they were on the scene unbelievably quickly. Three black young males wearing plain white t-shirts, bright white tennis shoes, and jeans were arrested, one with a spent 9MM in his hand. The time of the shooting was almost exactly 1:30AM. I know because it happened about 40 feet from my bedroom window. I have heard that 3 people actually got hit, none of them serious, but that is a neighborhood unconfirmed rumor. I have told this forum and the police in my hood that this would happen soon if they didn't put these gang bangin clubs on lockdown....no wonder people are moving out at an unbelievable rate. I moved here to make a difference...does anyone here actually care?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW,because of the way it ricochets off of the buildings, I'm fairly certain what everyone heard, even from Eastern Market, were these shots. It was unbelievably loud. I have shot guns before, and usually shoot 45's. Only on a range, but these 9MM sounded nearly like m-80 in these close quarters. My girlfriend has to sleep with quality ear plugs in, as the noise from these clubs is nearly too much to bear now....she was awoken violently by the sound, and our windows were closed and locked. Doesn't anyone who lives in the Woodward Lofts ever call and complain about the Apartment, or whatever the hell it is called? Don't any of you care?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The clubs can definitely be a problem. The same type of shit was pulled around Zoo Bar when it was in its prime a few years ago. However, I haven't seen any of that there in recent memory. At least one patrol car if not more camps out there around last call time. Has that type of show of force been happening at the Apt lately?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes GM, we care.

I recall a similar situation last winter in front of the apartment bar. Someone fired off about half a dozen shots in the neighborhood for no good reason.

Cops arrived quickly, not sure if arrests were made.

This crap is out of hand. But aside from calling the police and keeping an eye out for shady situations what can we do? People aren't shouting "let's do something" for problems like this, because really, what can we do? Call the cops? Set up sniper rifles from our apartment windows? (sounds like a good idea to me).

I've called the cops when a woman and her husband were having a fistfight in my apartment hallway. They did not arrive for nearly an hour.

Without these ghetto clubs, things would be much safer and more tolerable Downtown. Broadway has become a mess on Saturday nights. It's disgusting and unsafe.

I remember all the riffraff that used to cause problems and shoot up Foxtown every Saturday night after altered state. Since that place has moved, my evenings are quiet. Never have I been so happy for a place to move. I'm sure it is just wreaking havoc on another Neighborhood, but as long as it is NIMBY, that particular club won't be the reason that I move out of the city.

Those places need to be shut down, maybe that can be done by petitioning the city council.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you dig around campaign finance records, I have a hunch if my memory serves me right from the last cycle you'll find your reason why these places get slaps on the wrist and the cops don't move much out of their cars. I've been through there, they do absolutely nothing. It's so pathetic.

(Message edited by digitalvision on May 27, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip Hop

You wouldn't have this kind of stuff happening at a Jazz or Country Bar. I like hip hop. It's those fools that come through (often from the suburbs) who try to show how hood they are. They go to those places looking for a fight. That's why they go. They aren't that hard to spot. Their the ones all dressed to kill, walking around on something, all loud and trying to make fun of everyone. They walk around downtown and the clubs spitting venom (insults) at everyone they see. I've seen all races play the fool in that regard. Arabic, Black, Mexican, White, even Canadians. They follow hip hop because they want to play the fool. Not because they like the music.

They would be trying to start something even if those Hip Hop places didn't exist. They just act as magnets.

Why can't hip hop have some laid back venues like Jazz? That would be awesome!

Django

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im with Sean on this one. Its gonna happen either way. Shutting down clubs is a knee jerk reaction. Im not sayin I have an answer to the problem, Maybe just a couple of patrol cars close by. That doesnt seem out of line with a crowd of 2000.

And I also care. Ive got a ding dong across the street who I did some work for, weve argued before but the last time I was walkin away from him and said "you can kiss my ass", he went running into his house to get his 38.waving it in my face, I actually was able to keep cool and explain to him that he has the gun so hes the big man (maybe not the smartest thing to say) I ended it by going into my house but not after he tapped me on the noggin with that thing. I wont deny my legs shakin underneath my sweats.

So Saturday, Im hearing a bunch of shots goin off, who the hell do you think it was, YEP. I immediately called the cops on him that time.

Today, hes out there again, in front of my house, gun in hand, arguing with another ding dong. I wasnt there for that one.

Its so damn fustrating. This guys gonna wind up in jail I have no doubt, but will he kill someone first. I stay the hell away from him. On top of it all hes squatting in the house across the street.

Maybe someone can help me out with something I can do. Cops probably wont take him in unless he has his shit on him. Im not gonna have the cops show up at my house to make a complaint, I dont have fire insurance if this dick gets pissed and decides to torch me out.

I dont like guns, I have one, seems like thats all I can do. Guess i should just try and get a cops advice. Let me know what you all think. Ive got more faith in advice from you all than I do a ,,,, well someone else Ill say.

(Message edited by django on May 27, 2008)

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad I read this blog. It has helped me make a decision not to move downtown from northwest Detroit. There are some of us who are fed up with Detroit who live in Detroit neighborhoods.

I thought rather than move to another state, maybe I will move downtown.

I can tell that even though it is getting warmer,I have a feeling that this is going to be bad summer in Detroit with these young hoodlums trying to take over the streets.

I live on a nice street (lawns kept up) but I am tired of the loud bass sounding from their radios at night, and of course the random shooting from time to time.

I remember around 2004, two men were murdered, and found by the police on the sidewalk at that club located at 1500 Woodward. The bar used to be "Pure", "Candy" and I don't know what other names. But I thought it was a little bit better now. Thanks for the information.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I'd be dead if I were you. I would have probably been killed trying to "reach" that guy. LOL!

Try to talk some sense into him, even if it means going over to his side. Maybe invest in a .50 handy that you'll never use. It'll look nice though. You have to kind of be one of them in order to get anything done. You know what I mean?

If you don't... then never mind.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They would be trying to start something even if those Hip Hop places didn't exist. They just act as magnets.

The fact that the clubs "act as magnets" is precisely why they ought to be shut down. It's time the citizens of downtown, along with the business community, demand that kind of action be taken. Really, we don't need a hip-hop club in that space (currently the Apartment, formerly Pure, and Candy), or in any of the other spaces downtown. Not only will downtown not suffer if those venues are not located downtown, but the area will be benefited by the reduction in crime since the "magnets", as Sean_of_detroit called them, would be gone.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Apartment is an 18+ club therefore I never go. I am not terribly surprised given the crowd that there are issues occasionally over there.

Django, thats fucked up man. Id invest in a silencer and some leather gloves if you know what I mean, cant have anybody slapping you in the head with a .38. Or shit have Gannon go play target practice with him lets see how good of a shot he really is.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't always like this Atwater. At one time it was respectable. If there was a problem, you took it outside, and in a totally different place. Sometimes even a different day. The people who like to live by the gun seem to be forgetting how it works. You NEVER put up the whole scene. You respect the art.

Even in the old West there was order.

These magnets can be bad in themselves. I don't Deni that. But, I think these people would find somewhere else to go nearby. They'd still be causing problems. These clubs are simply places that are being abused. They're going to have their gun fight no matter what.

To be honest. I'd rather keep these places open and heavily regulated. At least then we can get something from them. They WILL operate either way. I'd bet my right shoe on that.

Django

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im still with Sean on this one. Its the sausage effect, or mushroom effect, or the balloon effect. Squeeze the problem until it goes somewhere else. Same with the drug and turf wars going on. The problem is already there, just by taking away the problems host will only mean the problem will find a new host.

Mayor, I just cant do that, Im not gonna risk my ass bein in the Fed for killin some ding dong, hell be in jail soon enough. Im layin low, biding my time. Hell get his, Im sure of it. This old piece of shit has had 3 incidents I KNOW of where hes pullin his shit out. Hell go down, maybe if Im lucky hell take the loudmouth drunk crackhead whose always causin problems around here. Two probs. with one ,,, hmmmm.. bullet. (but I dont really mean that).
I am not a proponet of the death penalty so you can probably figure how I feel about that sort of thing.

Sean, as far as "being one of them" I just wont do it. I do know what you mean, That bitch comes in my house, it Will be the last step he takes though. That goes beyond how I feel about capitol punishment. I do daydream about that happening but I know I would regret it if it did. A man can dream about being a tough guy right? lol. But no, I will not be going over there to try and talk some sense into him, he has NONE. Hell be going away soon enough I suspect. Hes an aging and angry 50 something that obviously just got this gun, hes whipped it out 3 times in the past week, Hes just all high on power, the worst kind of gun owner. Im gonna have faith he winds up where he belongs. I will not be taking the law into my hands.

And gheesh, a .50 we would be pickin up his brains out of the trees for weeks after that.