Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » American Axle bullshit » Archive through May 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4375
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amer Axle CEO: UAW Pact Brings About $300 Million Cost Reductions

American Axle 2009-2013 New Business Backlog $1.4 Billion

American Axle to Cut 2,000 U.S. Factory Jobs

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it too much to ask to type "bullschitt" instead?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why "bullschitt"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That way, technically, you're not swearing in the phucking subject line.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think bullshit sums it up nicely.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're not but you are...

silly games

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... how long does anyone think they would continue to be a profitable company with their labor rates... what... 40/50% higher than their UAW competitors?

It sucks for the workers, no doubt. There's no refuting that. But is AA's stance about greed, though, or just another auto supplier trying to avoid eventual bankruptcy? Look down the road a couple years...

Plenty of BS (<---notice the abbreviation of that "other" word) on all sides here, I think.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phuck the bullschitt....

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it sucks for the auto workers, but, what the hell? They're only the people creating the wealth and doing other stuff like supporting local businesses, raising the next generation of children, paying the income taxes the fund the community, etc. The company needs that money to survive, pay bonuses and reward stockholders! :-(

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it seems bad but there isn't necessarily a correlation between increased revenues and profitability. Case in point Black Enterprise magazine in the early days of its existence started its top 500 business rankings based strictly on revenues.What started to happen was that its top businesses one year was gone the next, bankrupt. They had to start using a different criteria to develop there rankings.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, most everyone is taking paycuts in this economy. No? Why should AA workers be any different?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people are taking pay cuts. But not all. The top 1 percent in this country are getting richer and richer every year. They are taking enormous pay raises! How about those people? Why should THEY be any different?

Lilpup

Post Number: 4376
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just paycuts. It's US job cuts, too.

Dow's CEO spoke up today, blaming lack of Federal energy policy for declining demand in US markets, but the last few years of domestic job cutting play a role in that, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080528/ap_on_bi_ge/dow_price_increase;_ylt=Ai8iVGcHc98l4WOzICQMOmCs0NUE
quote:

"For years, Washington has failed to address the issue of rising energy costs and, as a result, the country now faces a true energy crisis, one that is causing serious harm to America's manufacturing sector and all consumers of energy," Chairman and Chief Executive Andrew Liveris said in a statement.

"The government's failure to develop a comprehensive energy policy is causing U.S. industry to lose ground when it comes to global competitiveness, and our own domestic markets are now starting to see demand destruction throughout the U.S."

(Message edited by lilpup on May 28, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've been offshoring manufacturing for so long that the American economy is essentially all hollowed-out, but the government just juggles the statistics to make it seem as though everything's fine.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pay cut and still having a job sure beats your job being off shored after you train your replacement and telling people you can't find a job 6 months later.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A pay cut and still having a job sure beats your job being off shored after you train your replacement and telling people you can't find a job 6 months later."

Amen! I lost my job after my company was sold. I sat with people for a month to bring them up to speed on the projects I was working on, then I was told my "services were no longer required." That was nine months ago and I'm still looking. I would have gladly stayed on for less money if that would have been an option. I knew the economic and automotive climate wasn't conducive to finding another job.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Oh, yes, it's so great to have a job. Every morning, I get down on my knees and thank god I have a job. Want me to work for less? That's better than not having a job. Want to steal my pension? That's OK. At least I still have a job. Want to make my working conditions more dangerous? Who care! I still have a job. Want to be able to fire me at any time? That's OK, as long as I still have my little job. Even as I pull my kids out of school and put them to work, even as my wife goes around cleaning people's houses to make enough money to pay the bills I used to pay, even then, I thank the good lord: I have a job.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am laid off right now. I don't expect I will have a steady job again. I will just bounce from one temporary gig to the next.

As I keep hearing: "The American Dream has ended."

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I see the union hall rhetoric has returned.

$300 million in savings seems high to me, the estimates I have seen only put the savings at 180 million. Of course with GM losing 3 billion they will be looking to squeeze the suppliers some more.

quote:

Want to be able to fire me at any time?

You do realize if those companies could fire people and have actually layoffs they wouldn't have to cut wages and benefits. Your union sells you out every contract to keep numbers up.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't have a contract, the NLRB says your company can fire you without giving you a reason. If you don't have a contract, you can't negotiate wages and benefits -- unless you're executive material.

Oh, yes, those poor, cornered companies "having to" cut wages and benefits because they can't "fire people." My heart overflows with pity.

_sj_

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you might need a trip into the real world.

quote:

Oh, yes, those poor, cornered companies "having to" cut wages and benefits because they can't "fire people." My heart overflows with pity.

Then stop complaining when it happens becuase you are part of the problem not the solution. People have told you for years this is not sustainable. But oh no you knew better.

One thing that always holds true with unionists, there lack of business and fiscal understanding. It never fails, you are doomed to repeat this cycle forever as you never learn a thing. These mistakes have been made for decades and you are still paying for them. But keep on holding onto that dream that it is the only way to do business and other workers get screwed.

This #1 mentality has to go. It has crept into to many hearts and minds.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The businesses that I worked for that had union workers also did not fire poor performing managers or supervisors who were not part of the bargaining unit, and often would instead "transfer" or "reassign" them to other departments or locations, which was in essence sweeping those problem employees under the corporate rug.

Unfortunately for these companies, doing so often did not cure the employee's underlying problems, which often involved harassment, sexual or otherwise.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4378
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

$300 million in savings seems high to me

It's American Axle saying it and I doubt they'd err on the high side.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, flanders, that's totally different. Reducing costs only counts when your talking about worker's pay and benefits.

When it comes to mediocre managers and executives, why, their bonuses can't be cut! Just because the corporation is doing poorly is no reason to skimp on the bonuses. They EARN those 10, 20, 50, 100 million dollar bonuses. If they didn't get those mega-million bonuses, why, they would just stand up and go to another corporation and get them. Which ones, you say? Ah.........well, another one, that's for sure. At any rate, those huge bonuses have NOTHING to do with a corporation's costs.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marxism didn't work, guys. Economically unfeasible. Rail and bitch if it makes you feel better, but there's no viable alternative.

This system works, and one day will bring us back.

_sj_

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the bonuses again, most of these are not monetary bonuses but accounting bonuses but they never bother to tell that in the newspaper, in the meeting hall, or the cafeteria. Are they out of control? Yes they are but in the grand scheme of things 2,000 workers with wages and benefits cost far more than the CEO compensation, costs of goods sold and the costs to operate the factory. But fiscal policy and economics is never taught at the union hall just we are #1, we are the hardest workers, we make the country go and all that other bullshit that you people spit out at the drop of a hat.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish that they would have voted NO for the $10.00 pay cut. Now, they will begin to further walk all over them. With their experience they should just leave town and go to a place that will pay them what they are worth. Let A. A. train newbies. The newbies will be getting paid what they are worth. But it is too late. Once you take a concession it's steady downhill from there. Oh, WAH!!

Wash_man

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just wish that they would have voted NO for the $10.00 pay cut. Now, they will begin to further walk all over them. With their experience they should just leave town and go to a place that will pay them what they are worth."

So, you think they should be earning $10-$12? Per what the market dictates for their "skills" that's about all they are worth right now. If jobs in the $28 range were so plentiful else where as you suggest, I doubt the unemployment rate would be what it is.

Wash_man

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an employee is "worth" and what a union negotiates for them are usually two VERY different numbers.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOB OPENING:

CEO/OWNER
Automotive Manufacturing Company located in SE Michigan

Talented and aggressive yet anti-capitalist CEO and Owner is sought to create and grow an automotive supplier. Must be able to pay workers 2-3 times the going rate yet somehow sell products at market prices to very cost-conscious, unprofitable automakers.

Armchair experts with no business management experience or capital encouraged to apply. Ability to make outlandish broad-brush statements a plus. Knowledge of basic business practices and economic fundamentals not required. Must ignore realities of the marketplace yet have know-it-all attitude. Envy and resentment toward accomplished executives and managers helpful.