Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Red Bull Air RaceTickets Available « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard the Detroit Princess has added a cruise for the Air Race. Tickets are $30...

They have some info on the website, when I called they said more info will be available later today on the specifics of the cruise. Apparently they are departing the dock at Hart Plaza at 11am and will be anchored near Chene Park for the viewing.. Looks like you can already purchase them on line though....

https://www.detroitprincess.co m/cruiseinfo.php?date=2008-6-1 &cid=15247

Pkatmsu
Username: Pkatmsu

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down on the riverfront and talked to one of the crew members tonight after they got back to the dock from their anchor spot and was told that the view was awesome. They are sitting right below the planes as they fly to the start and finish line. When I asked about their choice of location (opposed to being in the middle of the course) the guy I talked to told me that the coast guard is shutting down the river and that is the position they have been assigned. Sounds like fun... I'm thinking about going. I know they have plenty of drinks on there! Might be a nice Sunday in the sun...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question.

So you can't watch the race for free in one of our many skyscrapers or gorgeous riverside mid/high rises (or Belle Isle Park) for free?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Infants are $30? Ridiculous.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As the entire river is shut down to recreational and commercial traffic, we must depart our docking facility by 11:30am to comply with FAA regulations."

Makes sense that they would close down the river to traffic, but since when does the FAA regulate water traffic? Is this common?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don’t know about the FAA, but the Captain of the Port of Detroit has established a security zone from Cobo Hall to Chene Park. Today & yesterday, the river at Downtown is/was closed to recreational traffic from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. See the US Coast Guard press release below. http://www.piersystem.com/go/d oc/443/204176/

Commercial vessels are technically allowed to transit the zone during these hours, but the thousand-footer American Spirit was held until certain practice rounds were completed. Although they left their dock at Zug Island at 11:55, they were not cleared to transit the zone until 12:08.

If you look at the pix in the links below, you’ll see why. The bow of the vessel is bow-on with the red pylon (not in the first link). The red pylons are where the planes zig zag in & out. If a boat the size of a thousand-footer (the American Spirit is 1,004 feet long & 105 feet wide) is transiting the area during a practice round, there is a good chance the plane & vessel will collide, especially if the plane is flying on the red pylons.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a wwordynerdy/2528686105/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a wwordynerdy/2534297389/

On Saturday & Sunday, during the official qualifying & race runs, no vessels will be allowed to transit – the river will be closed.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Auspower. I have been trying to get last second tics with no luck.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

US Coast Guard--that makes more sense.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, awesome pics, Awfavre.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how this looks like it was written with a typewriter: http://piersystem.com/posted/4 43/Red_Bull_Final_Rule_COTP_Si gned.204184.pdf

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bulletmagnet.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the ticket info, I'll be aboard the Princess with sister Judy and best friend and confidant Al. Nice way to kick off a long awaited summer, my favorite time of year!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.