Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Riverside Park for Sale? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard this AM that Riverside Park at the foot of West Grand Blvd. is up for sale for $5 million. This great location which has seen little investment over the years cannot be lost to the citizens of Detroit. I suspect Manny Mouron has his ete on it. Please if any of you insiders know about this put it out there so the sale can be stopped.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6014
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please take a look at this:

http://www.greenwaycollab.com/ images/Riverside%20Park/Rivers ide%20Park%20Plan.pdf

What is the source of your information?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is trying to buy Riverside ?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was discussed at todays City Council's Planning and Econ. Dev. Committee meeting. Sewerage department is interested. Tabled but on the horizon. Kennyatta involved.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great place to watch the fireworks from (if I recall correctly that this is the one in mexicantown).

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May have something to do with an announcement Kwame made a few months ago that he wanted to sell parks in the city to generate revenue. Sounded cockamamie to me, but you can never underestimate the intellect of Kwame!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt Riverside Park will be sold since it is planned as the west end of the Riverwalk. Also, Michigan law makes it a little more difficult for cities to sell parks. It's not a trivial undertaking.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the session, DWSD wants to buy a part to build a combined sewage overflow

You watch all council meeting here:
http://www.helloworld.com/memb ers_myworld.aspx?ID=DCCTV&targ et=show

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6016
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That kind of changes the whole thing, now doesn't it?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though it doesn't mention Riverside Park, here's an article about Kwame's desire to sell almost 1/3 of the city's parks (mostly small playgrounds).

www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/us/ 29parks.html - Dec 28, 2007

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.