Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shoot Out on Broadway Last Night? » Archive through May 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiiiide
Dude there are plenty of neighborhoods down here that are perfectly safe. Mine is a bad example. Im poor as hell, I live in a shack, I deal with it only because I choose to live the simplest life possible while in a city. I hate to think this thread would make a major decision like that for you. Check out Indian Village, Commonwealth, Edison, Whats that new hood on Woodward just north of Comerica, anyone want to help me out here with some more?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, can you (or someone else) direct me towards learning more about getting a CCW? Don't worry. I'll actually be looking to get a non-lethal weapon. I need to learn more about the whole subject though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean,

You need a CCW class 1st of all. Pose your queries here.

http://www.migunowners.org/for um/index.php

I'm not a trainer.

Django

Post Number: 597
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_O, I saw a little sign on 6 mile offering classes to get one (CCW). I was cracking up. Only in Detroit. Ive been collecting signs lately, Id love to have that one. You know the signs Im talkin about, there like 16"X 24" cheap plastic. You see them all over the place nowadays.

I have no Idea other than that. Although Im tryin to get Gannon and Res. to show up at high noon on Tuesday June 3rd for a shootoff at the shooting range on Chene near Canfield. Gannon was talkin about how hes quite a crack shot with his 9mm. Res mentioned hes better. I tried to invoke some more trashtalk but neither bit. If it happens though, Im sure that guy who runs the range will tell you everything you need to know.

Gannon, did you see that post, Res says hes better than you, IS THAT TRUE???

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has specific information regarding a violation, or violations, about any on-premise licensee, which includes any bar, nightclub, tavern, or any establishment that dispenses alcohol by the glass:
https://www6.dleg.state.mi.us/ Parsers/complain.asp

No blind pig complaints

The Michigan Liquor Control Commission does not have jurisdiction over non-licensed premises.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fired a Desert Eagle before - I cant see how any normal human being could get off more than three accurately aimed shots with one, my arm was trembling like crazy after firing off all the rounds. Those bastards have a freaking shot gun kick. Made the Magnum we were shooting seem like a toy afterwards.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.spotcrime.com/

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I used to have a neighbor like yours. This guy was a mean SOB. He used to cuss at us whenever we walked out our door and he was outside. Anyway this guy had a (civil war?) cannon, yes CANNON, which he would occasionally fire off into the field across the street. Whenever we did anything that he didn't like, he'd go out and aim the cannon at our house! Talk about intimidation!

Regarding these clubs, why are they allowed to stay in business? If they were out in the suburbs, they would be shut down posthaste.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for the same reason Detroit has 34 of the total of 72 strip clubs in the state

The city is afraid to chase away unsavory businesses - they always cave to the threat of lawsuits and are afraid of looking bad by chasing away a functioning business.

They don't seem to consider how much trouble would be avoided and the possibility that positive improvements might follow if these businesses were gone. Detroit also has an inordinate number of liquor licenses.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip-hop causes these idiots to go around shooting like they live in the Wild Wild West? Mmkay.

So what causes the legendary riots inside and outside of the various motorcycle clubs throughout the city? Most don't seem to be geared to the hip-hop crowd...

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody is talking about causation. These idiots seem to collect at the hip hop clubs.

When downtown Motorcycle clubs start waking me up with gunfights I'll bitch about then too.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an error in logical argument to assume the following:

1. Motorcycle Club members are not involved with hip-hop culture, and
2. Motorcycle Clubs are known to be a violent culture, so
3. Hip-Hop culture is not violent.

Something like that. Its been a long time since I took a logic class, but I know that Iheartthed's logic would not pass.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True hip-hop is not necessarily violent.

However, this incarnation built around the corporatization and exploitation of young women and men with little to no opportunities does.

I'm no hip-hop expert, but I've met plenty of true folks who are not violent whatsoever. But you also don't see them carrying guns or over-blingified.

The problem lies in the glorification of a negative culture; because that glorification of sex, drugs and violence makes the most money.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Nobody is talking about causation. These idiots seem to collect at the hip hop clubs.

When downtown Motorcycle clubs start waking me up with gunfights I'll bitch about then too."

I couldn't agree more. If people frequenting the Opera started shooting up people outside my window, I'd be all for trying to get the city to either clean up the Opera, or shut down the Opera.

It's not about the music.

Two things could be done to help curb the problem. One, these clubs could institute a dress code. That'll keep most of the gang-bangers away, as dressing up would ruin their hard earned "respect". Two, have the Detroit Police dept. start sending bills to the club owners every time they have to step in to calm the violence on the streets outside their clubs.

Sure, it may not be totally do-able, but it's a start of conversation.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This a quote from an email I opened yesterday from a good friend of mine. He lives in the area. I haven't really talked with him further about the incident so I know nothing more than what I am posting.

"This morning at 1:30 am I was awaken by the beautiful sound of causual gunfire outside my window. You know, 25 to 30 rapid shots between oh....4 or 5 friends. Rushing to the window, I see a man curled up, bleeding on the sidewalk by the side of the Boll Family YMCA...the one with the awesome playground where the the kids normally play and scream waking me in the early morning on a good day.

Suspicious enough there is a cop car on the corner and another already pulling up to the scene where about 10 "ganstas" are running out of black SUV's and proceed to carry off Mr. "shit, I'm hit, I'm bleeding!" into a black car which drives off, and then they all casually walk back to thier SUV's sitting in back of the parking lot of my building and drive off unthreatened and unpurseued by those pesky cops. The officers wait for more backup, and when they show up, they all stand around a let about 15 passers by walk and drive across the bloody crime scene as 5 more cars show up.

Sadly, this is not the most messed up thing I have seen since moving to this city 8 years ago, however it is most disturbing to see the people who are supposedly defending me and those I know and love in this city watch and allow things like this to happen. And good to know they spend more time pulling me over on my bicycle for not riding close enough to the pothole and broken glass ridden curb (what a threat, as they could have busted me for speeding). I'm also so sarcastically happy that the Boll Family Y is a great place to have your ganstaland executions. Being late on a weekend night, I could have been walking home from a gig. Thank god I've avoided these dangers one more time.

I called 911 twice in the five minutes following this crime, once to report the shots, another to report the abduction of the shooting victim. As I spoke to the voice on the other side (who was interrupting me "the police are already on it, sir" as I am trying to help them understand their problem) I wondered;
If I make a statement, I'll for sure be hassled by the neighbor hood cops, and more than likely by higher powers in this city as well. Why the hell do I live, work and try to make some good light of this withering Ganstaland cestpool, run by people who could give a crap less about me or anyone else who would like to make Detroit better>?@?@??
Oh well, another day, another dollar I guess."

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fiancee' lives with me one floor below Gambling_Man. She was home alone (I was at work) on Sunday night and this whole shootout has completely freaked her out. She saw everything Gambling_ Man described. Had to give her an Ambien to sleep last night. It sucks. At least the police response was impressive.

The other thing that sucked this weekend was the DEMF Movement event at 1515 Broadway on Friday night. We had to listen to continuous mind numbing base from this adjoining building until 6:30 in the fucking morning. At least the Apartment Lounge shuts up at 2 AM. Our whole building shakes from these clubs, especially 1515.

Happily, we get married in July and move to Northville August 1st.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's amazing. From my window, all I could see were all the cop cars. I thought they might be arresting the people involved. Not just standing around.

What really bothers me, maybe not the most, but pretty damn close, is the media was completely silent on this. Nothing. I haven't seen word one about it.

Wouldn't the media, poking around and whatnot, asking a few questions of people such as the one who sent you that email, Postbop, come to the conclusion that they should make a stink about this and investigate further the actions of the police, the clubs, the City permit office, and everywhere else the media's journalistic nose might take them?

You know, a little media pressure actually sometimes forces action (see, Kwame Text Message Scandal). Even if just bringing issues to light.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, where is JT1 complaining about this?
Guess he doesn't like hearing reality sucks.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I can say is i walk down that street on daily basis at all hours of the day, and I only feel the least bit unsafe when it's 2:00 a.m. on a weekend night and the clubs are letting out.

This city would benefit from having more business owners with creativity, instead of opening up cookie-cutter nightclubs to make money off young kids. Those clubs are all just cash cows for the respective owners, at the expense of the community expense.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12982
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One explanation that fits both Gamblingman's witness and the one from the anonymous e-mailer is that the person who was hit was a known plainclothes, undercover, or Executive Protection Unit officer and the uniformed officers did not want to break their cover if they could extricate themselves and not make the regular joes write lengthy reports about stuff they would have to forget.

Nobody saw where this black sedan carrying the bleeding man went?!

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Happily, we get married in July and move to Northville August 1st.

Thanks for trying! NEXT!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

We'll be frequent visitors and we'll always be huge supporters. The taxes and safety issues this thread highlights made the decision easy. Still, we'll always have a very warm spot for living in the D.

Rax

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey that's dynamite. Join the crowd. So basically you don't think downtown is very safe based on your experiences. Is that what you are saying?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rax, how can you blame anyone for being trepidacious about moving downtown after hearing accounts like those above? accounts that not only speak to the occasional violence, but apparently, also the lax police response/proactivity regarding such. it is not confidence inspiring, especially in the face of possibly uprooting ones whole life to move to this place.

Django

Post Number: 608
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax
Doc's woman was freaked, you've got to respect that. Not everyone is cut out for living here. You have to admit, were kind of a rare breed.

Rax

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not blaming him for anything. Get out while the gettin' is good. I'm just trying to establish motive.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that is what he is saying.

Now that I think of it why was Broadway blocked off at about 2:30 Sunday morning by police cars? Did something happen two nights in a row?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not blaming him for anything. Get out while the gettin' is good. I'm just trying to establish motive.

right on, right on...took it the wrong way is all

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 463
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Apartment (1500 WOODWARD) has only two minor citations in their violation history, both were issued by the Detroit Police department…

One was in 12/24/06
PREMISES OCCUPIED AFTER THE LEGAL HOUR: DPD-CENTRAL DISTRICT

One was: 12/25/07
1. SOLD OR FURNISHED ALCOHOLIC TO UNNAMED PATRONS, BETWEEN THE HRS OF 9:00 PM, 12-24-07 AND 7:00 AM, 12-26-07:

2. THE LICENSEE, ENGAGED IN AN ILLEGAL OCCUPATION OR ILLEGAL ACT UPON THE LIC'D PREMISES, SPECIFICALLY: OPERATING A BUSINESS W/OUT A CITY OF DETROIT BUSINESS LICENSE, IN VIOLATION OF DETROIT CITY CODE

3. ALLOWED DANCING ON THE LIC'D PREMISES W/OUT OBTAINING A DANCE OR DANCE-ENTERTAINMENT PERMIT ISSUED BY THE COMMISSION: (DPD-07-02-CENTRAL DISTRICT)

Also I don’t see an on-premise liquor license for 1515 Broadway, at least I don’t see one in the listings, that is it’s not a bar, it is possible that it could be listed under an old business name and I’m missing it.

There is an active business license @ 1515 Broadway, and the records indicate that there has no change in ownership since 2000.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it my correct understanding that Gannon is saying a EPU officer was shot, uniformed cops responded and blocked off traffic until the EPU officer could be scooped up and driven away? Then the uniforms poluted the crime scene?

Forgive me, but in reading this thread, there sounds like there were two or three shootings, is that correct?
One, up on Broadway near the Opera House(Gotdetroit)
Two, at John R and Woodward (Gamblingman)
Three, behind the Ymca where Farmer turns into Library at Grand River. (PostBop)

All of these happened between 1 and 1:30 AM Sunday morning?

Gambling man says 3 youths were arrested. Postbop says they all got away and Gotdetroit doesn't know what happened because he was sleeping.

Meanwhile, all these shootings are going on while 1515 Broadway is bustin a move.

Not that a doubt anyone, but what did I miss here?