Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fisher Boat Works Inc. Picture in Vivios « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4823
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the story on this business? Are these PT boats?

Fisher Boat Works Detroit

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see a photo. But Fisher was located on E. Jefferson and made a fair share of subchasers during the War. Possibly a few pt boats, too.
They also got into the presidential yacht business.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell they must be brand new Patrol boats check this link
http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/ patrol/

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are Patrol Coastal vessels. PC663 was delivered to the Navy in May of 42 and PC662 was delivered in July of 42. Looks like Fisher Boat works delivered 40 PC boats to the Navy during the war.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox--what did they use for power?

Scripps?

Packard?

none of the above?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisher Boat Works location is now (and has been for around 45 years) occupied by the Gregory Boat Company, no? Eastsiders?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler's link takes you to a listing of WW II Patrol Frigates. My father served on one of them, the USS Davenport (PF-69) and I have researched and created this web site about the USS Davenport and the men who served on her. While the Davenport was on a Aug. 1945 weather patrol in the North Atlantic, they were ordered to tow the disabled subchaser SC-705 into the port of Reykjavik, Iceland.

Despite their initial "PC" designation, the two ships shown in Lowell's photos are also Submarine Chasers and were eventually given the SC designation.

Here are the stories of SC-662 and SC-663. They were powered by "two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts".

Lowell, assuming that there are no copyright issues involved, if you would please send me a higher-resolution version of that image, I will see to it that it gets added to the SC-662 & 663 pages at NavSource. Please give me whatever information you have on the source of the photo and I will make sure it gets included in the photo credit on the NavSource web pages.

For more information about the sub chasers of WW II, visit the Splinter Fleet web site.

(Message edited by Mikeg on May 28, 2008)

Grosseile
Username: Grosseile

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell:
This type of ship (PC) was a WWII submarine chaser. Five hundred eighty SC-497 Class wood-hulled, 110-foot Submarine Chasers (SC) were built during World War II, with 142 of these being used by our Allies under the Lend-Lease Program. The origin of the WW II Submarine Chaser traces back to WW I and the 440 ship SC-1 Class wooden-hulled "Splinter Fleet." The SC was designed for off-shore patrols and anti-submarine warfare. They were one of many weapons used to defeat the Nazi U-Boat menace along the Atlantic seaboard. The SC also played a role in Amphibious Landing, both in Europe and the Pacific. Seventy SCs were converted for use as Beach Control Craft and designated Control Submarine Chasers (SCC). The ships originally carried the hull letter PC. PC-662 was laid down 4 November 1941 by the Fisher Boat Works, Detroit, MI; Launched 11 April 1942; Commissioned 10 June 1942; Transferred to the Coast Guard 11 October 1945. Fate unknown. PC-663 was laid down 4 November 1941 by the Fisher Boat Works, Detroit, MI; Launched 22 April 1942; Commissioned SC-663, 2 July 1942; Transferred to the Soviet Union 5 June 1945 as BO-318. Fate unknown. Both ships specifications: Displacement 148 t; Length 110"; Beam 17'; Draft 6' 6"; Speed 21 or 15.6 kts; Complement 28; Armament one 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two dcp "Y Gun," and two dct; Propulsion two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts. I wasn't able to find information concerning their WW II operational service. Like many of Detroit’s industrial partners that formed the “arsenal of democracy,” Fisher built a number of these ships as did a number of smaller shipyards in the Great Lakes and nationwide. Hope this helps.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisher brought out the presidential yacht, Margie, named after Truman's daughter, Margaret. Ike, Kennedy and Nixon all used this vessel, renaming it each time for one of their own loved ones.
I recall that Fisher was a successor company to another Detroit company, like Puigeot Boat or something like that. Their facility was at Conner's Creek.
FMC built the Eagle boats in WWI. Fisher supplied subchasers in WW II. Detroit was truly the Arsenal of Democracy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.