Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » I'm voting no on the zoo » Archive through May 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the detractors:

Zoos are usually not tourist attractions for outsiders; they're educational and entertainment institutions for the benefits of the residents.

I would agree that as much of the cost of running the zoo should be covered by admissions, without becoming too cost prohibitive so as to deter people from coming.

I believe most cities finance their zoos with taxpayers' money. Some even have free admission (Chicago). If there are any that are privately owned, I'd be willing to consider their methods for Detroit.

The zoo needs to survive the time period between when you brought your kids to the zoo and when they will bring your grandkids to the zoo. Kind of like the public school system: If you don't have kids in school at the time, it seems like a waste. But if you do (and can't afford private school), it's quite a good value.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have got to be kidding me if you don't think Detroit residents visit the Metro Parks? There may not be any in Detroit, but I'll be damned if I don't see dozens of black mega-family reunions in there every year. And while I can't assume that all black people in the Metro Parks are from Detroit, I do know that places like Huron TWP are like 1% black and nearly 80% of the Tri-County black population lives in the city of Detroit or Highland Park.

I walk my dog through Elizabeth Park in downtown Trenton all the time, and I see more black (and arabic and indian) people there than would otherwise be represented in the city. (Trenton's black population makes up 0.4% of the total population). In 2000, 73 residents were Black or African American out of 19,584. Elizabeth Park is payed for by all Wayne County residents and therefore is open to everyone, so it shouldn't be a surprise that people from all over the county (as well as areas outside of the county) would visit the park.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree that zoos are not for those living outside the area in the zoo is located. Every summer for years when we travelled around the country on vacation, at least one zoo was always on our itinerary! It was a must for our kids! Each zoo is a different experience, and we have great memories of unique happenings during our visits to probably 15 to 20 different zoos.

Around here, I'm hardpressed to identify any neighbors, friends or family members who have been to the Detroit Zoo in recent memory...just like they haven't been to Greenfield Village in years.

While I'm sure that the majority of Zoo's visitors are from the area, I think that they still depend on the Zoo attracting visitors who are not residents of the metro Detroit area. And if the quality of the Zoo can't attract tourists, then the Zoo suffers financially and has to downsize or somehow cut costs which leads to more downturn.

We must vote Yes on the Zoo millage!!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7911
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina. I think that's what Gistok was stating about Jt1's perception of the metro parks.

I've gone to numerous metro parks and I think there are people from all around this region that attend there. They're simply nice big palatial places to hold big family reunions and other gatherings.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoos are not really "educational".

Placing animals in faux-environments for the enjoyment of others, is not educational.

Turn on Animal Planet, Discovery, any number of cable channels will have more information, show animals in their true environment, and won't cost your those living in neighboring cities a dime.

Retroit

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll use the money I save from not having cable to go visit the zoo!

If you never learned anything from going to the zoo when you were a kid, what exactly were you doing there? Chasing the girls?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7913
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I wouldn't exactly say that going to a zoo is completely non-educational. Ever listen to the docents in the butterfly exhibit at the Zoo, they're super knowledgeable and the reading the plaques around some of the enclosures is informative as well. Of course one can learn vast amounts more by reading and watching things like Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, etc. but seeing the animals live is a part of the experience of going to the Zoo.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6878
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... I miss visiting the Chimp Amphitheatre... back in the days when zoos were not only educational, but entertaining as well...

Out of curiosity, at what point did zoos stop using animals "circus style"? Was it the 1970's.

We no longer have zoo celebrities like in the olden days when they had Joe Mendi, Joe Mendi II and Paulina the Elephant:

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=204

One interesting thing is that Joe Mendi was at the Scopes Monkey Trial in Dayton Tennessee. He wasn't actually at the trial, but performing for the throng of visitors who had gathered for the "trial of the century":

http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/ exhibits/scopes/

Once when Joe Mendi was performing at the Michigan Theatre downtown, Bob Hope nearly flipped when he saw that he had 2nd billing to Joe Mendi on the marquee at the Michigan.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...but I'll be damned if I don't see dozens of black mega-family reunions in there every year."

LOL LOL LOL

I wonder if I am mega black. What makes something mega black?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read it again, Vizion..it's "mega-family," not "mega-black." Presumably meaning really large gatherings, ya know?

On topic, I'll vote yes for anything the zoo wants that won't actually put me in the poorhouse. Hard to put a price on all the great times had there, hard to believe anyone would.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always visit zoos in other cities when we go. Sometimes we visit other cities just to see the zoos (Utica NY, Providence RI come to mind).

Detroit has an excellent zoo, and I hope most people in the area support it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, I WILL lose all hope and trust for the 4 million people here if they vote no for the Zoo tax. :-)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"The zoo is a great asset. I went by yesterday morning and traffic was backed up down the I-696 exit ramp to Woodward waiting to get into the zoo"

I'm sure the animals were thrilled with all the tons of carbon monoxide being pumped into what little habitat they have left. Sounds like a great asset, let's create more destination places we have sit idle in our cars for hours for in order to pretend that it's authentic.

On a happier note, as long as we keep sitting around in our cars in line for the zoo and at fast food drive-ins, the zoo's will be the only place on earth for us to even look at any animals (for a few more years anyway). So please, everyone drive to the f..in zoo this weekend and park in their acres of asphalt parking lots....so when your kids have kids, they can take them to the zoo to look at pictures on the wall and they can say 'that's what a polar bear used to look like...oh, those little black and white waddling things used to be birds, but they didn't fly...'

get my point?

Jb3

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"The zoo is a great asset. I went by yesterday morning and traffic was backed up down the I-696 exit ramp to Woodward waiting to get into the zoo"

I'm sure the animals were thrilled with all the tons of carbon monoxide being pumped into what little habitat they have left. Sounds like a great asset, let's create more destination places we have sit idle in our cars for hours for in order to pretend that it's authentic.

On a happier note, as long as we keep sitting around in our cars in line for the zoo and at fast food drive-ins, the zoo's will be the only place on earth for us to even look at any animals (for a few more years anyway). So please, everyone drive to the f..in zoo this weekend and park in their acres of asphalt parking lots....so when your kids have kids, they can take them to the zoo to look at pictures on the wall and they can say 'that's what a polar bear used to look like...oh, those little black and white waddling things used to be birds, but they didn't fly...'

get my point?

Jb3

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now i'm just being abnoxious....g'night all, and yes, you should patronize the zoo, just be conscientious of your actions and the effect they have on everything around you please. As consumers, we actually do have the power to make intelligent choices and not simply take what they give us. Peace.

quote:

get my point?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

support it or dont support it - who cares. the region will keep the zoo going.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"mega-family reunion" - a very large gathering of people (sometimes numbering in the 100's) related to each other. I also see white mega-familiy reunions as well. In fact, I see a diverse cultural cross-section every time I visit one of the Metro Parks.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 441
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Children across Southeast Michigan love the Zoo!

My parents are voting Yes!

Where are you from?
JT1 because if you were born and raised here you would love the Detroit Zoo!

Retroit

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 and Jb3, are you two twins? Don't tell me you're triplets and there's a "Jk2"? Or did he stray too close to the lion's cage when he was a little boy? That might explain your vituperations.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vituperations?

Goodness, such a word,... comes from a mega-family of words that are all stuck in a traffic jam eating freedom fries and feeding the leftovers to penguins. Reutherless bastards.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tauber family has made a sizeable contribution to the zoo for the refurbishing of the Chrysler diesel locomotives and cars that take patrons back to Africa Land Station, and which also includes upkeep to the main station at the front of the zoo,and some of the track that had fallen into disrepair. They are good people. I recall riding on the original trains that were pulled by two steam engines donated by the Detroit Zoo, one of which is still on static display.
Macomb County has apparently ( finally ) come on board. I'm in now that all three counties are supporting the millage.

The_rock

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tauber family has made a sizeable contribution to the zoo for the refurbishing of the Chrysler diesel locomotives and cars that take patrons back to Africa Land Station, and which also includes upkeep to the main station at the front of the zoo,and some of the track that had fallen into disrepair. They are good people. I recall riding on the original trains that were pulled by two steam engines donated by the Detroit News, one of which is still on static display.
Macomb County has apparently ( finally ) come on board. I'm in now that all three counties are supporting the millage.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a truly sad look at the train ... don't know if this is the train you are speaking of Rock, but it sure does look sad.
http://www.glancytrains.com/ph p-cgi/gallery/album37

I think the Detroit News donated the trains, at least according to this article:
http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=204

The_rock

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are on the right track, Gnome. That's the one. I still have not gotten around to calling Bob Cosgrove to find out where the warehouse yard is located. And who actually owns the train. I am just assuming its the City.
Yes, the Detroit News did donate the steam engines, and it was Chrysler which paid for and now has refurbished the diesels. I did not realize that both of my posts got posted, as I tried to correct Zoo to News, but both made it. Loco #3003 is the static display at the Zoo, the one rusting in the yard is #30001, and the photo you included showing Mr. Scripps and Mr. Holden in the article shows #3000. I wonder if there was ever a #3002?
Riding those trains has always been a highlight for me, my kids and now the grandkids when we visit the Zoo. Myspacetv has some neat video, too.
It would really be great if the old #3001 and maybe a car or two could be restored and made a static display at the Main Museum. Old zoo steam engine upstairs, the Glancy model trains downstairs. WOW! What a drawing card! And not just for train buffs.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can not believe people are getting to vote on issues like this. The governments should just raise property taxes a % or two, and put that money into the ZOO. There is no need to have to have a vote on allowing funding.

American's get to vote on way to much. What is the point of voting in elected officals if you are just going to vote on every little budget issue?

(Message edited by miketoronto on May 26, 2008)

Retroit

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Democracy? Don't they have that in Canada?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't have a democracy. It is a representative republic.

Retroit

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Representative republics are democracies!

de·moc·ra·cy 1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

Technically, we're a Constitutional Federal Presidential Republic.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, the Chimp Ampitheater was shut down back in the late 70's due to the non-education nature of the exhibit. They did not wear costumes, or performed on cue in the wild, and in was deemed that they shouldn't do the same at the zoo.

Miketoronto, voting on "every little budget issue" is what makes this country superior to others. The power of government is derived from the governed, and this is how we put the brakes on people that get generous with other people's money.

Finally, we're a Constitutionally limited republic (look it up, it's under Art 4, Sec 4, Sec 4. for those who've forgotten). We're not a democracy because the rights of the minorities cannot be trampled on by the majority. Democracies are no different than mob rule.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 871
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree Mcp001. Voting on every little budget issue does not make the US superior, but rather resorts in third world service in most major cities, lack of transit service, and lack of world class institutions like a zoo.
The fact that a major city is even having a vote on if to keep a zoo operating or not is not a good sign.